Swelling after mammoplasty — belly, how to remove, chest, how long goes
Today one of the most frequent surgical operations on the breast is mammoplasty, which seeks to correct cosmetic defects of the mammary glands, resulting from any pathology or existing from birth.
As with any surgery, breast implants may be accompanied by the development of several complications, one of which is the formation of postoperative edema.
Why there are complications
Prevention of the development of various postoperative complications – one of the most important steps in any operation. The doctors, hoping the risk of developing a particular disease, take into account a huge number of factors, trying to eliminate possible most of them.
It is worth considering that the reasons of occurrence of complications varies depending on what postoperative pathology developed in the patient.
All postoperative complications are divided into two groups: early and late.
Early pathology occur no later than two to three weeks after the operation, and attribute to him:
- hematoma (occurs because of use of drugs anticoagulant of a number of congenital abnormalities in the normal functioning of blood coagulation system, if the operation is performed in the period of menstruation or shortly before);
- lymphorrhea (the main cause of the overlap during the operation of one or more lymphatic vessels);
- the inflammatory response (reaction to a foreign object, and in this case the implant);
- suppuration (non-observance of rules of asepsis and antisepsis, improper care of postoperative wounds, disregard the antibiotic therapy according to indications);
- swelling (most often a consequence of inflammatory reactions, but their education often involved, and other factors).
Late complications are those that have emerged within 2-3 weeks after surgery.
- capsular contracture (formed, if formed around the implant excessively rough scar tissue);
- the mixing of the implant (the most common cause of injury in the chest or initially wrong choice of the location of the implant);
- wrinkling of the implant (formed, if the epithelial tissue of the patient has an extremely thin structure);
- rupture of the implant (the most common reason – poor quality source material, in the second place chest injuries).
Factors contributing to this complication
Swelling after mammoplasty is a normal reaction that is a response to a prior surgical intervention.
Externally the swelling is easily distinguished by their unnatural appearance. The skin over the affected place often pererastayut and shines, which is an additional sign of definition of edema.
In normal swelling of the breast glands usually subsides, depending on the characteristics of the organism, in the period of time from several weeks to three months.
Doctors identify a number of factors that contribute to the development of this postoperative complication.
The impact of these same factors may increase the period of control the swelling.
- excessive exposure to ultraviolet light, including Hiking in the Solarium and not just the exposure to the sun;
- prolonged bathing or showering with hot water;
- the initiation of a sexual nature, which increases blood circulation in the area of the breast;
- being in the sauna or the bath;
- irregular physical activity type;
- disregard the compression underwear.
Danger or what to pay attention
Postoperative tissue edema is a physiological response of any organism to external interference, which is on the decline as soon as the body adjusts to the changed conditions.
In spite of the similar physiological reactions, with edema requires careful monitoring on the part of women, undergoing mammoplasty. This is due to the fact that in some cases the swelling is not the norm, but an alarming signal.
So, every day is recommended to assess the condition of breast and to pay special attention to the following points:
- change the color of the skin;
- the increase in size of swelling.
With self-examination evaluation of these two items will help a woman to determine whether she had a cause for concern, or healing takes place in the normal range.
When you need to see a doctor
In some cases, assessing the swelling of the mammary glands after mammoplasty have to pay attention to the number of signs, the occurrence of which requires immediate specialist.
These signs include:
- not going over time, declining pain in the operated breast;
- the increase in body temperature, fever;
- change the color of the nipples;
- visible or felt when feeling the changes in the structural composition of the tissue;
- persistent redness of the skin, changing the texture of the skin;
- the increase in lymph nodes located in the vicinity of the surgical region;
- the signs of suppuration in the region of postoperative scarring.
The appearance of any of these symptoms is reason to seek additional medical attention, because such changes in the tissues of the mammary glands, followed by swelling, an indication of more dangerous complications.
How to remove swelling after mammoplasty
The main method of dealing with postoperative swelling is to wear compression underwear, which you will need to choose a physician.
Such lingerie is made of medical-knit, which ensures proper distribution of pressure on the tissues, stimulating blood flow and lymph flow.
Swelling of the Breasts after mammoplasty was normal subside on their own without taking any special measures, except for wearing compression underwear.
However, doctors usually provide you with the following recommendations:
- taking water treatments, you need to prefer cold or lukewarm water without using the hot water, chest to wash every day cool streams;
- you need at least a month to stop excessive physical activity, especially if operated on a woman associated with sporting activities or its work involves strong physical activity;
- also at least a month will have to abandon the sexual contacts.
- you will need to avoid exposure to high temperatures up to until the swelling subsides.
As prevent the development of edema of the breast is also widely used massage which can be carried out within a week after surgery, if the patient’s condition allows it.
Usually the massage is performed as an outpatient by the patient herself. The technique of conducting a pre-procedure demonstrates a doctor, giving explanations, which you will need to follow during the procedure.
Swelling of the abdomen after mammoplasty is also a common phenomenon faced by many patients. How much is the increase in the volume of the stomach often causes panic, although it is, like the swelling breast subsides in a few weeks, if you follow the advice of a doctor.
The reason for the development of such complications that swelling have the ability to migrate, that is, liquid does not accumulate in any particular place permanently, but moved.
The basis in the fight with swelling of the abdomen can be considered three recommendations:
- it is necessary to observe the doctor recommended drinking regime, trying not to use an excessive amount of liquid to the disappearance of the signs of pathological processes;
- you need to stick to a diet in which time will be limited salt consumption;
- it is recommended that at least six months after surgery to support the body weight at which the patient entered the operation, that is, not to lose weight and not recover.
There are a number of additional recommendations that the patient can obtain from your doctor in order to combat post-operative swelling:
- care should be taken to make the range of motion in the shoulder girdle (the movements that are used daily teeth brushing, dressing);
- for several weeks after surgery will have to abandon all medicines and products that can affect the clotting of blood (fish oil, aspirin, etc.);
- within a few weeks there is a ban on sleeping on the stomach sleeping is recommended palpitates position or with pillows placed under your back and head;
- will have to give up driving until the pain syndrome is not passed;
- recommended moderate physical exercises without overexertion, the ideal option is considered a walk in the fresh air.
With attention you must take the selection of underwear after the doctor allows to change compression bras ordinary.
So, in the first three months after surgery is allowed, after the abolition of compression underwear, to use a well-chosen sports bra.
Replace his underwear with bones, it will be possible not earlier than six months after the intervention.
What can be done to prevent complications
In the prevention of postoperative complications it is impossible to identify any fundamental factor, as prevention is considered effective only if the woman does not neglect any of the tips.
In order to prevent the need to pay attention to:
- a responsible approach to the choice of the operating surgeon, and more priority should be given not at the cost of the service, and the seniority of the doctor, reviews his patients;
- postoperative recommendations of the operating surgeon, which cannot be neglected, even if it seems that everything is in order;
- prevention of infectious complications, which is carried out using broad-spectrum antibiotics, which podimaet and subscribes the attending physician;
- proper selection of implants, in which it is recommended to focus not on price but on proven brand and good materials, listening to the surgeon’s recommendations (basically, different surgeons prefer different brands of implants);
- timely selection of a suitable compression underwear, which is recommended before surgical intervention, based on the characteristics of the patient.
In the prevention of postoperative complications is often crucial commitment of the patient, that is, its willingness to comply with recommendations and trust your doctor.
If commitment is absent, to avoid complications much more difficult, so as part of the recommendations is ignored.
Frequently asked questions
What is the average holding such complications?
Depends on the individual characteristics of the organism.
Swelling can go on the decline after a few days, completely disappeared in two weeks. In some cases, the process takes several months.
Can I wear no compression, but an ordinary underwear after the surgery?
Selection of compression underwear is a mandatory measure of prevention of many complications.
When after control the swelling you can start playing sports?
Not earlier than in a month, provided that the Breasts will be in a well-chosen bra.
When the healing process is complete, but worry about the complications is not worth it?
If we are talking about early complications, then you can stop worrying as soon as the scars are completely healed and will become a light color.
If we are talking about the later complications, the reasons for a certain degree of excitement will always be, as the Breasts with implants is more sensitive to injuries and other outside influence.
Breast implants, being a popular operation, still carries a high risk of complications. Daring her, a woman should clearly decide for themselves if she needs it.