MRI child under anesthesia: the need of anesthesia
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is by far the most informative and qualitative method for the diagnosis of all organs and systems of the person. It is used to get the results that were unrealistic in the diagnosis by other methods. The pictures who get the procedure are highly accurate. Many pathological conditions could be detected exclusively in this way.
Increasingly, physicians prescribe patients with an MRI to get an unbiased picture of disease, precise planning of the surgical intervention. Method is widely used in Pediatrics. The procedure can be done for children of any age. It is absolutely painless and safe. Throughout the world, children spend an MRI procedure using mask anesthesia.
Before undergoing MRI, it is recommended to observe the following conditions:
- Feed the baby at least 4 hours before the procedure.
- Not to give to drink 2 hours before examination.
- To discuss with the anesthesiologist the list of accepted child medications. It is necessary to exclude the negative influence of the anesthesia drugs.
- If the child wears contact lenses, this should be mentioned to the physician conducting the procedure.
- If a kid’s metal jewelry (earrings, chains, bracelets) they need to be removed.
- Dress your baby in clothes without metal elements.
- Be prepared for the fact that the baby after coming to consciousness would be lethargic and sleepy for a day after the procedure.
- After the procedure the meal possible not earlier than in 2 hours.
The procedure itself takes place on the camera, standing in a separate room. Doctor radiologist correctly put the baby to sleep, give him the anesthesia and go into the next room for the test. If desired, the child’s mother allowed near the machine. It is permitted if she is not pregnant, since radio waves from the running machine may adversely affect the formation of the fetus.
The radiation from the MRI machine slightly to have a negative impact on people in one session. But it can accumulate and under constant exposure to lead to serious disruption of organs and systems of the body. Therefore, for the medical staff there is a separate room, because they are near to the unit daily for hours.
Contraindications for diagnosis
Like any other method of diagnostics of MRI contra-indications. These include:
- The presence of metal implants in the body of the child.
- Ferromagnetic Ilizarov.
- The presence of the body tattoos made with dyes based on titanium compounds.
- When using contrast agent – individual intolerance to its components.
- When using contrast medium — of chronic renal failure.
If the attending physician ordered an MRI, most likely, this was a good reason and ignoring them will not lead to anything good in the future. The sooner you get a qualitative diagnostics, the more successful will be the subsequent treatment.
Thus, we should not succumb to fear and doubt and to refuse the procedure. Already for decades in many countries used this method of diagnosis. Tune in to the positive procedure, and charge the same mood of your baby. Do not be afraid of anesthesia and expect unpleasant consequences. The chance of their occurrence is negligible.