Heart ultrasound: indications, preparation, results
Almost all the organs in the human body come in pairs. But the heart is only one and to work it begins long before our birth.
Life goes on, heart is beating, and at some point, emergency, emergency lights, hospital cardiac profile and a disappointing diagnosis. And, perhaps, no man! Tragically, many heart diseases can be diagnosed in time. Accurate, painless research is the ULTRASONIC diagnostics of the heart and blood vessels.
The echocardiography Doppler – so-properly called this procedure – used in the diagnosis and treatment of various diseases.
Who is a heart ultrasound?
The study is carried out to all age groups of patients from newborn babies to elderly patients and pregnant women. If there is suspicion of any pathology of the heart muscle or vessels may pass the study without waiting for emergency conditions.
- Planned activities:
- the baby if the expectant mother is not held elective ultrasound or suspected congenital malformations;
- teenagers in the period of intensive growth;
- pregnant women to address the issue of self-delivery in chronic diseases of the heart;
- athletes to assess the state of the cardiovascular system.
- Diagnose diseases of the endocardium and valve apparatus:
- arrhythmias – tachycardia, bradycardia;
- threatening or held the heart attack;
- coronary artery disease;
- cancer pathology of the heart;
- cardiac abnormalities in alcohol, toxic, endocrine intoxication.
- Pericarditis of various Genesis;
- Heart failure;
- Dynamic monitoring in the treatment of heart disease or surgical intervention on the organ.
A separate category of patients – pregnant women. The procedure required if:
- diabetes mellitus in anamnesis;
- heart disease the patient and immediate family;
- rubella during pregnancy or high levels of antibodies in the analysis of TORCH-infections;
- nevynashivanii mysterious origins;
- taking anticonvulsants during pregnancy in the 1st and 2nd trimesters;
- before planning a pregnancy after suffering flu, sore throat, diseases of the cardiological profile.
Many clinics do not require a doctor’s referral for the procedure. Enough to prepare yourself psychologically and you can contact the experts of ULTRASONIC diagnostics through a family doctor, internist or cardiologist.
Special preparation for ultrasound of the heart is not possible. Before the procedure, the patient is allowed to eat, walk, drink your favorite drinks. You should only give up alcohol, coffee, strong tea. Active ingredients in these products may cause vasospasm.
If you are taking any medicines of the cardiological profile, tell the doctor before the procedure. This will distort the results of the study.
The methodology of echocardiography
Heart ultrasound gives the opportunity to evaluate:
- the linear dimensions of the body and its parts;
- the wall thickness of the organ, its components and the integrity of the external sites;
- gives a clear picture of the structure of tissues, the presence of perforations in different areas;
- the condition of the valves by their contractility;
- the blood flow in the aorta and other blood vessels;
- the integrity of the walls of the aorta and other blood vessels;
- blood pressure, the direction of its motion in the heart;
- to make the evaluation of the pericardium.
Manipulation takes place in the supine position or on the left side in front of the doctor. The study lasts no more than 20 minutes. Before the manipulation necessary to remove all jewelry – chains, crosses, earrings with the study area.
Hard rules on the periodicity of the passage of ultrasound does not exist. During the procedure is no radiation and other stress on the body. So you can pass the study as needed and even a few times a week.
Heart ultrasound during pregnancy for mothers in any period indicated. Unborn child this procedure will not hurt. If you want to conduct a study of the fetal heart, it is better to do it in the period of 18 weeks. Specifically to do an ultrasound of the future baby is not necessary, as the inspection body and its components is included in the compulsory examination report women in the period of 18-19 weeks.
At each subsequent ultrasound, it is necessary to take a transcript of previous studies. This will allow the doctor to look at the dynamics of the process and to do correct conclusions about results of treatment.
Heart ultrasound — how to decipher the results?
On the basis of the conducted research, the physician makes a report. The results may depend on sex and age of the patient.
Decoding of the received data is not a final diagnosis! Doctor of ULTRASONIC diagnostics reports the conclusion of the cardiologist. And that only on the basis of complaints, transcripts of the analyses of data electrocardiogram can make accurate conclusions!
Normal levels of an adult are presented in the table:
|Part of the heart||Name of the indicator||Normal values|
|The left ventricle||The weight of the heart muscle – myocardial||Men from 135 to 182 g
Women – from 95 to 141 g
|The index of weight of a myocardium||
Men from 71 to 94 g/m2
Women from 71 of 89 g/m2
|End-diastolic size||46-57,1 mm|
|Final systolic size||31-43 mm|
|Wall thickness at diastolic phase and in a moment of relaxation||Within 11 mm|
|Ejection fraction is the ratio of the volume of blood pushed into the vessel at the time of reduction of the total volume in the heart||
55 to 60%
|Stroke volume will show how much blood is pushed into the vessels at the time of muscle contraction||From 60 to 100 ml|
|The right ventricle||Index size||from 0.75 to 1.25 cm/m2|
|Wall thickness||From 4 mm to 0.5 cm|
|Diastolic dimension (during relaxation)||From 0.95 to 2.05 cm|
Transcript of normal values for the interventricular septum:
|Name of the indicator||Normal values|
|The thickness of the wall in a moment of relaxation||From 7.5 mm to 11 mm|
|The index of deviation in any direction at the moment of reduction||From 0.5 cm to 0.95 cm|
The interpretation of the values for the Atria:
|Right||End-diastolic volume||20-100 ml|
|Index size||The 1.45–2.9 cm/m2|
The interpretation of the values for the evaluation of the valves:
|Normal valve should not be any vegetaci and tumors|
The interpretation of these parameters indicates the amount of sagging of the valve during the closure of its valves. These values give only an ultrasound. Other methods prolapse valve is not diagnosed!
Explanation indicators for pericardium is lack of fluids. The thickness of the wall of the aorta – vessel leaving the heart varies from 2.1 to 4.1 mm.
The doctor should make the conclusion on 2 pages. In part 1 – describes the visual image with the proposed diagnosis. In part 2 of the conclusion prescribes the specification of all the parameters of the human heart. Without the latest research can be considered invalid!
Heart ultrasound is a procedure that should take everyone at least 1 time in my life. Love your flaming engine, and it will serve you throughout life!