CT of the temporal bone in adults and children
With the assertion that the correct diagnosis is half cure the disease, known not only to doctors. And this position is absolutely fair, because an error in diagnosis may cost the patient many years of struggle with complications that could have been avoided, but sometimes life. There are many conditions and diseases where diagnosis is required to put in hours or even minutes. And if it was considered science fiction, now with the help of modern technology in medicine and diagnostics has become a reality. One of such methods includes CT of the temporal bones. This method of diagnosis allows the physician to obtain the most accurate and reliable picture of patient injury or incurred the disease.
Description of the procedure
Computed tomography of the temporal bones allows thoroughly to see clearly is extremely important education is in the human body. This is a paired structure that is part of the skull, that is, protecting the brain from external damage. But this is not the only role of the temporal bone. In addition:
CT of the temporal bones can be assigned for the diagnosis of the following pathologies:
- Diseases of the organ of hearing of an inflammatory nature, it may be otitis, parotitis, mastoiditis.
- The presence of foreign bodies in the ear canal. This condition is especially common in children of preschool age.
- The occurrence of tumors of the ear. Tumors in this area is rare but it can lead to serious coordination disorders.
- Injuries of the bony apparatus of hearing and skull temples.
- The symptoms of hearing loss, tinnitus, hearing loss.
- Pus or serous fluid from the ear canal.
- Cerebral hernia.
- Suspected congenital anomalies of the structure of the pyramids of the temporal bones or other structures of the organ of hearing.
- The occurrence of such complications inflammatory diseases of the middle ear as the abscess of the brain.
Additionally, you may be assigned a CT of the temporal bone at the planned micro-operation on the organs of hearing or to monitor the effectiveness of the treatment.
Most contraindications to CT of the temporal bone due to radiation nature of this study. The most important contraindications include:
- Pregnancy. In this case, the mean absolute contraindication. If the patient is carrying a child, your doctor will have to choose another method of diagnosis, as CT has a very negative effect on the development of the fetus and can cause severe congenital pathologies.
- Early childhood. This contraindication is relative and in each case the attending physician decides on the feasibility of the study, weighing the potential risk from it and the need for accurate and rapid method of diagnosis.
- The hyperkinesis of the head. Frequent involuntary movements of the head method will absolutely not informative, as for the qualitative results of the patient within a certain time should be fixed.
- The high weight of the patient. This contraindication due to the technical characteristics of the device, which be undergoing CT of the temporal bones. The majority of the devices designed to diagnose patients with body weight less than 130 kg, there are machines that allow the procedure to people with a weight up to 170 kg.
The mechanism of carrying out, preparation
Prior to conducting the computer tomography of the temporal bones, the doctor will gather a detailed history of the patient, to address the question about the necessity and possibility of the use of contrast agents.
Indications for the use of contrast is suspicion of the presence of malignant tumours of the temporal bone. Contrast helps more informative to diagnose cancer as it accumulates in tumours more than in other tissues. If the use of contrast, no contraindications it is absolutely harmless to the body and almost completely excreted in the first days after diagnosis.
If the decision to use contrast in procedure should come on an empty stomach. In the case of a CT-scan of the pyramids of the temporal bones without contrast usage special training procedure does not require.
During the diagnosis the patient will be asked to lie on a table scanner, which automatically slides under the ring. Inside the ring it is important to maintain maximum rigidity of the area of study, otherwise the results will be flawed. Just diagnosis to last no more than 10 minutes without the use of contrast and about 20 minutes if a contrast agent was used. The obtained by this study shows the doctor the condition of the temporal bone, the pyramid and her hearing is much more informative than other methods.