Is it possible to do EGD in the cold, if sore throat, cough?
EGD is an endoscopic examination of the upper alimentary canal. The study was conducted by the use of an endoscope with optical equipment. The procedure has a number of indications and contraindications. Often patients have a question, is it possible to do a gastroscopy, if a sore throat. In this case, it is important cause pain in the throat. So, let’s see why you may get a sore throat?
Causes of pain in the throat
Sore throat occurs under the following conditions:
If the cause of the pain is of infectious-inflammatory nature, the procedure should be postponed. To do EGD can come later, if the diagnosis is not vital. If the patient’s condition is critical (suspected bleeding, perforated ulcer) study is possible, but subject to stricter monitoring of his condition.
What’s dangerous about gastroscopy in the throat? If the cause of pain is infection, then the result of the introduction of the gastroscope it is possible to spread of infection in the lower parts of the pharynx. Moreover, inflamed mucosa is very sensitive to mechanical damage, so the study could exacerbate the situation. Therefore, to answer the question, is it possible to do EGD if a sore throat, definitely not. Allowed research only for health reasons.
EGD cough and runny nose
Is it possible to do EGD in the cold, if not a sore throat, but has a cough? When you cough, especially dry and paroxysmal, to enter the endoscope is problematic. In diseases of a catarrhal nature the upper respiratory tract generally swollen. The introduction of the endoscopic probe may cause spasm of the Airways that lead to the development of respiratory failure acute.
Another problem of diagnosis during a cold, a runny nose.
As to breathe during gastroscopy can only be through the nose, with difficult nasal breathing as a result of the cold performance of the procedure impossible. In this case, diagnosis should be postponed until recovery. If rhinitis occurs in the chronic form, before performing EGD should prepare the nasal cavity. How to do it correctly?
- It is necessary to clean the nasal passages from mucus and crusts. This is recommended to wash the nose with sea salt solution. It can be bought in a pharmacy (Akvamaris, and other means, Anomeric and others) or prepare the solution yourself by diluting marine salt in warm water. If sea salt is not available, use ordinary table salt.
- After washing to remove remnants of the contents of the nasal passages by bismarckiana or use an aspirator.
- Then into the nasal passages should be drip vasoconstrictor drops on the basis of Naphazoline, Oxymetazoline, or Xylometazoline. The drug will cause vasoconstriction and will reduce swelling. In the result of nasal breathing is restored.
- If the swelling of mucous strong, before the study can be administered antihistamine drugs for internal use.
After recovery of nasal breathing you can safely carry out a gastroscopy.
The pain after the diagnosis
After the procedure, even if the throat does not hurt, can cause discomfort or even pain when swallowing. This is due to the fact that the introduction of the gastroscope, no matter how thin and flexible it was, mucosa of pharynx is still injured.
In addition, with the introduction of the probe, each patient develops a gag reflex, which causes strong contraction of the esophagus and throat.
It can also be a cause of pain in the throat after the EGD. In some cases, pain occurs as a result of action of local anesthetic. If the mucosa before the study had at least light signs of inflammation, anesthetic, once in the throat, could cause irritation that led to the emergence of unpleasant feelings.
Other complications of EGD
In addition to pain after EGD can cause other complications:
- Bloating. This is due to the ingestion of a large amount of air during introduction of the endoscope.
- Pain along the esophagus and in the stomach. This complication, usually associated with spasm of smooth muscles.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding caused by damage to the wall of the digestive canal. This complication is rare. However, if you have fever, vomiting the color of coffee grounds and liquid black stools, you should urgently call the ambulance.
Complications and adverse reactions can occur after any diagnostic procedures. Gastroscopy is no exception. In order to minimize the risk of the consequences, should pay attention to the contraindications that the patient has. Also, it is extremely important to correctly prepare the alimentary canal for study.