Complications after blepharoplasty — what to do
In addition to the positive aesthetic effect blepharoplasty can also cause negative consequences. Let us consider in more detail what you want to do with her possible complications.
What it is
Blepharoplasty is the failure of surgical operation to correct or change the shape of the eyelids. It can be directed on a purely aesthetic rejuvenation of the patient, and the correction of any congenital (acquired) defects of the eyelids.
Blepharoplasty significantly tightens the upper and lower eyelids, making the look more open and easy. After it reduces the number of wrinkles on the eyelids, so the patient look younger.
Blepharoplasty will help to get rid of such problems:
- to change the shape of the eyes;
- to change the shape of the eye;
- eliminate various defects of the eyelids;
- pull hanging on the eye lids;
- to eliminate the problem of bags under the eyes;
- eliminate wrinkles under the eyes.
This operation is shown to people in such cases:
- The presence of bags under the eyes.
- The presence of white bumps under the eyes.
- Strong wrinkles of the lower eyelid.
- Sagging of the upper eyelid.
- The presence of a «heavy» look.
- The presence of various congenital defects or pathologies of the century.
- Acquired (later of injury, surgery or burns) defects of the eyelids.
- Drooping corners of the eyes.
- Excess flesh on the lower eyelids.
Before you agree to this operation, it is necessary to remember about such contraindications to its conduct:
- diabetes mellitus 1 and 2 type;
- the presence of inflammation in the body, which is accompanied by high temperature;
- acute or chronic respiratory diseases;
- a serious infectious disease;
- the presence of oncological pathologies;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- patient age of eighteen;
- syndrome dry eye;
- the violation of blood coagulability;
- diseases of internal organs in the acute form;
- increased intracranial pressure;
- dysfunction of the thyroid gland;
- infectious diseases of the eyes or nose.
Photo: Before and after surgery
Blepharoplasty can provoke serious complications after surgery.
Consider in more detail each of these States, and how they can be overcome.
Soft tissue swelling inherent in any and all surgical procedures, which consist in damage to the integrity of the soft tissues.
Swelling of the patient (in the affected area of the skin) increases vascular permeability, leading to swelling.
This condition is considered normal after this operation. It lasts from two to seven days. Swelling can also induce blurred vision and a headache.
In order to get rid of them, it is necessary to use anti-inflammatory ointments and gels, which will prescribe the doctor.
Hematoma may develop in the first hours after surgery or a few days after the conference.
There are three types of hematomas:
- subcutaneous – is characterized by the buildup of lymph just under the top layer of the skin due to dysfunction of blood vessels. It is eliminated by means of a catheter, which is introduced under the skin and pumps out the excess fluid;
- tense – followed by profuse subcutaneous hemorrhage. It must be rectified immediately by restoration of the affected vessel;
- retrobulbar is the most dangerous hematoma, which can develop from damage to a vessel. In the patients will experience an accumulation of blood under the eye. This can lead to blurred vision and pain. This hematoma is removed surgically.
Diplopia is reflected in the disruption of the motor muscles of the eye, which may occur after blepharoplasty.
Her symptoms occur almost immediately after surgery.
Often with diplopia disrupted oblique muscle of the eye. As a rule, this condition going away after 1-2 months.
Video: Preparing for surgery
Bleeding is the most frequent complication, which occurs after blepharoplasty. It can also arise during the surgery itself.
Due to the frequent bleeding that in the eye there are very many vessels and small capillaries, which even at the slightest damage can severely broken and bleeding.
The danger of this condition is that the patient may lose too much blood, so he will need additional transfusions of plasma or blood. This, in turn, threatened with blood poisoning.
Eversion of the lower eyelid
Due to the fact that this operation has stripped a lot of skin, sometimes after patients observed eversion of the lower eyelid. In this case, the eyes can not be closed, which leads to its dryness.
In order to resolve this condition, you must:
- to carry out the additional step;
- make a special massage for the eyes to support and stretch the muscle tone.
Infection of surgical wounds
When a breach of sterility during this surgical intervention the patient has a risk of infection in the wound.
This condition can manifest as an inflammatory process, high temperature and discharge of pus from the joints.
It is important to know that infection requires immediate medical treatment, in particular taking strong antibiotics.
Also, if you get an infection in the wound, the latter will be much longer to heal.
Orbital hemorrhage is considered the most scary consequence of blepharoplasty, since it threatens with full loss of vision.
To cause such a complication can mistake of a surgeon or for patients with these contraindications:
- the operation of anticoagulants or alcohol;
- the conduct of long and complex operations.
This condition usually manifests itself already in the first days after the correction of the eyelids. Treat it very difficult.
The most effective therapy is another surgery, but in severe cases, there is no guarantee to restore lost vision.
Late complications after blepharoplasty
After the operation of eyelids correction (2-3) months, the patient can develop late complications:
- Education is too rough scars at the incision site. They can appear due to the divergence of seams or properly closing the wound. In addition, these scars are highly visible, so they need to re-excise and stitch. That they did not arise immediately after blepharoplasty, they should be lubricated healing and resolving ointments.
- The blepharoptosis is a strong weighting of the skin in the upper eyelids. This complication is quite rare and occurs most often in elderly patients. It occurs due to poor surgery. To correct the blepharoptosis must be performed blepharoplasty.
- Education asymmetry of the eye can happen when a poor suturing. Eliminated this complication by carrying out a secondary blepharoplasty.
- Dry? too often the companion eye surgery. For its treatment, you can apply special eye drops.
For complete elimination it is desirable to do repeated correction of the shape of the eyes.
- Vision loss older patients, who have consented to the operation at high pressure, which caused bruising. Fortunately, such dire consequences are rare.
- The discrepancy between the joints. This usually happens when the wrong overlay during operation. In this state the patient is at risk, because of the divergence of seams it can get infected wound or produce swelling. The best method to resolve differences of stitches is re-stitching, however, the risk of a large scar is increasing.
- The appearance of slezotechenii may occur when the lacrimal punctum moves outward, so the healed tissue will constrict the flow channels of the eye.
- The cyst is non-cancerous formation, which is separated from other tissues by a dense capsule. It can be formed on the seam from the wound. The cyst needs surgical removal, as well as their own it does not resolve.
- «Hot» or inflamed eyes occur in a patient with frequent blefaroplastika. Their century will be loosely closed, leading to dryness and inflammation. Unfortunately, this condition can only be addressed by reoperation.
- Ectropion is one of the most frequent late complications. To his appearance results in the presence of exposed areas of the sclera, which led to deformation of the eyelids. To eliminate this condition the patient need to do special gymnastics and massage of the eyelids.
- Hyperpigmentation may occur in severe bruising and deposition of red products from decomposition of the blood, which will cause staining of the skin. If time does not cure this condition, the eyelids may darken.
What to do
Unfortunately, most of complications from blepharoplasty require re-correction of the eyelids, however it is better to eliminate such defects, later than to suffer from symptoms of a failed operation.
Consider in more detail what to do when certain complications:
- When heavy bleeding doctor must conduct a patient puncture which they will remove the excess blood.
- In the formation of a large hematoma, it is recommended to remove the bleeder, as if this is not done, then the patient may be the seal of the eyelids and problems with the normal closing of the eyes.
- In the event that the patient is the most dangerous form of hematoma (retrobulbar), urgently needed examination by an ophthalmologist. You also need to carry out a procedure called tonometry, which is to control the blood circulation in the retina. Then the attending physician should appoint anti-swelling therapy.
It is important to know that if time does not remove the hematoma of this type, the patient may be loss of vision and thrombosis of arteries of the retina.
- When eversion of the lower eyelid is necessary to appoint conservative treatment, which consists in overlaying the support joints and the performance of a special of massage.
- When inflammation of the eyes it is recommended to apply anti-inflammatory drops.
Also, in the case of infection of the wound and suppuration, the patient needs to assign these groups of drugs:
- pain medicine;
- anti-inflammatory drugs;
- decongestant medications;
- antipyretic (analgesic) drugs;
- antibacterial medications (broad spectrum antibiotics).
How can we prevent the consequences
In order to prevent the development of the above complications, you should follow these recommendations:
- To choose a professional clinic and experienced doctor for the correction of the eyelids.
- Not to blepharoplasty in the presence of at least one of the contraindications.
- Do not take a week before surgery to medication, which can contribute to thinning the blood, high blood pressure, etc. it is Also important not to drink any alcohol for five days before surgery.
- Before surgery it is recommended to consult with a few doctors and hear their opinion about whether you need blepharoplasty.
- After the correction of the eyelids is very important to follow all the advice of a doctor and perform medical procedures.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to predict, and especially to prevent all possible complications after this surgery.
This is due to the individuality of each individual organism and its emergency reaction for damage.
Blepharoplasty has its pros and cons, but before you agree to it, you should read the reviews already tried her patients and see the possible results.
Only after weighing all the «pros» and «cons» you can make a final decision.