Swelling of the abdomen after mammoplasty
Breast implants surgery or breast augmentation is often done with the aim of improving the aesthetic perception of a woman’s body.
As with any surgery, it can lead to a number of complications. Swelling of the abdomen after mammoplasty is one of the early complications of the operation.
Is it possible
Edema is a physiological reaction of the organism, it occurs in response to inflammation.
Any tissue damage causes inflammation.
It can occur even without infection of the wound surface. This is called aseptic inflammation. It can strengthen the presence of a foreign body (the implant).
The severity of edema depends on the individual characteristics of the organism:
- structure and density of damaged tissue;
- the technique of surgical intervention;
- body reaction to implant, and compliance with doctor’s recommendations after surgery.
Primarily swells the breast, but the swelling can go on the stomach.
Swelling of the abdomen after mammoplasty does not occur in all patients. His education plays an important role in trauma surgery.
For example, when mammoplasty with placement of the implant under the pectoral muscle, more tissue injury enhances the inflammatory response and swelling can be more than installing the implant under the gland.
To provoke puffiness can individual intolerance to the material from which implants are made, so you need to pay attention to their quality.
But more often the swelling occurs in those who do not comply with the recommendations of the attending physician.
- continuous use of gauze dressings in the postoperative period;
- moderate physical activity in the first days after surgery (not to strain to raise his hands, carrying to have sex);
- adequate care of the operating wound: take a warm shower 4 days after surgery, only if allowed by the doctor, you cannot soak the wound and wash your head, because you cannot raise the hands;
- it is necessary to monitor temperature, this can be the first sign of inflammation of the wound;
- recommended to use diet and drink enough water;
- to comply with bed rest in semi-sitting position with raised head end;
- it is necessary to exclude alcohol, blood-thinning medications and visiting saunas and baths.
Swelling of the Breasts occurs in all patients, and swelling of the abdomen after mammoplasty is less common.
Inadequate compression from the underwear, and early impairment in bed after mammoplasty, cause an overflow of the swelling in the stomach.
Physical tension and wetting of the wound amplify the inflammatory process and swelling.
The lack of clean water in the diet of the patient may also enhance the swelling as normal people should drink 30 ml of water per kilogram of body weight per day.
If the body receives less water than normal, the tissues seized her, as if «in reserve», it leads to swelling.
Looks like swelling of the abdomen after mammoplasty
After mammoplasty swelling of the abdomen does not appear immediately, first swells the chest, then a swelling under the action of gravity gradually descends to the stomach.
Many describe this state as «the belly of a pregnant woman».
The stomach, as if swollen, firm to the touch, with pressure can be seen the depression of the fingers. Skin color is not changed unless there is bleeding then bruising from the breast can also go down to the stomach.
Many patients notice that swelling and bruising as if walking on the abdomen, it depends on the activity of women.
This condition must be distinguished from flatulence – bloating due to accumulation of gases in the intestines.
Flatulence, may be associated with the holding of General endotracheal anesthesia, which is often used for mammoplasty, or taking painkillers.
His treatment includes diet, stimulating the bowels, medicine and folk therapies.
You should also reduce the amount of analgesics, as they may provoke the development of constipation.
Video: Possible complications
Cause swelling of the abdomen after mammoplasty is an inflammatory process.
Inflammation has a number of features:
- redness of the skin due to capillary dilation;
- edema, occurs due to release of plasma from blood vessels into the tissue;
- the pain may be a reaction of pain receptors to the pressure from the swelling of the tissues and exposure to substances that are produced during inflammatory response;
- the temperature increase may be local or General;
- dysfunction, and inflammatory disorders of the lymph vessels.
The walls of dilated blood vessels pass water and proteins, they penetrate into surrounding tissues, edema is formed.
Inflammation of the lymph vessels, which must display the excess fluid from subcutaneous tissue, slows down this process and increases the swelling.
Fluid in the subcutaneous tissue under the action of gravity flows down to the stomach. The venous and lymphatic system on the border chest and abdomen have many anastomoses (connections).
This helps the spread of the edema from the surgery site in the region of the stomach after mammoplasty.
Swelling after mammoplasty can also spread to the back and even down into the groin area.
How to reduce the complications
To reduce the swelling around the incision wound in the early days of applied heating pads ice. The pre-heater should be wrapped in a piece of cloth or towel so as not to cause frostbite.
The cold causes constriction of the blood vessels and reduces the release of exudate (serous fluid).
As edema in the abdomen caused due to movement of the fluid under gravity, then you need:
- be sure to wear a customized compression garment;
- drink plenty of fluids;
- to implement the recommendations of the doctor to comply with bed rest.
Hazards and risks
Usually swelling of the abdomen and chest after mammoplasty passes through 2 – 4 weeks. Danger can occur if the serous fluid and blood to accumulate in the wound cavity.
This may be related to individual characteristics of the organism, technique of surgery and a reaction to the implant.
When serous fluid accumulates in the cavity of the wound, the breast increases in size. This formation is called a seroma. Floor control of the ultrasonic device, the liquid is removed.
If this is not done it can fester, cause an abscess and capsular contracture. This fibrous capsule that covers the implant and change its shape.
The risk of such complications is low. It often depends on the quality of the implant, the skill level of the surgeon performing the patient of all recommendations and timely treatment to the doctor at the slightest violations.
What to do
If after mammoplasty caused swelling on my belly, then you need to notify the attending physician. He will examine you and give recommendations how to proceed.
There are a few tips to reduce swelling:
- cold in the stomach, you can use heating pads with cold water or a bag filled with grains for a time rested in the freezer;
- to wear a specially fitted compression garment;
- try less to stand or sit;
- do not take a hot shower, in the first days after the surgery, the water should be slightly warm;
- eat right. The diet should be rich in vitamins and minerals;
- need to limit salt intake, she is the first out of the blood stream with the plasma and delay fluid in the tissues;
- in no case do not limit water intake. Swelling, paradoxically, often do not occur because of excess, but because of the lack of water in the body;
- you can take homeopathic medication and use creams to relieve swelling, which will advise the attending physician;
- in some cases, the doctor may advise a special lymphatic drainage massage of the chest and abdomen, to improve the flow of lymph through the vessels. It cannot hold its own in the first days after surgery. As the wound, the patient is taught massage techniques and let you do it at home. It also reduces puffiness.
Swelling of the abdomen for mammoplasty gradually goes in a month or two from it does not remain also a trace.
Do not need to worry, it is better to take itself in hands and to behave in the postoperative period, then after a few months, your Breasts and belly will look beautiful and pleasing to the eye.