Anesthesia for hair removal (depilation) — types, Crema EMLA, lidocaine, anesthetic techniques
If we are talking about the plucking or pulling of hair, it is often quite non-pharmacological ways to reduce pain:
- choose a specialist who has experience in hair removal with wax, as the coherence and clarity of movements depends on the speed and painless hair removal;
- the use of body scrub will make it easier to hair removal because it will reduce the pain;
- it is not necessary to numb the skin with ice before the procedure, as this promotes muscle tension, lifting the hair, helps to narrow pores, because to remove the hair is much more difficult, and the procedure might be more painful; it is better to use ice immediately after the procedure;
- do not use tanning substances – those substances that make the skin more thick, for example, alcohol and alcohol-containing cosmetic products, as this complicates the extraction of hair from the hair follicles and makes the procedure more painful; it is better to use alcohol-containing lotion after the procedure for disinfection of a surface;
- you can check how it will affect your sensitivity to pain alcohol and coffee: some of these drinks contribute to better tolerance of the procedure, but there are those who initiate alcohol or caffeine leads to increased sensitivity to pain;
- select the «right» day to remove hair, focusing on the stages of the menstrual cycle: most women most painless hair removal occurs in the first week after menstruation, and hair removal before, or while it can be unbearably painful;
- follow the breath, it helps to distract from the sensations when removing hair: pull your hair is at the beginning of a deep inhalation;
- before the procedure it is good to take a hot bath, sit in the sauna or the bath, i.e. any way to steam the skin, for this purpose you can use compresses with towels soaked in warm water; but before waxing, the skin must be wiped dry;
- hold independent hair removal only when you read the rules of the procedure, how to apply the wax, and most importantly, to tear his hair is crisp, sharp motion; if you pull up or sideways and understeer, it will be very painful and increase the risk to injure the skin.
Any procedures for hair removal in the area of deep bikini and radical methods of getting rid of unwanted hair, for example, in laser hair removal, most people require the use of painkillers.
There are three options:
- the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs inside;
- the application of pain medications on the skin at the site of the proposed procedures;
- infiltrative anaesthesia – subcutaneous injection of painkillers.
Tablets for oral administration
Painkillers in pill can be just a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) like indomethacin, diclofenac, Ketoprofen, naproxen, ibuprofen, and others. It should be noted that this listing is in descending order of severity of the analgesic effect from the strong.
To take an aspirin is not desirable due to its pronounced influence on the viscosity of the blood. It reduces the viscosity and increases the risk of the appearance of «blood dew» in the place of hair removal, subcutaneous hematoma in the place of depilation.
Now there’s a pill in which nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs combined with mild tranquilizers, for example, «Helped».
Such drugs are sold in pharmacies without a doctor’s prescription, is completely safe, and facilitate an emotional response to pain. Thus, it can be much easier to endure the procedure using a smaller number of NSAIDs, the effect of which on the organism is not very useful.
For local anesthesia the use of such preparations, as lidocaine and prilocaine.
Lidocaine applied in the form of a soluble salt of lidocaine hydrochloride.
Raster lidocaine hydrochloride can be applied topically, applying it to the skin and mucous membranes, subcutaneously, intramuscularly and intravenously.
Intramuscular and subcutaneous administration the drug takes effect within 5-15 minutes, when applied to the mucous membranes and on the skin and the accumulation of sufficient amount in the region of nerve endings.
The accumulation time is very individual and depends on many conditions:
- skin temperature and the presence and thickness of the skin layer of lubricating grease or creams;
- the amount of drug in the skin and mucous membranes;
- dry the solution, or is under moisture-retaining bandage, also called occlusal;
- residence time of the drug solution on the skin.
Contraindications for use of lidocaine
- drug idiosyncrasy: before using lidocaine, you must remember whether you treated the teeth under local anesthesia, and have you had any reaction to the introduction of an anesthetic drug;
- a history of seizures, including the introduction of lidocaine;
- the presence of atrio-ventricular blockade 2 and 3 of the article, syndrome sick sinus syndrome Wolff-Parkinson-white syndrome Adams-Stokes;
- by reducing the frequency of heart beat, tendency to low blood pressure;
- myasthenia gravis, porphyria, severe disruption of the liver and kidneys;
- the age of 12.
Side effects of lidocaine
- weakness, drowsiness or the opposite of euphoria;
- nystagmus, photophobia, double vision;
- hearing impairment;
- numbness of lips and tongue;
- trembling of the limbs, convulsions;
- irregular heartbeat, drop in blood pressure;
- Allergy to the drug in the form of rhinitis, conjunctivitis, angioedema, pruritus, urticaria, anaphylactic shock;
- nausea, vomiting;
- pain at the injection site;
- chills, sensation of heat, the temperature drop of the body.
Compared with lidocaine pain relief from prilocaine slower and it has less risk of side effects. During their concomitant use can you get more long-lasting effect of local anesthesia. Applying drugs to the skin.
For skin and mucous membranes is necessary to use a 10% solution of lidocaine hydrochloride. If mucous the drug is absorbed quickly, through the skin, the lidocaine penetrates poorly.
Often the pain when epilating the bikini area from the spray with lidocaine based on the placebo effect when the patient believes that the drug will help, and this confidence helps him to reduce sensitivity to pain.
Not much enhances the action of the spray, and an occlusive bandage, wear you need at least an hour to get minimally pronounced effect. If you apply the spray on the skin for 15-30 minutes before the procedure and let it dry, then you should not have an epidural at all.
The cream and plaster «EMLA»
«EMLA» contains lidocaine and prilocaine, which is specially designed for use on the skin. To anesthetize the skin, they only followed the instructions, which says that at a depth of 2 mm is necessary to keep the cream under an occlusive dressing for 60 minutes at 3 mm to 120 minutes.
To accelerate absorption into the skin cream you can refurbish, the Effect lasts for 2 hours after removal of the dressing.
The approximate consumption of the cream – 1-2 grams per 10 cm2 area of skin of the body. For the area of the skin and mucous membranes of the genital organs it is necessary to use 5-10 grams of cream.
Cream do not use on broken skin, as it increases the risk of side effects lidocaine and prilocaine, especially allergic reactions.
Patches «EMLA» can also be used for analgesia of the skin before the hair removal procedure. But applying patches is limited by their small size. And at the same time you can only use 3 patch. Because they can be pasted into the most painful for hair removal areas if these areas are small in size, for example, in the armpits. If bikini wax better to use the cream «EMLA».
Video: Pain when waxing
Cream Light Dep
Novelty, which, however, some managed to try and even compare the effect of the new cream with the usual «Amlai». Apply the cream when epilating when there is an Allergy to «AMLO» or individual intolerance of any of its constituent substances.
Available light DEP two types: for face 15 ml volume and body volume of 30 ml. also requires an occlusive bandage, for the onset of anesthetic effect.
In order not to let the cream dry on the skin and enhance the action of its constituent components, it is necessary to use a material which tightly closes the space with the applied cream from the evaporation of the water and air.
The easiest way is the use of a thin plastic film. Typically, a thin film adheres well to the skin coated with cream, and no additional bracing under the linen is not required.
If you plan to use a bandage not just on the crotch area, then in addition to fix the film with adhesive tape and tight-fitting clothes.
External use type anesthetics lidocaine and prilocaine rarely causes side effects and allergicheskie reactions and is not prohibited for use in pregnant women because the drugs do not accumulate in the body and can not create a high concentration in the blood plasma.
Infiltration of the skin at the injection site
Injections of local anesthetics done in many medical centers and some of the most daring and use them at home. Most often, the pain of epilation is carried out by subcutaneous injection of 2% solution of lidocaine hydrochloride. To apply lidocaine at home only if you know that you have no contraindications and intolerance to the drug. But even in this case it is not necessary to give themselves shots of lidocaine, if that time at home except you no one. Lidocaine is injected under the skin with an insulin syringe in the pubic region, inner thighs, the labia majora to a depth of several millimeters. In one place the injection of 0.1-0.3 mm of the drug to the formation of small papules (seal, which rises above the skin level). Injections should be staggered at a distance of 2.5-3 cm from each other. The mucous membrane of the labia minora should not be drugged.
You may notice a slight burning sensation when the drug is administered. If during the shot you will hit the vessel, you can form a small hematoma that will resolve spontaneously without treatment.
With subcutaneous injection of lidocaine is very important not to exceed dosage: it is best to limit 1 ampoule of the drug to the entire area of the perineum. It pays to use the combined method of anesthesia in bikini depilation: apply to the skin and mucous membranes of the perineum cream «EMLA» under the bandage, and then the procedure to inject the lidocaine only in the most sensitive areas. This will allow you to move the hair removal procedure, without the risk of side effects.