How to breathe correctly when gastroscopy (EGD) stomach?
Gastroscopy is widely used to study the state of the stomach, which is especially important for a large spectrum of diseases, from simple gastritis, ending with malignant tumor growth. EGD of the stomach allows to diagnose such diseases and to evaluate the effectiveness of the introduction. Despite the safety of the FGS, such a procedure is often associated with unpleasant sensations. First and foremost, with retching and discomfort, which can reduce the correct breathing, and some other tricks. How to behave when you prepare to study and how to breathe correctly during gastroscopy? The answers to these questions should be known by each person who will EGD.
General description of the procedure
A gastroscopy is a kind of endoscopic method of diagnosis of diseases in which there are special endoscopes, which are long flexible probe with a camera and a light source. Such structure of the device allows the doctor to visually inspect the condition of the walls of the stomach during the study, and conduct a number of auxiliary manipulation: to take a biopsy, to remove polyps etc.
Optimal preparation for EGD improves the efficiency of this method for detecting diseases of the stomach and to reduce the risks of developing side effects from the procedure. Preparation is the following:
- The patient should tune in to the forthcoming. Typically, this includes a mandatory conversation with the doctor who explains the procedure, its necessity and possible risks. The doctor explains how to breathe during insertion of the endoscope and how to behave during and after the procedure. It is believed that psychological preparation of the patient is crucial for the entire endoscopic examination.
- If the patient is experiencing excessive anxiety, then the day before the study can be used a light sedative medications designed to normalize the functioning of the nervous system.
- Within two days before the FGS is to abandon the «heavy» products, capable of long time to linger in the stomach, as well as from damaging the gastric mucosa, as this may lead to misinterpretation is seen endoscopic picture. Such foods include all hot, spicy, with lots of herbs and spices, smoked, etc.
- 4-5 hours before EGD is prohibited to smoke, since nicotine contributes to the formation of large amounts of mucus in the stomach, impeding inspection of the mucosa.
- Every patient must undergo a clinical examination by a doctor and hand over the clinical analysis of blood and urine tests to identify possible diseases of internal organs, preventing the study.
If the patient is adequately adjusted to the examination and complies with all other recommendations, the EGD usually passes quickly and is not accompanied by unpleasant sensations.
Following the recommendations on the diet as well as psychological preparation of the patient for gastroscopy is the most important part of ensuring the informativeness of the forthcoming the procedure of increasing its security.
How to breathe correctly when gastroscopy?
An important question in the preparation and conduct of endoscopic examination, how to breathe properly with EGD. Many patients and doctors forget about the importance of breathing in this process and make recommendations to their patients about this aspect of FGS.
If the patient initiated the procedure in accordance with the above rules, then the ability to breathe correctly can ensure the absence of discomfort during the study, and will contribute to the disappearance of retching and pain.
At the beginning of the procedure, it is important to relax and focus on your breathing, trying to calm down and to shift the focus from external influences on a familiar cycle of inhalation and exhalation. However, there are some tips for proper breathing:
- It is best to breathe through the nose, as this is more natural for a human being.
- Inhalation and exhalation should not be fast, you need to stretch them out, feeling how the air.
- Tune in to what swallow saliva should not be any gulp with inserted endoscope leads to discomfort and can provoke retching.
- It’s important to always keep one’s body position in space and in any case not to move.
The most important point ensure the comfort of the patient during the study – proper breathing during gastroscopy, which allows to significantly reduce the level of discomfort.
If the patient is breathing rapidly through the mouth or moving during the test, it tends to slow down the introduction of the endoscope and can lead to the appearance of unpleasant symptoms and to the development of various complications, until the trauma of the esophagus or stomach and they broke.
Proper preparation for EGD and the ability to breathe correctly is very important for the successful conduct of the endoscopic procedure. Gastroscopy can detect the disease of the stomach in the early stages of their development, whether it is a beginning ulcer of the mucosa or malignancy. In each case, the doctor should be attentive to the conversation with the patient and explain to him the basic rules of optimization of breathing and mental preparation, as these parameters depend strongly on the feelings of the patient from the gastroscopy.