Swelling under the eyes – causes. How to remove puffiness under the eyes?
Swelling under the eyes is bulging of the lower eyelid skin, which at least is a cosmetic defect and can be a symptom of various diseases. The eyelid skin is radically different from the skin on the face:
- she has virtually no layer of subcutaneous fat;
- it has less collagen and elastin fibers that provide skin its elasticity and ability to resist stretching;
- she is «on weight», since in orbit there is no support for soft tissues;
- the skin around the eyes more thin and constantly involved in the movement of the eyelids during blinking, and zamurovannye;
- the eyelid goes the extra load acting on the inside of the orbit periorbital fatty tissue that surrounds the eyeball;
- in the skin of the eyelids is a large number of vessels, which form an extensive network in the inner corner of the eye vessels of a person connected with blood vessels in the cranial cavity;
- the outflow of lymph from the soft tissue of the eyelids is in the parotid and submandibular lymph nodes, then there are multiple roads that should be considered when carrying out a range of beauty treatments to improve lymphatic drainage and blood circulation in the eye area.
Swelling can occur when:
- the accumulation of fluid in the eyelid skin;
- by increasing the volume of periorbital tissue when adipose tissue begins to bulge and push the skin forward of the century;
- when soft tissue injuries of the forehead and bridge of nose due to accumulation in the skin of the eyelids blood from damaged blood vessels overlying areas.
Video: Methods to get rid of bags
In some cases, it’s just a cosmetic defect
Fluid accumulation in the skin of the eyelids:
- Prolonged eye strain on the eyes when driving a car, reading, working by the light of fluorescent lamps and especially during prolonged work at the computer without breaks to rest the eyes. In this case, there is a constant tension of the muscles located around the eyes. This impairs blood flow in the vascular network of the eyelids, the liquid part of blood out of the vessels and nourishes the skin, causing visible swelling of the tissues and further violates the blood flow in the vessels. So it is a vicious circle when the eyelid edema support itself.
- As a result of improper care of the skin in the eye area when using aggressive cleaning agents, heavy oily creams are not designed to care for the eye contour, creams with a dense texture, installation tools, powder and makeup base, not intended for application to the skin around the eyes.
- The irritation of the mucous membranes of the eyes aggressive substances (smoke or caustic solution) or contact with a foreign body in the eye.
Video: How to remove puffiness?
The increase of fat tissue in the orbit:
- Inherited trait of excessive development of the adipose tissue of the eyes, when from an early age there is a persistent swelling of the eyelids, which is not changed under the influence of external and internal factors. Typically, such a feature is observed from a young age, and at least one of the parents.
- Swelling of the adipose tissue in case of excessive fluid intake, salty foods, fatigue. These are the swelling under the eyes that have seen many a morning after a sleepless night or a party.
- After crying, laughter and less tears, especially closer to bedtime. This is due to the fact that while crying is a rush of blood to the lacrimal gland.
- The appearance of a protrusion of periorbital fat with age. The appearance of these protrusions with age-related resorption of bone tissue at the corners of the eye socket, causing the socket becomes larger and the support for the soft tissues around the eyes decreases.
- The appearance of protrusions with age associated with loss of tissue elasticity and sagging of the skin and the transverse ligament of the eye that can no longer hold fat tissue in the eye socket.
At the transition of the swelling and migration of blood streamed from the overlying areas:
- By the bite of insects (especially bees and wasps) in the scalp and forehead at the site of the bite, edema, which is under the influence of gravity down into the area of the eyelid skin. Swelling resolves on its own after a while without treatment. Such swelling is most often unilateral and located closer to the site of the bite.
- Swelling and bruising under the eyes can occur when a blow to the head, on the forehead, in the nose, when the skin of the eyelids is going to inflammatory fluid and blood from damaged blood vessels of the overlying soft tissues. Such swelling may be unilateral if the damage to the tissue overlying region is located farther from the midline. It can be bilateral with extensive lesions and intense bleeding or if the injury was inflicted closer to the center of the head or forehead.
- Swelling of the eyelids may be caused by the distension of the eyelid skin and loss of its elasticity at a young age, with constant application of wrong cosmetics, the habit of rubbing your eyes after the expressed edema. This is due to the small amount of collagen and elastin fibers, which are easily damaged during the stretching and injury of the skin.
In some cases, this may indicate disease
If there is swelling under the eyes, the reason is not always in overabundance of fluid or lack of sleep. Quite often, puffiness under the eyes are a symptom of the disease, sometimes the only symptom:
- Allergic swellings appear in response to the contact allergen to the mucous membrane of the eye. Such swelling develop quickly enough after contact with the allergen and the same speed, if the irritant is eliminated or adopted protivoallergichesky drug. Such swelling is often accompanied by itching or pain in the eyes, redness of eyes, watery eyes, sneezing, nasal congestion and copious mucous secretions from the nose.
- When inflammation in the adjacent anatomical structures. Most often, they are accompanied by other symptoms characteristic of a specific disease.
- Unilateral swelling under his right eye associated with inflammation in the sinuses of the nose to the right, respectively, under the left eye on the left.
- Inflammation of the teeth and surrounding tooth tissue of the upper jaw.
- Inflammation of the conjunctiva of the eye, lacrimal glands, periorbital tissue and facial nerve.
As a result of violations of the outflow of venous blood and lymph:
- Botox can disrupt lymph flow from the eye area.
- Persistent swelling under the left eye may develop in case of violation of venous outflow from the face and head or pinched nerve in the development of spinal hernia on the left under his right eye, respectively, on the right.
In diseases of the internal organs:
- Heart swelling under the eyes often develop in the late afternoon, often combined with edema in the legs, are diuretics, adherence to a special diet designed for patients with diseases of the cardiovascular system, after selecting the effective treatment of heart disease. With the progression of heart disease the puffiness on the face and legs can become virtually permanent.
- Morning bags under the eyes often indicate problems with the kidneys, who have no time to withdraw all excess fluid and salt from the body.
Video: skin Care around the eyes
The necessary tests
If you suspect that is a symptom of any disease, it is necessary to pass the examination.
First, you need to ask the therapist to exclude diseases of the internal organs.
To do this, the therapist assigns urinalysis, General blood test, biochemical blood test, cardiogram and chest x-ray study.
This allows the doctor to determine how well internal organs are working and whether the underlying disease to be the cause.
Allergist if there are any complaints on swelling of the eyelids assigns Allergy tests to establish the presence or absence of allergic reactions to certain allergens. Ophthalmologist during the inspection evaluates the condition of the eyeball and the surrounding soft tissues.
The dentist’s radiograph or computed tomogram makes the conclusion about the condition of teeth and presence or absence of diseases of the teeth of the upper jaw inflammatory nature.
ENT doctor for radiographs of the face make a conclusion about the condition of the sinuses.
Neurologist for examination by x-ray and MRI evaluates the anatomy of the spine, looking for possible problems with the conduction of nerve impulses along the nerve fibers to the face and neck.
Depending on the identify of reasons, is chosen and treatment.
If swelling under the eyes are a symptom of the disease, it is necessary to eliminate the disease, otherwise all efforts to eliminate swelling of the eyelids will either be useless, or the effect of local procedures will be short-lived. Treatment of the underlying disease it is better to do the doctor.
If it is caused by a cosmetic defect, it will help to eliminate them new behavioral habits:
- Care must be taken about the optimal lighting in the room where you are. Day is best to work with natural lighting or combine it with artificial.
- Prolonged eye strain when working at the computer definitely need to take breaks to relax the eyes, during which it is best to meditate, to look out the window or do any exercise.
- Be sure to cleanse the skin of the eyelids and face from makeup at night with specially selected skincare, after cleansing, use toner and light moisturizer for the skin around the eyes.
- In any case, do not RUB eyes. To remove ink best with cotton sticks resting on the lower eyelid, half a cotton pad. Apply the cream can be hammered light movements with the pads of the ring finger (it’s the weakest of the fingers of the hand and other fingers are softer on the skin). Scratching eyelids can, but it should be done gently, trying not to move the skin.
- Better not apply for ever concealer, powder Foundation is better to replace light beige or cream shadows that do not have such a pronounced drying action.
- In the evenings not to have much on salty foods, drink plenty of water or consume alcoholic beverages.
- Positively on the skin of the face and around the eyes is affected by a sufficient night’s sleep and choosing the right pillow that will not provoke spasm of the neck muscles.
- The intake of b vitamins, multivitamin complexes can improve the condition and appearance of the skin that can greatly reduce the swelling of eyelids.
Persistent swelling on the eyelid which develops with age can be eliminated in the early stages with injections of hyaluronic acid, and in severe cases plastic surgery techniques.
What to do if the swelling in your child?
In children causes of swollen eyelids are similar to those seen in adults. This may be an innate feature of the structure of the periorbital fat. Then the constant swelling and the severity of it almost unchanged. This may be a consequence of crying, exhaustion in violation of falling asleep, after sleeping in an awkward position, especially if the head was on the level below the body. Such swelling is normal and do not require treatment.
If they appeared suddenly and are combined with the General state, constant crying, and poor health, it is necessary to refer to the paediatrician and undergo the necessary examination.
How you can quickly remove the puffiness?
The easiest and most effective way is to relax, to rest, to sleep, to establish the drinking mode and to choose the right care for the skin around the eyes. At least temporarily better to abandon Smoking and drinking alcohol. You can visit a beautician or use home remedies.
Beauty creams and masks
Currently, there are special funds for the skin around the eyes that allow you to get rid of edema.
If you want a quick effect, it is most often used eye creams with caffeine and special mask effect. Often, these funds go in the package with a roller or vibrator for extra massage the eyelids when applying the tools.
If the eyelid swelling is observed periodically, you can choose a cream based on horse chestnut, which improves venous outflow, collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid that provide deep skin hydration and improve its elasticity, vitamin K, which reduces the intensity of dark circles around the eyes.
Well swelling with constant use of beauty creams and serums with extracts of chamomile, sage, calendula.
Mask with a cooling effect or use of the melted ice cubes for the cream reduce the swelling of the eyelids.
A folk remedy against edema under the eyes
Our grandparents always knew, how to remove puffiness under the eyes natural and effective means. For this purpose, the funds now available to each of us.
The easiest and effective way to instantly get rid of swollen eyelids is to wipe them with a cube of frozen parsley juice.
Similarly, you can freeze finely grated parsley roots. They can also be applied to the skin of the eyelid in the form of a mask. In the form of a mask, you can use the pulp of mint leaves or lemon balm.
In the form of lotions effective infusions and decoctions of medicinal plants such as chamomile, horsetail, Linden flowers, Arnica, sage, and succession. Often used in the form of compresses bags green or black tea, cucumber juice or cucumber mask.
Video: Parsley against bags under the eyes
Massage and self-massage of the face can be a lifesaver for those who periodically appear swelling eyes how to get rid of which is unclear.
You can use any of the options. The only condition is the implementation of optimal lymph drainage and venous blood outflow.
It is worth remembering this peculiarity of lymph drainage from the eyes as the presence of several outflow pathways. To obtain a consistent and quick results to work you need all of them.
Samomassaj should start with a small amount of stroking and kneading moderate intensity, gradually increasing the time and intensity of exposure.
To most effectively carry out sessions of self-massage 2-3 times per week for courses of 10 sessions. You can spend 3-4 courses per year. Enhance the effect of massage exercises for the muscles of the face that can relieve spasms and constant voltage of individual muscle groups and improve circulation in the soft tissues of the face. All this creates optimal conditions for the outflow of excess fluid from the skin of the eyelids and face.