Seroma after mammoplasty — symptoms breast cancer, symptoms, treatment
Seroma is the accumulation of fluid or lymph after plastic surgery for correction of the breast.
The accumulation of fluid is mainly formed after breast augmentation with implants large size. Accumulation of such substance entails a stretching of the skin and leads to its sagging.
The accumulation of serous substances after mammoplasty has a straw yellow color. Depending on the composition of the clusters can change its color and go from yellow color to red.
The causes of this complications can be:
- The body’s response to endoprothese. A prosthesis for the woman’s body is a foreign body, which may be rejection. Implants made from biodegradable material, so the likelihood of rejection is very slight and passes quickly. But there is always a percentage of women who have manifested sensitivity to biological material that can increase the risk accumulation of fluid after surgery. But modern surgery still cannot see the reaction of the organism to the implant prior to the operation;
- Damage limfatici vessels. This cause an accumulation of fluids in the chest occurs when during the surgery, damaged blood vessels. Vessels are recovered within the first day after surgery, but sometimes the process slows down, which leads to the secretion of lymph;
- The bleeding tissue. Small capillaries surgery tend to leak into the soft tissue of the chest and form a serous substance in the place of the implant;
- The presence of hematoma. When the resorption of the hematoma formed accumulation of sukrovichnye substances and the formation of seroma. Therefore, the necessary observation of the patient for several days after surgery;
- The lack of proper drainage. Any operation like breast implants is accompanied by the release of lymph and if it is not the time to remove it triggers the appearance of complications;
- Reaction to suture material. In modern surgery, there are plenty of high-quality surgical materials, but not one of them is not ideal. Also with a large use of absorbable threads lead to the accumulation of matter.
Accumulation of serous material after mammoplasty develops within 5-7 days after surgery.
One of the significant characteristics that impact to the accumulation of fluid in the breast is a mastectomy (removal of breast), which increases the appearance of lymph nodes.
Another factor contributing to the emergence of serum, can be inflammation in areas of injury to the skin.
Can also be factors such as:
- diabetes mellitus;
- weight. The large thickness of subcutaneous fat, increases the risk of fluid;
- high blood pressure;
Symptoms symptoms of seroma after mammoplasty
Don’t forget that seroma appears in many women after correction of the breast, so you should go to consult a specialist to monitor the healing process and of course to pay attention to symptoms of fluid for their timely prevention and treatment.
The main symptoms of ascites could include:
- change the shape of the breast. The chest increases in volume, you may receive a bump in a place where there is a liquid, changing the contour and the nipple is shifted.
- swelling of the soft tissues. Since the liquid remains outside the capsule, it has the ability to penetrate into soft tissue and by touching we can feel a certain firmness and tension of skin;
- pain in the accumulation of fluid. Usually the pain is normal and reasonable, but the pressure pain is worse. Pain take can assumings during exercise and walking;
- redness of the skin in the area of seroma. This symptom is due to the fact that the liquid is exerting pressure destroys small blood vessels, and therefore, the color in the area of accumulation can vary;
- the secretion of serous substances through the edges of the wound. This symptom is extremely rare, but if such a complication exists for a long time, it can be formed out – «fistulas» through which substance wakes up to go outside. Characteristic of this complication in patients with thin skin.
Patient after breast augmentation notice that the breast increases, there is swelling, which increases with each passing day, appear redness in the accumulation of substances that increase pain.
Video: How does this complication
The methods of diagnosis complications include:
- ultrasound examination;
- x-ray mammography;
- magnetic resonance imaging.
Using ultrasound to identify internal changes occurring in the region of the breast following mammoplasty, to determine the degree of development of seroma and to diagnose it at early stages of education.
X-ray mammography is indicated in all women who ever had a surgery aimed at surgery, and to women after 40 years.
This method of study helps to assess the nature of the lacteal glands and helps to determine the nature of knots, seals and formation fluids in the chest.
Unlike x-ray magnetic resonance imaging involves no radiation exposure and diagnosis is carried out for each case separately.
Magnetic resonance imaging communities can monitor the status of implants after mammoplasty, and also helps to prevent the development of complications such as seroma and contracture.
Methods of treatment
To treat such education in his chest as grey, you have two methods such as surgical and medical. For large formations can be treated simultaneously in two ways.
Surgical method is accompanied by adequate drainage.
Drainage is installed to remove serous fluid and may be two to three days. The amount of discharge volume of material, the specialist may judge necessary to remove drainage or not.
Drainage is quite a popular method of treatment in which the process of removing detachable material from the places of accumulation.
Special fixtures can be derived from wounds, but mostly professionals bringing the liquid through the special punctures located around the wounds.
Skin that are near the installation site drainage system should be cleaned with a solution of green fodder.
Before the procedure, all drainage devices must be sterile and treated with sodium chloride in a proportion of 0.9%.
The health worker should monitor the work of the drainage system, if the tube is dropped it must be replaced. Removal of the drainage system can only deal with a professional.
Another method of treatment of seroma is vacuum aspiration. When carrying out such a method is aspiration of serous matter from the places of accumulation of serous substances or postoperative wounds.
This method of treatment is used most often in the early postoperative period and provides a rapid healing of surgical wounds.
Medicamentous method of treatment involves taking anti-inflammatory drugs and broad-spectrum antibiotics.
If the formation fluid is small, it is necessary to manage only the reception of medical preparations.
Big mistake is the statement that the seroma will resolve itself without further treatment and prevention.
In most cases this is true, but there is always the risk of increased fluid volume which is itself to disappear and can not dissolve.
This leads to subsequent complications such as:
- Education serous fistula. In this case, serous substance alone seeping through the soft fabric. Most often it is the edges of the wound. This period that can last up to several weeks, which contributes to infection of the endoprosthesis, which entails a second operation;
- The development of capsular contracture. The accumulation of fluid is accompanied by an inflammatory processes, which ultimately leads to an increase in the excess fabric. In turn, this tissue contributes to the development and education of the capsule;
- Suppuration where is the implant. Serous substance of the ideal places for the accumulation and development of bacteria, which can lead to suppuration implantational pocket.
The best solution to the problem of fluid accumulation is timely access to a doctor and prevention.
Conventionally, the prevention of the prevention of liquid can be divided into in-level:
- The postoperative.
Preoperational prevention is:
- consultation and selection of plastic surgeon;
- Breast ultrasound;
- consultation of the gynecologist.
Interoperational prevention is directly related to the operation the plastic surgeon and the methods of plastic surgery which include:
- the right choice of area for the location of the implant;
- adequate application of the incisions;
- timely drainage of the wound;
- quality stitches.
Postoperative prophylaxis is associated directly with the behavior of the patient during the rehabilitation period.
In postoperative period the patient must comply with the following rules:
- wearing compression underwear;
- attendance at all consultations and the implementation of all recommendations of the attending physician;
- restriction of physical activity and movement.
Compliance with all preventive measures and careful attitude to their health will give You after the surgery, a good aesthetic result and reduce the risk of complications after mammoplasty.
To prevent serous substances include the following:
- wound closure without leaving pockets;
- compressive bandage on the wound area for several hours;
- the constant use of antiseptics and antibiotics in all stages of treatment.
Experts advise applies to such complications as lymphorrhea very seriously and approach the selection of a plastic surgeon with full responsibility.
Large accumulation of fluid require vacuum suction, and in complicated cases and the installation of the drainage system.
Gray may get infection, and therefore need to take anti-inflammatory drugs and in some cases surgery is required. Therefore it is better to prevent the formation of liquid substances at an early stage of its development.
- antibacterial agents. Very popular is the «Nise» and «ketorol»;
- laser therapy;
- the wound after the operation needs to be processed carefully and avoid contact with infections;
- in the treatment you can use ointments such as Veshnevskogo or ointment «Levomikol». Use of such ointments can be up to three times a day, gently pressing on the inflamed areas of the skin.
Only on the advice of a specialist you can use a heat treatment method in locations where the accumulated serous substance.
This can be done by using bag in which to place the heated salt or sand, but much of the mixture not be heated so as to burn the skin.
If these methods fail, the doctors performed surgery. The seam a little bit and spreading with a metal probe output to the liquid substance out.
Then the wound is washed, it briefly establishes the drainage and after a few days the wound heals.