Septoplasty complications after nasal septum, nose
Septoplastike complications are rare. In most cases they are due to traumatic injury after surgery. There is also the possibility of infection in the wound, which can lead to the appearance of purulent processes.
Most of the complications of septoplasty due to the violations that occur in the postoperative period. During the first days in the nose of the patient are the tampons, and therefore it needs to breathe through the mouth.
When tamponade moves nose tightly fill bytovymi stripes. This helps to stop postoperative bleeding. While a person may feel weakness, headaches, dizziness, mild swelling in the nose.
Cause of complications in this period may be:
- consumption of hot foods and of alcoholic beverages;
- increased physical activity.
Also, the tamponade itself sometimes provoke unpleasant consequences. These include constant sneezing, watery eyes. Some people even develop psychological disorders, which are caused by the inability to breathe through the nose.
Using tampons with antibiotics and ointments can cause the appearance of oleogranulomas nose. In addition, an individual may accidentally inhale the tampons, if they are not recorded too well.
Prolonged tamponade can cause toxic shock syndrome and even death. Because the doctors refer to this procedure very carefully and closely monitor the patient’s condition.
During the recovery period, it is recommended to try not to blow your nose and sneeze. 3-5 days partially restored nasal breathing. After 10 days disappearing of the swelling of the mucosa. To prevent the development of complications, it is recommended to rinse the nasal passages with saline solution. If you neglect this rule, there is a risk of negative consequences.
Factors that increase the risk of undesirable consequences
Complications after septoplasty of the nasal septum does not always appear. There are certain factors that significantly increase the likelihood of such problems.
These include the following:
- irregularities in the implementation of surgical intervention – it can be connected with insufficient qualification of the doctor who performed the procedure;
- failure to comply with conditions of asepsis in the operating room – these rules are required to prevent the entry of bacterial microorganisms in the wound during the dissection of tissues;
- violations during the dressings with antiseptic solutions furatsilina, chlorhexidine – this is of particular importance in the early postoperative period;
- violation of doctor’s recommendations during preparation for surgical intervention are vital to diet, habits, physical tension, emotional overload, the use of drugs;
- types of chronic somatic diseases, they can affect the immune status and skin;
- inflammatory lesion of nasal cavity or sinuses in the period of exacerbation or remission.
Photo: Before and after surgery
Major complications after septoplasty
Despite the fact that complications from this procedure are extremely rare, such a possibility still exists. Any form of correction of the nose can cause hemorrhage, pain, infection. It must be considered when choosing type of surgery.
After the surgery there are often hemorrhages in the tissue.
They can have different volume – depending on the size of the affected vessel. In some cases appear minor bruises on the skin, while in others the tumor.
In the first days after surgery nasal breathing is severely violated by reason of pronounced edema.
Strong enough this symptom remains for weeks.
Then it gradually decreases and by the end of the month disappears completely. As the recovery patients feel better.
To expedite this process, you can use these tips:
- to observe a rest mode;
- use compresses with ice;
- to use medicines to strengthen the walls of blood vessels;
- to use Allergy medications;
- use vasoconstrictor drops and nasal sprays;
- to humidify the air in the room.
In some cases, the swelling persists for six months or even 12 months after surgery. Sometimes it occurs in certain conditions – for example, this process is affected by the wet weather.
In the mucosa of the nasal cavity contains many blood vessels of the microvasculature, which are responsible for its blood supply. If the damage of the walls and develops the bleeding. It can occur during the operation or after the procedure.
Injury to mucosa
The nasal cavity is covered with a sheath, which consists of the epithelium. He is responsible for warming, humidifying and cleansing the air that is inhaled. During surgery this layer can be damaged.
This form of sinusitis usually is a result of ingress of pathogenic microorganisms into the surgical wound. Also, this complication is often a result of insufficient irrigation or poor drainage. In addition, it is a frequent complication of chronic process.
If you receive this status the person has:
- pain in the nose area;
- pressure in area of sinuses;
- stuffy ears.
- the increase in temperature. These symptoms should be cause for a visit to the doctor.
The specialist will prescribe antibiotics and will pick up symptomatic therapy. If necessary, the doctor will perform surgery.
Video: features of deviated nasal septum
This term is understood the inflammatory process, which affects the perichondrium of the cartilage region of the nasal septum. Its development leads to the penetration of infection after surgery.
Deformity of the nose
This complication of surgery is the result of irregularities in the correction of the nasal septum. In this case there is a change in its form and breathing.
Such deformations are considered to be:
- excessive narrowing of the arch of the bone tissue;
- insufficient repair a deviated septum of the nose;
- excessive narrowing and deformity of the nasal cartilage;
- increased weakness or excessive narrowing of the nose wings.
People do not only face with breathing disorders. They often experience headaches, a feeling of dryness in the throat, lose taste and smell.
In such a situation, people often have to perform a secondary surgery, which will help to cope with defects of the internal valve of the nose.
After septoplasty in nasal cavity may appear the so-called jumpers. They represent adhesions between the walls of the passages of the nose. These formations block the lumen of the nasal cavity and prevent normal air circulation.
As a result the person complaining about:
- respiratory failure;
- snoring at night;
- dryness in the mouth;
- he may notice increased twang voice.
In addition to the inconvenience for a person, sinehii can increase the risk of developing infectious complications after surgery.
Treatment for this condition should be surgical:
- Under local or General anesthesia specialist removes the strands. This is done through a scalpel or laser.
- After that, he establishes a special bus – it can be silicone strips or splinty. They prevent further formation of adhesions.
Sometimes after septoplasty significantly reduced sensitivity of the nasal mucosa. This complication may be due to crossing of nerve fibers.
In addition, improperly performed surgery can result in the formation of an abscess. This problem is often the result of infection in the wound which is formed during operation. Also, the procedure may lead to cicatricial adhesions in the nasal cavity. This requires repeated intervention in their dissection.
Very serious complication is perforation of the nasal septum. If the nose after surgery appear not breathing or whistling sounds, you need to go to the doctor.
Also the reason for the visit to the specialist should be the dryness in the nasopharynx or purulent nasal discharge.
These symptoms indicate a violation of the integrity of the nasal septum. If time does not take the necessary measures, the nose can become deformed and acquire a saddle shape. Disorders of breathing will only increase.
To cope with the perforation, need for surgical intervention.
In performing the operation the surgeon will close the defect with a flap from adjacent tissues and also make the correct treatment of the affected cartilage.
How to restore breathing
Nasal breathing after the surgery and not immediately restored. To achieve the desired result, it takes a lot of patience. On the first day after the procedure in the nasal passages place the tampons. With their help it is possible to prevent the occurrence of bleeding after surgery. The tampons prevent the passage of air.
To restore normal nasal breathing takes at least 2-3 weeks. To expedite this process, you need to do breathing exercises.
By performing specific exercises can prevent the formation of adhesions between the walls of the nose.
Some people after septoplasty lost sense of smell. This violation is a postoperative complication, the reason for which you want to install.
There are many methods of restoring a sense of smell. These include:
- repeated surgical intervention.
To select the best option, you need to establish the reasons for this violation.
To prevent the development of negative health effects, need to comply with all medical recommendations.
These include the following:
- Diet is important to stop fatty and fried foods and eliminate sweets.
- Avoiding harmful habits – Smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages. It must be done at least a month before surgery.
- A medical examination is required to pass laboratory tests and to advice the therapist to detect the absolute and relative contraindications to septoplasty.
- The implementation of antiseptic dressings – it is important to use sterile dressings. It is important that the use of tools that help to cope with the bacteria. It includes furatsilin, chlorhexidine, hydrogen peroxide.
- The use of ointments with wound – healing effect of these include nasal spray. If you experience bruising illustrates the use of absorbable drugs – in particular, the heparin ointment.
- Right choice doctor method and volume of surgical intervention is carried out on the basis of the severity of a deviated nasal septum.
- Intramuscular or oral application of antibiotics – these drugs need to use at least 5 days.
- Tamponade of the nasal passages – is to prevent bleeding or hematoma.
- This application helps you to improve blood clotting – to them, in particular, relates aminocaproic acid.
The operation did not provoke the negative health effects, it is important to properly prepare for the procedure, a technique and method of execution of the intervention and strictly follow medical advice in the postoperative period.
Frequently asked questions
What are the stages of healing?
There are several stages of wound healing, which was formed after surgery. At the initial stage is observed, the primary tension of the wound, which is accompanied by formation of fibrin gluing of its borders.
At this stage it is necessary to perform the ligation with the use of the antiseptic solution. This should be done very carefully, otherwise there is the risk of changes in the structure of primary tension.
The next stage in the wound appear connective tissue adhesions in the form of scars. They are covered with epithelial cells. At this stage, the doctor removes the stitches. It is very important to use ointments to speed the healing process.
After a while the scars fade. This stage is the final stage of healing.
What means are used to prevent complications?
Since septoplasty is a major surgical procedure, during its execution used anesthetics. Using tools such as novocaine or lidocaine, performed the anesthesia.
After the operation it is necessary to use means to prevent infections of wounds and sutures. For this purpose, choose a solution furatsilina or chlorhexidine.
After the stitches are removed the scars 1 time a day is recommended to treat with ointment, for this purpose you can use nasal spray. This substance promotes rapid healing and resorption of scars.
If infectious complications develop, you have 5 days to take antibiotics. Your doctor may prescribe Amoxiclav or Cefodox. With the help of such tools will be able to cope with bacterial infection.
Septoplasty rarely provokes serious complications. Under condition of high qualification of the surgeon and a clear implementation of all recommendations of the doctor manages to avoid the negative health effects. However, sometimes complications do happen. If you see any strange symptoms should immediately contact a specialist.