Breast MRI: what shows?
Magnetic resonance imaging of the breast is an important diagnostic procedure. It allows you to get the clearest possible image of the breast. Using obtained data it is possible to judge the state of the mammary glands, the presence of any pathology. Mammography and ultrasonography does not always give a clear image of the organs, in such cases, further appointed MRI. There are two types of this procedure: MRI breast with and without contrast.
Breast MRI with contrast and without
Breast MRI without contrast, involves obtaining data such as:
Recommended for MRI of the breast once a year for women after 40 years. This minimizes the possibility of death from breast cancer.
Mr-Issledovanie breast: the procedure
The procedure is performed on a 7-12 day cycle, menopause – at any time. MRI does not require prior training. Sometimes the doctor advises some time to diet or to stop taking certain medications.
MRI does not require hospitalization, the procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. During this operation the woman is dressed in a shirt, the main thing that the clothes were not items that could have an impact on the magnet: mobile phones, credit cards, metal jewelry.
The patient lies on the abdomen, Breasts fall into special holes, which are surrounded by cushions and with a special spiral. Spiral picks up the signal of the MRI machine that allows you to create a clear description. As soon as the woman takes the desired position, the table moves into the magnet apparatus.
How long is the procedure of magnetic resonance imaging, depends on which organ or organ system is examined. For example, examination of the brain takes about 20 minutes, and the MRI may last up to 1 hour. In difficult cases it takes place in several stages.
If you want to use a contrast agent, it is introduced directly during the procedure using a special catheter.
MRI refers to the safe kind of research. However, it is also contraindicated, which can be divided into two types:
Absolute contraindications, in which the procedure prohibited:
- If the woman has metal objects in the body, implants, clips, braces, magnetic they can become dislodged and cause internal bleeding.
- If the stationary position, the patient can begin muscle spasms or seizures, the diagnostic results will be inaccurate, as the image will appear blurred.
- The presence of Allergy to contrast material are rare. But if there are such indications, the procedure shouldn’t be done. Since gadolinium can cause anaphylactic shock
- The introduction of a contrast agent may exacerbate existing diseases of the genitourinary system and kidneys.
- A pacemaker or insulin pump, are contraindications for MRI. Magnetic waves can affect the stability of operation of the apparatus.
- Overweight (over 120 kg) allows to carry out the procedure.
Relative contraindications allow for the procedure after careful preparation:
- During pregnancy magnetic waves can adversely affect fetal development. A contrast material into the milk while breastfeeding, can cause allergies in your baby. In such situations, the procedure should be postponed.
- If the patient suffers from claustrophobia, a doctor can prescribe a consultation with a psychologist to help cope with fear or reduce its impact.
- Tattoos using inks with a touch of metal cause a burning sensation or even a burn.
Important! The MRI procedure does not have a negative impact on a woman’s body, so that if necessary it can be carried out repeatedly.
Timely diagnosis and proper diagnosis help to avoid many serious complications. Breast screening MRI machine allows to detect the tumor and begin to fight it. This will help a woman to maintain not only health, but life.