Septoplasty the nasal septum — the price of the laser in the postoperative period
Septoplasty the nasal septum is a ENT surgery to correct its shape. Unlike rhinoplasty, this type of surgery is carried out only for medical reasons. It is very important to properly prepare for surgery and to follow medical recommendations.
What it is
Septoplasty is a surgery to correct the septum of the nose.
The main difference of this intervention from of rhinoplasty is that it primarily is performed to restore normal human life.
This operation is not performed to correct aesthetic defects. If you want to solve two problems at once, performed a combined procedure, which is called rhinoseptoplasty.
The main indication for the implementation of this intervention is considered a violation of nasal breathing, associated with a deviated septum. This condition may be accompanied by other problems.
Because there are the following indications for performing a septoplasty:
- Chronic swelling of the nasal mucosa, which can cause the development of allergic rhinitis.
- The tendency to frequent colds.
- Systematic nosebleeds.
- Itching and dryness in the nasal cavity.
- Pain in the facial area.
- Noisy breathing and snoring.
In addition, experts say that different hump and ledges on the nose too often the result of the curvature of the septum.
In such cases, a septoplasty is not mandatory, but sometimes it is carried out at the request of the patient.
It is worth considering that the development of the cartilage of the nose continues until 18-21 years. That is why surgery is often not perform up to that age.
The fact that the shape of the partition can be restored naturally. Moreover, surgical intervention may lead to a new strain that will trigger the need for re-septoplasty.
It is important to note that a septoplasty can be performed not for all people. There are conditions that are a contraindication to the use of this procedure.
The main prohibitions to the holding of such intervention include the following:
- of blood clotting;
- severe diseases of internal organs;
- diabetes mellitus;
- exacerbation of chronic diseases;
- oncological pathology;
- infectious diseases, including HIV;
- the age of 18.
With the exception of those cases when a person is completely absent nasal breathing and on this basis applied to the work of other vital organs. In particular, such problems often cause serious hearing loss.
Video: breathing Problems
Consultation with the surgeon
Before deciding on such major surgery, you need to consult with the surgeon who will carry out a thorough diagnosis.
The complex survey usually includes:
- external inspection;
Also, the doctor may prescribe:
- instrumental studies.
Surgeon always starts with an external examination. A deviated septum is quite common to see visually. Specialist also evaluates the breath in each nostril.
Rhinoscopy is the examination of the nasal cavity by means of a special tool. Doctors perform a front and a back procedure.
Further research and analysis prescribed in that case, if the expert sees a need for septoplasty.
Preparing for surgery
Because any surgery is a big stress to the body, for a long time before the event you need to abandon heavy workloads.
It is very important to discuss with your doctor all the key points and clearly follow his recommendations. Equally important is the optimistic attitude of the patient.
Before surgery is necessary to quit Smoking and stop the use of medications that contain aspirin. The fact that these factors have a negative impact on blood clotting.
Equally important is the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as diclofenac. It is desirable to eliminate their use 2-3 weeks before surgery.
Women should schedule the surgery 7-10 days after menstruation. It is also not advisable to plan the procedure directly before menstruation.
In addition, doctors prescribe these types of studies:
- General analyses of urine and blood;
- test for hepatitis, HIV, syphilis;
- consultation of the anesthesiologist.
If there are any indications, the doctor may order additional tests. In this case all depends on the individual characteristics of the organism.
Photo: Before and after surgery
Types and characteristics of septoplasty of the nasal septum
Currently, there are many different varieties of such operations, each of which is characterized by certain features.
In this case, correction of the septum involves partial removal of submucosal. During the surgery, the doctor implanted in the tissue of the septum special thread.
With the help of this device is the strengthening of bone tissue.
3 months after the intervention, we again see a doctor, which will remove the implanted threads.
Endoscopic surgery is considered to be quite gentle intervention, which practically does not lead to negative consequences or traumatic injury.
In this case, the resection is performed on the mucosa inside the nose, which helps to prevent the appearance of scars and consequences of surgical interventions on the face.
Through the use of modern equipment it is possible not only to obtain excellent aesthetic results, but also to make the recovery period much shorter.
Under the classical endoscopic septoplasty is commonly understood as the resection of small areas of walls, which prevent its normal localization and function.
This made preventive exfoliation of the mucosa, which allows to preserve its integrity and to prevent injuries.
However, sometimes there are situations which require the extraction of the deformed parts of the cartilage to retain in normal condition the supporting function of the septum. This usually is required if the curvature provoked by the injuries.
Typically, endoscopic intervention takes 30-40 minutes.
Considering the preparations for surgery for all procedures required no more than an hour. You can also use a General, local or combined anesthesia. In the latter case, means local anesthesia of the nose and fairly strong intravenous sedation.
After endoscopic surgery are able to fully maintain the integrity of the nasal septum. It involves the removal of certain areas, which do not allow the partition to be in the proper vertical position.
This procedure is to correct the septum by means of a laser beam. Usually it is performed under local anesthesia, it does not cause bleeding and injuries.
In addition, the laser has a pronounced antiseptic characteristics, which significantly reduces the risk of infection and complications after surgery.
Recovery after surgery is relatively quick and painless. Septoplasty the nasal septum by laser does not require tight tampons after surgery. In addition, a person is not required to be in the clinic. This intervention is performed on an outpatient basis and takes less than an hour.
While a laser septoplasty has specific contraindications. So, it has no effect in complex cases, when the curvature affects not only the cartilage tissue. Therefore, there are situations when it is possible to use only classical methods.
Like other types of surgery, septoplasty can lead to negative health effects. Despite the fact that the risk of complications is low, you need to be aware of their probability.
So, the main consequences of such an operation include the following:
- Bleeding and swelling. A surgical intervention to provoke some bleeding and swelling. In rare situations, bleeding is serious enough in nature that becomes the reason for the termination of the operation. In extreme cases, may even need a blood transfusion, but it is required very rarely.
- Nasal congestion. In more than 90 % of cases the condition of man after the septoplasty improves. However, some patients present with chronic nasal congestion. In rare cases, people do not notice a tangible effect, or even be faced with a worsening situation.
- The ingress of infection. The nose can not be called sterile place, and therefore after the intervention can happen infection of the septum. After septal surgery such a complication is extremely rare.
In emergency situations, a patient develops toxic shock syndrome. This condition poses a real threat to life and requires immediate therapy.
- Numbness of the nose and teeth. The nerves that are sent to the front teeth and gums, through the nose. During surgery, the doctor may stretch or damage the nerve fibers. As a consequence, there is a risk of numbness of the incisors, located in the upper jaw. As a rule, this symptom is temporary.
In addition, some patients are faced with this unpleasant condition as the numbness of the tip of the nose. This symptom, too, is temporary, but in some cases it has been present for weeks or even months.
- Perforation of the septum. This condition can occur during the procedure or after its completion. Threat is enhanced in the presence of infection. If the perforation does not cause undesirable effects, such as bleeding, no action was taking. At the onset of symptoms requires surgical intervention.
- Leakage of cerebrospinal fluid. The upper area of the nasal septum is located below the skull, and therefore the risk of leakage of cerebrospinal fluid or brain damage is low.
However, this condition can create the conditions for the spread of infection, which is able to provoke even meningitis. In such a situation a person need to be hospitalized.
- Other threats. Septoplasty can trigger a violation of taste or smell, voice changes, swelling and bruising around the eyes. Also, a person may experience pain.
Rehabilitation in the postoperative period
To reduce the occurrence of unwanted side effects, to prevent swelling and bleeding, postoperative septoplasty of the nasal septum must adhere to certain rules.
Doctors recommend the following:
- To avoid high loads. This is necessary in order to avoid the increase in pressure that can provoke a nosebleed.
- To unsubscribe from nose blowing the nose.
- Slightly raise the head during sleep.
- Choose things that you can unbutton in the front.
During the recovery period to stop pain is a good oral pain medications. Swelling and bruising gradually going away in 2-4 weeks. If a physician applies to fix the partition bus are removed after 7-10 days.
When using internal absorbable sutures, you can expect that they will gradually dissolve. If were imposed external joints, the doctor will remove them during the week.
During the recovery period, patients often complain about the lack of nasal breathing. This is due to the edema of soft tissues. This state is held for 2 weeks.
The first results after the operation you can feel after 3 months. The final outcome will only become apparent after a year. It is this period of time care for a final softening of the tissues.
The restoration of nasal breathing
In most cases, immediately after the operation a full nasal breathing is absent. This is considered a normal variant and is associated with swelling.
To restore breathing, experts prescribe special drops or solutions. With their help, the person should rinse the nasal passages.
Thanks to this simple procedure can get rid of the remnants of blood and crusts, which impede the full breath.
The average cost
The cost of the operation is affected by the difficulty level, which is determined on the basis of the nature and degree of curvature of the septum.
If you want to correct a slight congenital deformity, the price of the procedure, most likely, will not exceed RUB 30000-50000
If you need to recover the corrupted partition, it will cost you 2-3 times higher.
Septoplasty is a pretty serious surgical procedure, which allows to correct the shape of the nasal septum and restore full breathing. It is very important to thoroughly prepare for surgery and to follow all medical recommendations of the recovery period.