What stretch marks when appear, during pregnancy, why on the body, on the hips
Stretch marks typically occur on problem skin areas such as:
This files most often face this problem:
- persons suffering from obesity,
For these risk groups it is important to take precautions and try to prevent the appearance of striae or stretch marks.
Stretch marks appear on the body due to the weakening of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. The elasticity of the skin is determined primarily by the presence of special elastic fibres in the dermis.
With the growth and development of the human body, these fibers expand and allow growing the skin lose their elasticity, provide efficient protection to the body. However, if it comes to extreme stretching of the skin, the elastic fibers can crack and on the surface of the skin appears tiny scars — stretch marks.
The older the human body, the higher the risk of the formation of stretch marks. With the exception of the elderly, they often appear in athletes with a large amount of muscle mass.
Patients who use corticosteroids that suppress the immune system, and cause thinning of the skin and subcutaneous tissue are also at risk.
In addition, hormonal changes associated with puberty, pregnancy, lactation or menopause can contribute to changes in the structure of the skin, which is more susceptible to damage and the appearance of stretch marks.
Although it is not uncommon to meet full of people without a single stretch marks, and Vice versa — this skinny little girl may suffer from an innate striae available at a relatively young age.
The most common reasons for their occurrence:
- heredity. If you have noticed stretch marks on the body of your grandmother or mom, there is a high likelihood of them from you in the future;
- hormonal changes. Increased risk of stretch marks may cause an increase of hormones in a certain period of life, for example, in puberty, during pregnancy, lactation or menopause. Stretch marks can also occur as a result of the use of hormonal drugs such as anabolic steroids;
- pregnancy. Due to the rapid weight gain and expansion of parts of the female body the likelihood of stretch marks during this period was as high as ever;
- obesity. The appearance of stretch marks depends on the rate of weight gain and age, when people came to excess weight (at an older age the chance of appearing stretch marks higher).
What it is
Stretch marks are small scars on the skin arising from violation of elastic fibers below the skin’s surface. It’s kind of oblong, atrophied stripes on the body.
Usually at length they reach a few centimetres from 1 to 10 mm in width.
The appearance of stretch marks are usually reddish-purple color, which fade over time. Doctors say that the exact mechanism of the appearance of stretch marks is unknown.
What stretch marks
Most of the appearance of stretch marks are exposed. According to statistics, they occur in 70% of girls and 40% boys in adolescence and 90% of women during pregnancy. Also, you can often find stretch marks in people with dark skin. Another risk factor for their occurrence is the presence of diseases such as diabetes or tuberculosis.
Initially they are invisible, have a light color, but gradually lengthen, widen and darken.
Never stretch marks do not disappear by themselves, only become less noticeable.
If the stretch marks appeared on the body, think about what caused this. If you suddenly got better, but not pregnant, don’t take corticosteroids (prednisone) contact your doctor.
It is important to consider the appearances of stretch marks and eliminate diseases such as Cushing’s syndrome or Marfan:
- Cushing’s syndrome is an endocrine disorder in which the blood revealed high levels of corticosteroids. They, in turn, reduce the level of collagen, which entails the appearance of stretch marks;
- syndrome Marfina is a genetic disease of the connective tissue. Tall, slender people with long fingers and limbs suffer from deformities of the skeletal system, which often leads to the formation of stretch marks.
During pregnancy stretch marks are most often found in II and III trimester. They usually have a red or pink color.
During pregnancy the appearance of stretch marks is influenced by two factors:
- the weakening of the skin and subcutaneous tissue
- the rapid growth of the fetus and an increase in fat reserves leads to a rapid stretching of the skin, which can not cope with this problem.
Both of these factors increase the probability not only of the appearance of stretch marks, but the appearance of health problems in General.
Most often stretch marks during pregnancy on the abdomen, thighs, chest, or rarely in other parts of the body.
The risk period for the emergence of stretch marks is III trimester.
Although it is possible their emergence in the first six months with the hormonal changes that accompany pregnancy from the beginning. With the increase of stomach skin is stretched and leads to the formation of cracks on its surface.
On the body
Unhealthy lifestyle and poor nutrition can also cause the appearance of stretch marks on the body.
This problem is especially true of people in the body which is not enough protein, because it is the main component for collagen and elastin, which are responsible for skin elasticity.
Stretch marks on the body as a consequence of dehydration. If the person does not drink water in sufficient quantity, the skin becomes dry and it is impossible to moisturize even through cosmetics. Losing moisture content inside the skin loses its elasticity that contributes to the rapid formation of stretch marks.
Stretch marks on the hips can appear absolutely anyone. This can be both a teenager and a professional athlete.
Most often stretch marks on the hips appear in women during pregnancy.
Failure of blood circulation in this area of the skin is also a cause of stretch marks on thighs. Sometimes their appearance is accompanied by itching and tingling.
On the chest
Stretch marks on Breasts is quite common. They can appear in both young and nulliparous girls and older women. Stretch marks on Breasts resemble more scars, only are they not on top of the skin and inside.
If stretch marks have appeared at the teenage girl, most likely caused by the intensive growth of the mammary glands. A sharp change in body weight also increases the risk of this problem.
Most often stretch marks occur after childbirth. During this period a woman’s body endures significant changes, so the appearance of stretch marks is natural.
Video: Important information
Any specialist will tell you that it is much easier to prevent the appearance of stretch marks (even if prevention is not always a reliable protection) than to remove them.
What measures should be taken to prevent the appearance of stretch marks:
- drink plenty of fluids;
- regularly do physical exercises to improve blood flow to the skin;
- during and after pregnancy the skin should be lubricated with creams at least 2 times a day. It is important to note that the stomach should be lubricated during the first weeks of pregnancy before it will start to grow;
- massage improves blood circulation and skin quality;
- when losing weight you should try to drop those extra pounds gradually.
Even if stretch marks have already appeared, do not panic. As noted earlier, they eventually fade and become less noticeable, in rare cases, some may disappear altogether.
Experts in the field of cosmetology is advised not to expose the affected skin to the sun and treat them like any other scars on the body. This means regular oiling and massaging.
Proven tools you can find at pharmacies or make use of famous ointment, which is composed of pork fat.
Prevent stretch marks is possible through proper nutrition, hydration, and ancillary products. The elasticity of the skin provides us the collagen and elastic fibers. The stronger the fiber, the less likely the formation of stretch marks. For the production of collagen you need adequate amounts of vitamin E and C, zinc and silicon.
Vitamin C as an antioxidant, protects the skin from damage. In sufficient quantity it contains in vegetables:
- green beans and fruit (citrus and strawberries),
- red meat
- dairy products,
- nuts and legumes are rich in zinc.
Vitamin B2 and B3 to keep the skin healthy. In addition to these products, in the diet include:
Observe the amount of fluid in the body. The optimal daily dose is 2.5 liters per day.
Do not count on coffee and alcohol which have a dehydrating effect. A sufficient amount of fluid strengthens the skin and helps it to recover in case of trouble.
Supportive care is the application of special creams, gels and oils for problem areas.
Regular lubrication of these areas increases the elasticity of skin, improves blood circulation and thus reduces the skin tension.
Photo: Before and after