CT of retroperitoneal space
CT of the retroperitoneal space is the method of examination of tissues using x-rays in which the doctor receives the layered image of the desired bodies in a given plane. High accuracy and informativeness of this method of study allows likely to put the correct diagnosis and a proper treatment regimen.
In the retroperitoneal space, concentrated a large number of organ systems perform vital functions for sustaining human life. These include:
CT of retroperitoneal space is considered a safe method of research, but still has its contraindications. They are divided into absolute and relative (to the application of the method possible in the case when the benefit obtained from it exceeds the harm).
- Pregnancy – x-rays have teratogenic properties, therefore, can significantly affect fetal development. The use of this method it is impossible at any stage of pregnancy.
- Overweight – scanner can withstand patients weighing up to 120 kg, large load machine will not stand.
- Mental behavioral manipulations can cause the patient’s inappropriate response.
- Diseases accompanied by hyperkinesis (pathological mobility). For precision study, the patient must be completely immobile during the procedure, otherwise it makes no sense and get clear pictures does not work.
- Allergy to the contrast (if used) – contrast substance containing iodine is quite allergenic.
- The patient’s age up to 14 years.
- Acute inflammatory process in the kidney and ureter chronic renal failure – the study of the kidneys with contrast contrast agent is used for its elimination from the body to the inflamed organ falls additional load.
- Cardiovascular disease, diabetes, some neurologic diseases.
CT with contrast
For the study of certain systems and organs used computed tomography with contrast medium. Contrast is a substance containing iodine, which is administered intravenously, orally or rectally (depending on the investigated object), and allows you to clearly see the structure of the body. Excreted naturally during the day.
Important! The contrast stands out with breast milk, therefore it is recommended for one or two days to interrupt breastfeeding.
In preparation for the examination bodies
CT of the retroperitoneum is performed on an empty stomach, so by the time of the gastrointestinal tract should be as free of food. Patients suffering from constipation, before you can make a cleansing enema or take a laxative. You should not eat foods that cause flatulence and slow peristalsis (beans, peas, soda). It is preferable to study in the morning, but depending on the time of the imaging recommended:
- a light dinner ( the study is scheduled for the morning);
- liquid Lite Breakfast (study at lunch time);
- do not eat, if the study will take place in the evening.
Tip! In the study of the urinary system most likely need fresh blood chemistry. Take care of it.
The methodology of the
During inspection of organs, the patient lies motionless on a couch, around which moves a special scanner. The procedure takes about 15 minutes with contrast – a half-hour, and all this time neobhodimosti still, so it is advisable to prepare comfortable clothes that won’t cause any discomfort, or to ask medical staff disposable set of clothes.
Definitely need to remove all metal jewelry and to remove the electronic device, the device can harm them. The doctor will stay behind the glass and to follow the process, if there is a need to ask the question – this can be done using two-way communication. Conclusion the radiologist will give hands on for 1-2 hours.
The advantages of tomography of the retroperitoneal space over other methods
- Noninvasive methods. To assess the state bodies are not required to hold surgical incisions, laparoscopy method is painless and extremely accurate.
- One photo shows the bone structure, and blood vessels and soft tissue organs. This allows you to do the same procedure of the study.
- A study at the desired depth and in the desired plane. Ultrasound and conventional x-ray do not have this possibility.
- A quick result. Saves vital time during emergency situations (e.g., bleeding from internal organs).
- Less sensitive to the mobility of subjects in contrast to MRI.
- Allows you to diagnose diseases at early stages, which is especially important for suspected cancer. In this case, your doctor may start treatment in time to prevent the development of the process.
- Convenient for the patient, which is not required actions and do not need to endure painful manipulations.
Useful tips! Carefully gather all of your test results, the doctor may need any of them. Follow all instructions, in no case do not neglect the diet before the procedure, this will avoid the directions on re-shot because of the spuriousness of the result.In that case, if you are confused by the noise apparatus in the process of manipulation, you can use headphones. Relax, close your eyes, imagine yourself in another place, do not panic, it will help you to be immobile. When a strong emotion before you can take a light sedative.