MRI of the kidney: what the survey shows?
As paired organs – kidneys and adrenal glands are located next to and in contact with each other, it is diagnosis of kidney disease soprovojdaetsya visualization of the adrenal glands, and Vice versa.
General indications for screening
MRI of those organs is carried out simultaneously, if necessary, differentiation of benign and malignant neoplasms, which are able to break the isolation of these bodies from each other. Such conditions can arise as a result of migration of cells from one organ to another in infiltrative forms of cancer of the adrenal glands. Thus, MRI of the kidneys and adrenal glands is a comprehensive study that shows the delineation of volumes of affected tissue and allows you to develop the strategy and tactics of treatment.
Besides cancer, Mr imaging of kidneys and adrenal glands helps to identify inflammatory diseases of these organs, the area of damage in trauma and other pathologies. Indications for MRI of these organs are as follows:
- Pain, unknown etiology localized in the lumbar region;
- Differentiation of diagnosis of cancer of the kidneys and adrenal glands;
- Individual intolerance of conducting urography;
- Hypertension, malignant;
- Endocrine pathology;
- Monitoring the effectiveness of therapy.
Separate indications for MRI of the kidneys
- Pain in the back and waist;
- Violation excretory functions of the kidneys;
- Monitoring the effectiveness of treatment of diseases of the kidney and urinary tract (conservative or operative);
- Contraindications to other hardware methods of examination ( ultrasound, x-ray, CT).
Features of the examination of the kidneys
This method is effective in obsledovaniia mass lesions in the kidneys. They differ in the resulting images from hollow formations (cysts). The fluid in the cyst allows the technician to differentiate between bleeding and inflammation in the kidney. MRI also provides precise images of the circulatory system and tissues of the kidneys. All these features provide additional opportunities in the diagnosis of diseases of these organs.
This allows to identify the magnetic resonance imaging of the kidneys
To clarify the diagnosis in cases of suspected tumor, or inflammation, an MRI reveals the following:
- Anatomical features of the organ, its size;
- The boundaries of cortex and medulla;
- Structure of the renal parenchyma;
- The excretory function and concentration;
- The presence of tumors, their structure and characteristics;
- The condition of the circulatory system of the body;
- The condition of the urinary tract.
Features MRI of the adrenal glands
MRI of the kidneys and adrenal glands is carried out with the use of a contrast agent, which is held therein for about 5 minutes. This is the feature of an MRI scan of the adrenal glands. The two bodies were clearly visualized due to intense signal supplied to glands. Very often the tumors of these bodies are found by accident when doing an MRI of the kidneys, which very well shows them at an early stage of the disease. During this period, the disease does not manifest itself. The earlier survey and identified the tumor, the faster is the most appropriate treatment. Procedure MRI, ongoing enhancement, differentiarum benign from malignant, which is also very important in diagnosis. This may be the following neoplasms:
- Benign adenomas. Due to the development of this tumor the patient develops the syndrome Itsenko-Kushinga, lipid disorders and psycho-emotional sphere. A timely survey on contrast-enhanced MRI gives a possibility to choose the optimal method of treatment and keep the patient’s health and life.
- Aldosterone that lead to kidney failure, high blood pressure;
- Corticosterone producing excess estrogen. Which leads to the feminization;
- Andosterone, producing in excess androgens;
- Neuroblastoma, a malignant tumor of the adrenal glands, reveal that at the initial stage in the course of a comprehensive survey.
All neoplasms of the adrenal gland are treated by the operative method. After the surgery, control MRI.
The advantages of MRI of kidneys, adrenals and urinary tract in diagnostics
- Simple and minimal preparation for the procedure;
- Quick research;
- Does not apply ionizing radiation;
- Gives are distinguishable education in the early stages of development. The method is effective in obtaining clear images of both tissues and blood vessels;
- Allows you to specify the images of the organs.
Preparing for MRI
Emergency MRI of the kidneys is carried out without preparation. The planning procedure provides for the implementation of certain requirements. On the eve of the study would not eat foods that cause flatulence. The patient should be in the linen made of natural fabrics. Inside the patient’s body and on its surface must not be metal and metallic objects. They can interfere with the operation of the apparatus, and distort research results.
The MRI of kidneys, adrenals and urinary tract
In this study, we used various modes to differentiate the cortex and medulla and to visualize the renal pelvis. The increase in parameters and deformation contours of any of the structures suggests the nature of the lesion and its appearance. The use of contrast agents allows to increase the possibilities of research and, consequently, to diagnose with extreme accuracy. Exploring the excretory function of the kidneys, the patient is administered intravenous diuretic. The procedure is performed twice before drug administration and after administration. In inflammatory processes in the kidney is characterized by low signal intensity, that allows to judge about the localization of inflammation and prevalence.
Contraindications for MRI of kidneys, adrenals and urinary tract, and for all other bodies, pacemaker, metal prostheses, embedded electronic devices. Do not recommend the procedure to women in the first trimester of pregnancy and during lactation.