MRI of the foot: thigh, drumstick, what does it indicate?
Modern medicine has a large number of verified survey instruments. One of the most informative methods is considered magnetic resonance imaging – research, allowing to perform a full scan of the organs with the conversion of pulses in a three-dimensional image reflecting the exact structure of the object. MRI of the legs makes for the purpose of examination of the condition of the soft tissues of the thigh, lower leg, damage to nerves, as well as to assess the function of blood vessels of the legs.
MRI of soft tissue allows you to scan the required division without the use of dangerous ionizing radiation, patient comfort conditions and for a short period of time. The value of MRI is that it visualizes the structures that are not visible on a CT scan or x-rays.
- MRI helps to solve the question of the presence of the inflammatory process.
- To determine the presence of lesions of connective tissue, including diffuse.
If necessary, can be assigned to scan one Department of the lower limb, for example, the soft tissues of the thigh or lower leg, in cases when it’s a certain part of the body.
Mr imaging of soft tissues of leg
The Shin is the Department that is difficult to diagnose, so if you need survey used MRI soft tissue with contrast. The photographs reflect the state of the nerves, tissues of the ankle joint, ligaments and cartilage. Using the resulting images can reveal damage to muscles and tendons, and to diagnose inflammatory process in the soft tissues of the femur and tibia.
Magnetic resonance imaging of the tissues of the thigh
Using Mr-tomography of the thigh, you can assess the condition of the hip joint and surrounding soft tissues and nerves. It helps the professionals to gain more information than the use of other methods of research of this Department.
MRI of the soft tissues of the lower extremity allows you to identify cancers even in those cases when they are in the early stages of its development. Magnetic resonance imaging of the foot helps the doctor to monitor the process of restoring the integrity of damaged structures, and to evaluate the results of surgical intervention.
MRI of lower extremities vessels
Often as a result of the impact of adverse factors on my feet is vascular dysfunction of the lower extremities. In order to determine what reasons caused circulatory disorders and to identify their degree, used magnetic resonance imaging vessels of the lower extremities. This study has most likely to identify the smallest vascular anomalies and injuries, and to diagnose a disease, even if they are in the early stages of development.
Using magnetic resonance imaging of blood vessels of the legs can be:
- To visualize the vessel status.
- To identify the pathological lesions and the prevalence of pathological processes.
- To diagnose disorders of blood flow in the soft tissues and joints of the lower extremities.
- To see the three-dimensional image of the vasculature of the lower extremities, which reflects the smallest anatomical structure.
Indications for MRI of lower extremities vessels
Mr-imaging of the vessels of the legs shows the state of the whole vascular network of the limbs, either partially, only one need of the Department. In addition, scanning can be performed with one hand or with both. The choice of method depends on the indication and the presence of symptoms of the alleged disease.
There are the following indications for MRI of the vessels of the lower extremities:
- Numbness in the legs, sore feet, weakness, feeling loss of control over limbs, and a reduction in muscle strength.
- The reduction or complete absence of sensation in some parts of the legs, and changing the state of the skin, for example, pallor or, conversely, redness.
- Chronic vascular disease of the feet, including rheumatic diseases, occlusive disease, or atherosclerotic lesions.
- The presence of venous ulcers in the lower extremities.
- Vascular aneurysm on his feet.
- Deep vein thrombosis.
- Diagnosis of vascular anomalies.
- Detection of tumors, may compress the blood vessels and nerves.
- Detection of benign or malignant tumors of blood vessels – hemangioma, and angiosarcoma.
- Acute venous insufficiency, obstruction of the arteries.
The study of the vasculature of the lower extremities is relevant and informative is a method of magnetic resonance imaging with contrast or angiography. The technique is that the patient immediately before the procedure in the femoral artery injection of contrast medium. Scan with contrast allows to investigate the functional state of arteries and veins, identify the pathological processes and to evaluate the character of blood flow in the vessels of the lower extremities. Using this method, you can analyze the status of peripheral arteries and veins, as well as to determine the state of lymphatic vessels if needed.
There are limitations to the use of magnetic resonance imaging of the vessels of the legs. These include:
- Allergy to the contrast agent. In that case, if the patient allergic history, prior to the procedure are advised to make allergodil.
- Acute inflammatory infectious process.
- Serious condition of the patient.
- Unstable mental condition – the procedure requires the patient’s prolonged immobility of being in a confined space.
- Renal, hepatic or heart failure decompensation.
What happens during MRI procedures?
The scanning procedure of the lower limbs is no different from scanning other parts of the body. If MRI is performed with contrast, the study in the femoral artery contrast medium injected. The patient lies on a special moving the couch in the supine position. To get an accurate result from the patient is required complete immobility, so in most cases the doctor will fit the limb of the surveyed special straps and clamps. The couch goes in the main part of the MRI scanner, where the scanning of the selected departments. On average, the survey takes 40 minutes and may cause slight discomfort due to the stiffness and noise of the apparatus. If necessary, in order to reduce the discomfort the patient before the study offer ear plugs that insert into the ear canal.
After the scan, the doctor takes some time to analyze the obtained images, after which they are passed to the patient. With the issued conclusion, you should contact the doctor who referred to MRI of the lower extremities.