Computer tomography of abdominal cavity
Computed tomography of the abdominal cavity – one of the most modern examination methods, allowing by means of x-rays to obtain precise images with a controlled amount of slice and plane. During diagnosis, the doctor gets a three dimensional picture where you can see the slightest pathological changes that are invisible by other methods, such as ultrasound.
The organs examined with CT of the abdomen, identify the organs of the gastrointestinal tract:
Indications for imaging can be:
- Acute injuries of the abdomen – CT scan shows the nature of the injury, its extent, the massive bleeding from the damaged organ.
- In preparation for surgical intervention, its utility in the detection of pathology.
- Acute pain of unknown etiology.
- Disorders in the digestive tract, not revealed by other methods of examination.
- Suspected pathological formation in the abdominal cavity. This study is most reliable in cases of suspected cancer, it allows you to identify tumor at the earliest stages of development, indicates the degree of metastasis, the boundaries of education, degree of involvement of adjacent tissues and organs.
- Monitoring earlier treatment.
- A sharp decline in the weight of the patient and a suspicion of a mechanical jaundice.
- Inflammatory processes of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Dystrophic process.
- Foreign body.
- Abnormal development of the digestive system.
- Diseases of the liver.
CT scan of the abdomen helps in the diagnosis of many diseases, prolapse of the kidney, aortic aneurysm, abscesses and cellulitis, hematological malignancies, pancreatitis, diverticulitis, fistulas and cysts of the intestine (cyst of the mesentery, omentum).
When MRI can not be done?
Despite the safety of the method, abdominal CT, like any other medical procedures, has its contraindications are divided into absolute and relative.
- A condition in which the patient is unable to keep perfectly still. At the slightest movement the picture is blurry, consequently, the study will be completely uninformative.
- Pregnancy. The method of CT on the impact on human tissue x-rays, which have a teratogenic effect on the fetus. The technique is contraindicated for the entire period of gestation.
- Instability in the mental state of the patient. Procedure even mentally healthy person is able to cause excitement due to the confined space and loud noise in the scanning process.
- The presence of metallic foreign bodies in the human body (plates, braces, implants).
- Weight. The scanner is designed for loads not more than 120 kg, with a larger weight a couch just breaks.
- Breast-feeding. Within days after the examination, it is not recommended to feed the baby breast milk, as it is able to accumulate radiation.
- Children up to age 14 years. It is preferable to use alternative methods of examination.
- Acute inflammatory process in the kidneys.
- If seven days before the procedure, the patient took an x-ray examination of the gastrointestinal tract with contrast medium on the basis of barium.
- Diseases of the circulatory system.
- Cardiovascular pathology.
A preliminary survey
Before performing a CT of the abdomen the doctor may need the results of other studies General and biochemical blood analysis, ultrasound of abdomen, colonoscopy, EGD of the stomach and duodenum of the intestine, the direction of the local oncologist.
How to prepare for the procedure?
As with all diagnostic methods of examination of the abdominal CT scan requires patient training. The cooking process is not difficult and it takes a couple of days before your scan. First and foremost, the patient needs to follow a diet is to stop eating foods that increase the level of gasification in the gut (beans, peas, legumes, sweet drinks, pastries and black bread). This is essential, since excess gas in the intestine in the picture may not be visible many structures of the body and disorders in its structure. Patients who are prone to allergies, eliminate allergenic foods. As the study is carried out on an empty stomach, for the patient it is more convenient to sign up for the morning, in order not to experience hunger. If this proved impossible, so the last meal should be 5 hours before the test:
- CT scan is scheduled for lunch time – for Breakfast you can eat tea and toast.
- CT scan scheduled for the evening – a full Breakfast, but skip lunch.
A few hours before the procedure, the bowel must be clean of feces. For this, you can do an enema, preferably twice, or drink a laxative. After these manipulations are not allowed to eat.
If you are experiencing anxiety, you will help sedatives.
It is necessary to take:
- the direction of a doctor in CT;
- extract from history or from the medical record of the patient with the result of the last test;
- if you want comfortable, no restrictive clothing.
The stages of the survey
The CT scanner is a moving couch, around which is located a scanner. The test takes 15-20 minutes. Be sure the patient removes all metal products, if you want dressed in comfortable clothing, which will be easier to be immobile, and lies on the couch. To distract from the noise of the camera you can listen to music through headphones. The doctor during the procedure is in the next room behind the glass, if there is a need to contact him, the device is equipped with two-way voice communication. Preparation of a report usually takes 1-2 hours.
Computed tomography of the abdomen has many advantages, such as painless, non-invasive, fast results. At a minimum the harmful effects of x-ray radiation on the body method shows a large number of pathologies, invisible to other examination methods, to prevent possible deadly complications.