MRI of the pancreas: indications
Especially the location and the small size of the pancreas is considerably difficult to diagnose different diseases of this organ, it is particularly difficult to detect cancer. MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the pancreas and liver can accurately determine not only the presence of inflammatory processes, tumors, and destructive lesions, and their prevalence. The accuracy of the study is much higher than CT (computed tomography).
The advantages of the study
The main advantages include:
If there is evidence to conduct research to guide the therapist or the endocrinologist, but you can get an MRI on their own, especially if there is suspicion for the development of various diseases, including such serious pathology like cancer (CT in this case is not always informative).
Magnetic resonance imaging of the pancreas and liver is assigned when:
- chronic digestive disorders;
- the presence of frequent nausea and retching;
- constantly slightly elevated body temperature;
- the presence of a dull, aching pain in the right upper quadrant or girdling pain in the stomach and liver.
The symptoms may indicate diseases such as:
- acute or chronic pancreatitis;
- mechanical or chemical trauma;
- stones in the ducts;
- benign tumors;
- cancer of the pancreas.
The study can also be assigned to control therapy, in preparation for a surgical intervention or after the vote (MRI in this case shows the volume of conducted interference condition and on after).
Contraindications to the procedure
- the presence of a pacemaker, vascular clips or insulin pumps, MRI may adversely affect these devices, and because they produce a magnetic field the MRI results can be distorted;
- decompensated cardiovascular disease;
- mental illness;
- the first trimester of pregnancy;
- tattoo made by paint with metallic components;
- the presence of middle ear implants and apparatus Ilizarova.
Important! Dental implants, titanium structure and the implants are not a contraindication to the study.
Preparation and influence on the result
To get the most accurate result before carrying out the manipulations necessary for the day before the test:
- excluded from the diet of fatty, fried, smoked and savoury meals;
- do not drink alcoholic beverages;
- not to drink sweet carbonated drinks, strong tea (black and green) and coffee.
The features of the
In contrast to CT the whole procedure takes about an hour at that time included the intravenous injection of a contrast agent for magnetic resonance imaging of pancreas with contrast. In contrast, the study improved visualization of structural changes of the organ.
Immediately before the procedure, you must remove all metal objects and jewelry. In the study of the pancreas, the patient takes a supine position, and complete immobility increases the accuracy of the image, and what he or rather the more details shows all the changes in the body (including cancer and its various departments).
Despite the high reliability of the method in cases of suspected cancer, are appointed and other studies (one of them may include a CT scan) that show changes in the structure and size of the body.