Patient preparation for EGD: step-by-step algorithm
One of the most effective methods of diagnostics of the digestive system is fibrogastroduodenoscopy EGD, or. It allows you to determine in what Department of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum are abnormal, to assess the type and degree of damage. EGD allows you to see even the smallest changes in the mucosa and the walls of the organs.
Holding gastrofibroscopy need at pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. During this procedure, you can:
Diagnostic and treatment procedure is prescribed only by the physician with the following complaints:
- abdominal pain, which is difficult to determine the cause;
- nausea of unclear etiology;
- weight loss;
- gallbladder disease, the liver;
- complaints of difficulty with swallowing;
- heartburn ongoing for a long time;
- violations of appetite;
- suspected foreign body in the stomach, esophagus or duodenum.
There are a number of situations where EGD is not assigned. The procedure is not carried out at a bronchial asthma, hypertensive crisis, myocardial infarction. It is also forbidden to perform a manipulation for mental health, in poor blood clotting. It is impossible to diagnose the patients in a serious condition.
Preparation for the examination
Despite the small invasiveness of EGD, patient preparation for procedure are still needed. The doctor helps the patient psychologically to be adjusted on manipulation and explains what you can and cannot do on the eve of the examination.
Preparation for EGD begins three days prior to the date of its implementation with the aim of eliminating all fat, smoked, carbonated food and products that would increase the level of acidity.
- The last meal should be twelve hours before the diagnosis. While in a menu must contain only digestible foods. This can be porridge, boiled chicken.
- If the patient smokes, a minimum of three hours prior to the procedure he needs to give up cigarettes.
- Before the procedure it is better not to take any medicines. This is necessary in case you have to use any medications during the execution of EGD. In addition, the stomach should not remain any pigments.
- Also the training algorithm involves the collection of medical history by a physician. Important for physician information is a message about what medications are allergic, which chronic and acute pathology are available.
For the procedure, the patient should bring a diaper, which is underlain by, a handkerchief, a map of the patient. If the diagnosis was done before, its results will also need to provide the doctor. On his feet the patient is required to wear overshoes or Shoe replacement shoes.
If you come unprepared to the procedure, the results will be uninformative and your doctor may prescribe it again, and it’s not very nice.
The procedure is not very pleasant. During this operation the patients experience discomfort, light pain, in the beginning of the input probe triggered a gag reflex. To minimize discomfort, patients the throat is treated with anesthetic, often lidocaine, but if you have allergies, there could be other types of anesthesia.
- The procedure is performed lying on your side. First, the patient lies on his back, and then the doctor says on what side needs to be rotated (to the left).
- The patient holds the mouthpiece with your teeth, using it will be to introduce the probe.
- During the administration, periodically the doctor will warn of the need to take a drink. In these moments, he will promote the device inside of the bodies.
- At the time of promotion to reduce the gag reflex, it is necessary to breathe calmly, deeply.
- During the advancement of the probe, the doctor will examine the condition of the esophagus, then stomach, and after examining the duodenum. If necessary, during FGS or EGD will be pictures taken, or will be filming pathological areas.
If the time of diagnosis, the physician can see bleeding areas, it will execute the procedure to stop the bleeding. If the screen displays a suspicious lesion with a polyp or tumor is found, the doctor will immediately take tissue for biopsy, and remove polyps. According to testimony with the help of EGD can be injected the drug directly to pathological focus.
Normal diagnosis lasts no more than ten minutes. If you need to conduct any additional therapeutic or diagnostic procedure, the duration of the manipulation is increased and may last for about half an hour. After the procedure, patients feel discomfort in the mouth. During the day this feeling passes.
What else should you know?
If the patient is properly prepared for fibrogastroduodenoscopy, it will happen quickly and will take some time. In other cases, even a simple inspection can take up to half an hour. Under local anesthesia after the diagnosis, patients can go home. However, some EGD and FGS performed under General anesthesia. After it the patient is transferred to the ward, and as soon as the anesthetic action of the drug is over completely, the individual is released.
EGD or other diagnostic method?
Many patients wonder whether to replace fibrogastroduodenoscopy other method of inspection? Instead of this procedure, patients may be prescribed an x-ray of the stomach. However, it will not show the state of the mucous membranes, does not detect erosions. Without research it is impossible to EGD biopsy, to remove polyps. Besides, if you properly prepare for the examination, it takes only seven minutes.
That is determined by fibrogastroduodenoscopy?
The diagnostic process allows to identify a variety of pathologies. It can be:
- Peptic ulcer disease.
- Ariznoa dilatation of the esophagus.
- The esophagitis.
- Violation of gastric motility and the degree of evacuation of its contents.
At run time, can be diagnosed bleeding, reflux, and other pathologies.
In a few cases, even after careful preparation, complications can occur. Most often, this damage the walls of the esophagus or stomach, infection. When you narrow the esophagus and narrowing of the duodenal ulcer may have bleeding from the vessels of the esophagus.
If after the procedure in a few days will rise the body temperature, or there are severe pain, vomiting, change the chair, it’s a reason to urgently see a doctor.