Pelvic ultrasound in men: indications, preparation
Pelvic ultrasound in men, is a sought – after method of investigation. This is due to the availability, diagnostic information, and the harmlessness of this method of examination.
The main thing is that by ultrasound scan identifies early signs of pathological changes in the pelvis that allows to differentiate them with other urological diseases. So time to appoint the necessary treatment and as a consequence prevent the development of severe complications.
Indications for sonography of pelvis
It should be said that ultrasonic scanning of the organs of small pelvis in males are assigned in the following cases:
- when changes are made in the process of urination (stagnation of urine due to incomplete emptying of the bladder, pain during urination, its difficulty, etc.);
- in the presence of the painful syndrome in the lower abdomen;
- changes in the urine and semen (streaks of blood);
- traumatic injuries (if there is a suspicion of damage to the bladder, injury of the vesicles [seminal vesicles], prostate);
- suspicion of inflammatory and neoplastic changes in the pelvic organs;
- diagnosis of congenital abnormalities (anomalies of the urinary organs);
- suspected erectile dysfunction;
- the search for the causes of infertility;
- verification of changes in the pelvic organs, detected with other diagnostic tests (palpation, laboratory tests, etc.);
- before surgery (pelvic organs) and in the postoperative period.
The bodies, which are investigated with ultrasound
Echography of pelvic organs in men shows the condition of the bladder and distal ureter, vesicle and prostate, soft tissue and blood vessels (veins and arteries), regional lymph nodes located in the pelvic cavity.
The types of echography of the pelvic organs
It should be said that before the study of the pelvic organs was performed using a transabdominal transducer (scanning is done through the wall of the stomach). In real time transabdominal access conduct study and evaluation of the bladder and the distal (end) of the divisions of the ureter, lymph nodes, blood vessels located in the pelvis.
Given the anatomical remoteness of the prostate and vesicles from the abdominal wall, the cancer research carried out with the use of transrectal access. This uses a transrectal probe.
It may be noted that during TRUS achieved excellent visualization of the prostate, the urethra (particularly the prostatic part), paraphrastically vesicles and surrounding tissues.
Transrectal ultrasound examination requires careful preparation of the patient for examination!
The fact that modern ultrasound machines have the ability to assess blood flow in the body and by identified pathological formations (color Doppler scan). While it is possible to study the characteristics of blood flow, differentiated by angiographic signs of space-occupying lesions (malignant tumor having a vascular network characterized by the presence of multiple small, tortuous vessels). Usually benign or not krovosnabjaemah or have poor blood circulation.
Preparation for transabdominal ultrasound of the pelvic organs
It should be noted that a prerequisite of this procedure is completed the bladder. So you need to drink for an hour and a half before the planned procedure about a liter of fluids (preferably plain water without gas). An ultrasound scan performed when the patient has the urge to urinate (this is evidence of the tight filling of the bladder).
Features of the preparation examined by transrectal examination of the pelvis
In this method, ultrasound is not necessary tight to fill the bladder. The main condition is the cleansing of the intestine from feces. This is a cleansing enema for two or three hours prior to the proposed diagnostic procedure.
Don’t forget that TRUS is contraindicated in the following situations:
- fissures of the rectum;
- the presence of a tumor in the rectum, narrowing of the lumen of the organ.
So, ultrasound of pelvic organs in men shows changes of the urinary and reproductive systems manifesting inflammatory, neoplastic and traumatic processes. In most cases, this study gives complete information on pathology, which allows to diagnose the disease on time and treat you. The use of color Doppler scanning supplements the usual study and allows to verify the nature of the tumor.