Septoplasty under local anesthesia — anesthesia, price
What it is
Septoplasty is a surgery which main objective is the elimination of distortion and other defects of the nasal septum. It can be carried out for both men and women depending on the indications.
Often septoplasty is done under local anesthesia. Consider this question in more detail.
Indications for this surgery are:
- Frequent nosebleeds.
- Chronic nasal congestion.
- Frequent sinusitis and sinusitis.
- Visible defects of the nose, formed after injuries.
- A deviated septum (congenital, acquired, appeared in excessively rapid growth of the skull).
- Pain in the nose due to its deformation.
Septoplasty can cause a number of side effects, so to avoid this, you should know about its contraindications.
- Patient age of eighteen.
- The patient’s age older than sixty years.
- HIV infection.
- Any acute respiratory, viral or bacterial infection.
- Gastrointestinal disease in the acute form.
- Pregnancy and the breastfeeding period.
- Skin lesions around the nose.
- Oncologic pathology.
- The aftermath of a stroke or heart attack.
- A lowered immunity.
- The clotting of blood.
Types of anesthesia and their features
There are such kinds of local anesthesia:
- Surface anesthesia is used in dentistry, urology, for treatment of burns, etc. the drug is applied to the surface of the skin or mucosa in the form of gel, ointment or spray. Most often used for this purpose such drugs as Lidocaine, Benzocaine and Tetracaine.
- Infiltration anesthesia involves placing the anesthetic in the area of operating space. At first, the doctor fine needle injects medication under the skin, so that it formed a «lemon crust». This will lead to the blocking of nerve endings, so a person will lose sensitivity in the surgical area.
Typically, anesthesia is used medications called Novocaine and Lidocaine.
- Conduction involves the conducting or Central novocaine blockades. It includes epidural, spinal and caudal anesthesia.
Itself the blockade of nerve endings be performed with ultrasound monitoring. It can help to numb one area of the body (arm, leg, shoulder, etc.). The most common anesthesia is used during operations on the limbs.
- Spinal — provides for the introduction of the anesthetic into the space of the spinal cord. This helps block the pain impulses entering the spinal cord.
- Epidural — helps to make the Central locking pain. It is often used in surgery, obstetrics, urology and traumatology.
- Caudal — provides analgesia at the level of the sacrum. It is shown in operations on the perineum or obstetrical manipulation. For this purpose the same drugs for epidural anesthesia.
Video: doctor’s Consultation
The main task of local anesthesia is the temporary suspension of the sensitivity of the tissues of the patient. It is necessary for painless surgery.
From this type of anesthesia the patient can refuse yourself. To make it, no one will.
The main contraindications to local anesthesia are:
- Large volume operations.
- Different mental illness patient.
- Allergic reactions to injected anesthetic.
- Scarring in the place of operation.
Are there any risks
Using local anesthesia there is a risk of complications if:
- the patient will not perform preoperative medical advice;
- the patient will be allergic to the drug;
- or other contraindications.
It is also important to know that in any case there is always the risk that during the surgery something goes wrong.
Despite this, operating always at the ready with necessary equipment, which if necessary can be used for first aid.
Photo: Before and after surgery
Often after use of local anesthesia in patients experiencing these complications:
- Nausea. It occurs in approximately 35 % of all patients. Especially pronounced nausea sometimes in the case when a person is before surgery something.
To prevent the development of such complications must adhere to the following tips:
- on the day of surgery nothing to drink and eat;
- within a few hours after the procedure, you lie (you can’t get up and down);
- after surgery on the same day, it is recommended not to drink or eat (you can eat the next day, but small portions);
- some analgesics can cause nausea, so this must be reported to your doctor;
- to get rid of nausea do you need to do deep, slow breaths.
- Sore throat can be mild (a common feeling of discomfort), and severe (pain when swallowing). There may also be dryness of the mouth. To eliminate them you can wet your lips with water (the water itself in the first day after surgery can not drink). This condition usually passes by itself after a few days.
- Trembling is a frequent consequence of anesthesia, which is like half an hour later after the patient wakes up. To expedite this process, the patient need to cover with a blanket.
- Dizziness may develop due to stress or sudden lowering of blood pressure. Also this condition can cause dehydration. Dizziness goes away after a few days, when a person begins to eat normally again and restore power. In addition, dizziness can cause fainting. For this reason, in the first days after surgery is recommended to be on bed rest.
- Headache. It can cause some medications used during surgery, dehydration or excessive anxiety of the patient. Usually this symptom goes away after a few hours after the procedure.
If the patient has a severe headache, he can be assigned bezbolevaya drugs.
Less have these complications:
- Back pain and lower back pain.
- Pain in the muscles.
- Dizziness (usually passes after the person is fully awake from anesthesia).
- Awakening during anesthesia is quite rare.
- A strong anaphylactic reaction.
When rational of doing the septoplasty under local anesthesia
Doctors recommend to septoplasty under local anesthesia in the case where the operation is quite complex and extensive.
While doctors will be easier to remedy the defect under local anesthesia, as the patient simply will not suffer long-lasting interventions.
If the patient needs to correct a small defect of the nose or its partitions, you can use lighter types of anesthesia.
What to do after the surgery
After the operation with local anesthesia need to comply with these recommendations:
- First of all, not to worry. If you feel any discomfort, then you need to inform the doctor. If necessary, will prescribe pain medicine.
- One should lie quietly and try not to climb since the person in this state is still very weak.
- It is best to try to sleep, because in this way it is easier to transfer the discharge from the anesthesia.
- If the patient is nauseated, his head turn to the side so he doesn’t choke on his own vomit. Also in severe attacks nausea he needed help to climb a little.
- After septoplasty nose of the patient will be inserted special turundy. To get them, as they protect from bleeding.
- On the nose can also be gypsum langada. It also cannot be removed.
- Sometimes after surgery, the patient is in a slightly catatonic state. For this reason, you need to ensure that it does not fall out of bed, began to stand up, or to hurt yourself. Also, it is inconceivable that he would turn on the stomach, since doing so could damage the nose.
If you take the test
In most cases it is recommended to do an Allergy test with the same drug that will be administered during anesthesia.
Thus, it is possible to protect the patient from adverse side effects.
Generally the test gives the correct results and the doctors will understand the reaction of the patient to a particular medication.
What drugs are used
Most often, local anesthesia is used such drugs:
- The novocaine.
- Dicain is a pretty powerful drug, which is used at a concentration of 0.25 %.
- The lidocaine.
The average cost
The cost of this procedure depends on the complexity of the operation, type of anesthesia and the qualifications of the surgeon. The average price septoplasty under local anesthesia range from 70 to 90 thousand rubles.