Open rhinoplasty — contra, the recovery period, the nose
Open rhinoplasty is a procedure aimed at improving the shape or size correction of the nose. This intervention belongs to the category plastic surgery and helps to achieve a more harmonious appearance, while maintaining individual features.
Open rhinoplasty-nose – cosmetic or restorative procedure carried out with open access. This operation is carried out in case if you need very high accuracy at impressive volume correction.
This technology enables to cope with different types of asymmetry, and to correct congenital malformations. In addition, it is often used for secondary plastics, which is called re-reconstruction.
When performing an open rhinoplasty incision in the columella perform. This term referred to a skin area of the folds located between the nose holes. Also the cut can be carried on the wings of the nose in the region of their connection to the upper lip.
Usually this method is used if other technologies are unavailable. By conducting this type of rhinoplasty could slightly raise up soft tissue and cartilage.
This provides access to the internal parts of the nose. This gives you the opportunity to perform the intervention under visual control.
Open rhinoplasty allows to deal with a particularly serious changes and to perform complex operations. That is why it is performed in severe nasal deformation, especially if it is accompanied by a lateral displacement.
This intervention is carried out with a combination of nasal deformities with additional malformations, the so – called cleft lip or cleft palate.
Often this procedure is required for reconstruction using grafts.
The main drawback of such intervention is the formation of a noticeable scar. Also disadvantages are stimulated vascular injury columella, which causes severe swelling of the tissues after surgery, which persists for a long time.
This plastic surgery is a complex creative process, which is carried out for the solution of aesthetic problems and restore the functionality of the nose. That is why rhinoplasty is often carried out in medical and aesthetic purposes.
It is best to do this operation in 25-35 years. However, in case of need age limits can be shifted in one direction or another.
Basic medical indications for rhinoplasty include the following:
- Congenital deformity of the septum.
- The appearance of polyps, or the development of hypertrophy of the turbinates of the nose.
- Trauma and posttraumatic lesions of the bone and cartilage.
- Physiological curvature of the septum, which is caused by irregular development of tissues.
- Severe impairment or absence of nasal breathing.
For violation of the anatomical structures of the nose often have various pathologies.
They decided to include:
- violation of nasal breathing;
- the development of rhinosinusitis;
- bronchial asthma;
- the appearance of the night snoring and permanent respiratory pathologies;
- also the violation of the structure of the nose often leads to atrophy or hypertrophy of its mucous membrane.
In children such problems can cause permanent oxygen starvation of the brain. This often causes physical and intellectual delays in development. Also, this problem can negatively affect the mental development of the baby. Because such surgical interventions are sometimes performed to 18 years.
However, approximately 60 % of cases of rhinoplasty resort people who want to adjust the shape of the nose, to make your appearance more harmonious.
Aesthetic indications for rhinoplasty are divided into two broad categories:
- Objective – this group includes a disproportionate or not too attractive size or shape of the nose.
- Subjective, also referred to as psychological – each person has their own idea of beauty, but because he may want to change the shape of the nose for personal reasons.
These factors can influence professional and personal relationships and even lead to different complexes. Especially often suffer the women.
Indications for surgery for aesthetic purposes is as follows:
- The lack of harmonious proportions of the nose in relation to the whole face too large or small in size.
- The deviated septum.
- Congenital or acquired deformations.
- Expansion of the nostrils, the presence of the hump, asymmetry or splitting of the tip. Also plastic often occurs when the saddle shape of the nose and other anomalies.
- Dissatisfaction with the result of previous surgical intervention.
Quite often aesthetic and medical indications are the same, as are the results of identical anatomical disorders.
However, open rhinoplasty is usually prescribed in that case, if to obtain the desired result by other methods is not possible.
The application of this technology is justified in the following cases:
- Revision rhinoplasty in this case, the surgeon removes the faults or mistakes of previous surgical intervention.
- Installation of the grafts to correct the shape, to eliminate defects, congenital or acquired character, the increase of the nose wings.
- The complex shape of anatomical configuration of the nose, where you cannot use other methods of correction.
It should be noted that the method of correction your doctor may change in the process operation. Sometimes the surgeon initially offers the patient the closed rhinoplasty method, but during the operation, pay attention to that, to get the result by this method fails.
In this situation, using the standard regional cut, which allows you to access the bone and cartilage.
There are a number of diseases that prevent carrying out this surgery.
Contraindications to an open rhinoplasty include the following:
- Of blood clotting.
- Viral and colds.
- Oncologic pathology.
- HIV infection.
- Skin rashes in the area of intended surgery.
- Destruction of soft tissue that develops after previous surgery.
Photo: Before and after surgery
Conducting this type of rhinoplasty has a number of advantages, the main of which are as follows:
- The possibility of visual control. Due to this, the doctor can observe the flow of the operation and, if necessary, to make some adjustments.
- No risk of stretching or twisting of the tissue during the operation. Through this it is possible to accurately match them after all the manipulation and stitches.
- The ability to deliver and to fix the grafts of varying difficulty. This is usually required when anatomical defects.
- The ability to obtain a perfect symmetry of the nose during surgery.
Despite many advantages, open rhinoplasty has a lot of disadvantages.
The main disadvantages of the specialists will include the following:
- High traumatic intervention that requires a longer recovery period.
- Malnutrition of the skin during the intervention. This is due to the incision in columellar arteries.
- Getting less predictable results in comparison with the closed form of rhinoplasty.
In any case, experienced surgeons have the different techniques for rhinoplasty. This allows them to choose the most optimal method of correction based on the individual characteristics of the patient.
Video: Modeling the future of nose
How to do an open rhinoplasty
Technique of open rhinoplasty and preparation for the procedure have certain features. They definitely need to perform before you decide on such a serious intervention.
The size of the opening area of the operating zone is affected by the severity of the alleged surgery. Of course, the patient can Express their wishes regarding the method of operation. However, if necessary, correction of the nose tip or its wings, the specialist recommended to choose a more gentle technique.
However, many people still prefer to prefer the open rhinoplasty for correction of nasal tip, wanting to get the best result.
During the preparation to carrying out this type of surgery need to remember that it is in full operation. It must need to prepare mentally, to pass a number of tests and obtain expert advice.
To do open rhinoplasty in the preparatory stage, you need to do the following:
- to be examined by a physician, audiologist, anesthesiologist;
- tests of urine and blood;
- to do a survey to identify HIV and hepatitis;
- to assess the overall condition of the body – insights on the readiness for the operation the surgeon needs to do;
- to discuss with the surgeon all threats and risks;
- to comply with the rules of the preoperative period is to abandon the use of aspirin, alcoholic beverages, spicy, fatty and salty foods.
The progress of the operation
Open rhinoplasty is performed under General anesthesia. Thus the duration of surgical intervention affects the level of difficulty. This procedure can last from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
To conduct this surgery, the doctor performs the following actions:
- Performs an incision in the skin separating the nostrils is called columella. In some cases, you may need several incisions in the region of the base of the nostrils.
- With the help of two-pronged hook flap of skin is given up, then sharp scissors cartilage separated from soft.
- Removes skin flap.
- Removes the cartilage hump with a knife or scalpel.
- Removes bone tissue by using..
- Performs lateral osteotomy on each side to offset the bone and close the open lid of the nose.
- Excising the cephalic portion of the lower cartilage and, if necessary, sets the prop tip.
- Stitches the dome of the cartilage tissue to achieve a symmetrical contraction of the end of the nose.
- On the skin impose cosmetic seams.
- Puts bus Denver-gypsum.
Through the use of an open technique the surgeon has the ability to visualize bone and cartilage basis without the need of stretching or contraction of the tissues. Through this it is possible to understand, due to which nose has an irregular shape.
Like other types of surgery, open rhinoplasty often provokes the appearance of swelling, bruising and small hematomas. Since during the operation, exfoliate skin, it takes time for it to have taken root and regained his appearance.
Maximum swelling occurs 2-3 days of the operation. This condition affects the eyelids and the nose.
Reduction of swelling occurs gradually. After about 10 days the patient can go out. While women can hide the remains of the swelling and bruises with Foundation. After 1-1,5 months the person does not leave any traces of surgical intervention.
However, sometimes there are quite noticeable effects and side effects. In medicine, they accepted to do the functional, aesthetic and combined.
In the category of esthetic complications include the following:
- kljuvovidno nose;
- too raised or lowered the tip;
- saddle-shaped form;
- curvature and other shape deformation.
Functional complications include:
- respiratory failure;
- perforation or abscess of the nasal septum;
- intracranial disorders;
- the development of toxic shock;
- the appearance of hematomas.
What to do in the recovery period
The period of stay in the inpatient unit depends on the complexity and duration of surgery. Usually after an open rhinoplasty, the patient remains in the hospital for 3 days.
After all surgical procedure the doctor puts a plaster on the surface of the nose and nostrils places the tampons. They must stay there until the bleeding fully stops. It usually takes 2-3 days.
The plaster needs to stay a little longer – 7-10 days. The doctor removes the stitches after approximately 10-13 days after the intervention.
To evaluate the aesthetic result after this type of surgery, you should wait 2-3 months. This period of time spent on full restoration.
To speed up the rehabilitation process and to avoid the negative consequences to health, it is important to follow certain rules.
So, the recovery period should be:
- exclude visits to tanning salons, massage parlors, bathhouses and saunas;
- to exclude from a diet too hot and cold food;
- to abandon the use of alcoholic drinks and coffee;
- to exclude all types of physical activity;
- if you want to use points in a period of rehabilitation is recommended to replace them lenses.
The result and durability of the effect
After carrying out an open rhinoplasty, the risk of recurrence is minimal. The new shape of the nose remains for a long period of time. This means that it will not become the previous shape.
According to various estimates, the effect of the operation lasts for 10-20 years. Sometimes the new form is so good catch on that there is no need for correction throughout the life of the patient.
Prices for the procedure
Open rhinoplasty can cost significantly more compared to other methods of correction the shape of the nose. This is due to the complexity of its implementation and durability of the obtained results.
In various clinics, the cost of operations may differ significantly depending on its complexity. The price range is 30000-180000 RUB.
Open rhinoplasty – a complex surgical procedure, which allows to obtain stable results and significantly improve the shape of the nose. It is very important to carefully prepare for this surgery and to follow all recommendations of the doctor during the recovery period.