Pituitary MRI with contrast
Pituitary MRI with contrast gives you the opportunity to explore the smallest morphological features of this part of the brain, which also is an organ of internal secretion. This study is essential to detect tumors at early stages of formation when treatment is most effective.
The method of procedure
The procedure contrast magnetic resonance imaging of the pituitary gland becomes possible only after the patient gave his written consent. It is also important to consider contraindications – only if they do not, it is possible to apply this diagnostic study.
After the preparatory stage it is necessary to introduce the contrast agent. For this vein set catheter, which manually or by means of a special device is introduced contrast. It is very important to ask the patient if he has allergic reactions to components of this drug. The injected substance in the highest concentration is supplied to those tissues that are most strongly krovosnabjaemah. In comparison with healthy is tissue, the tumor. When scanning very well identified the accumulation area, on what basis and is diagnosed with cancer.
The next step in conducting magnetic resonance imaging is laying the patient on a special device where it is about 50-60 minutes. During this time, performed a series of tomographic images, which are issued to the computer monitor. Subsequently they are processed in automatic mode.
Important! Before your scan you should remove all metal jewelry and items with yourself. There must also be beyond the hardware of the mobile phone, as it can lead to a poor image and interference in the MRI scanner.
Indications for MRI
Pituitary MRI with contrast demonstrated in the following clinical cases:
- Suspected cancer (regardless of the degree of malignancy or purity).
- Syndrome or disease Itsenko-Kushinga (cushingoid).
- Traumatic brain injury (contusion, concussion).
- Infectious diseases of the brain (meningitis, encephalitis).
The main symptoms when you should think about passing an MRI with contrast of the pituitary gland are:
- Overweight, which is not reduced even on the background diet.
- Hypertension (II-III degree).
- Elevated levels of glucose in the blood (more than 6.6 mmol/l).
- Visual disturbances (double vision, glare, loss of field, fast and unmotivated eye fatigue).
- Frequent changes in vnutricerepnogo pressure, which are manifested severe headaches.
- Convulsions of any origin to clarify their nature.
- Stretch marks on the skin.
The diagnostic information MRI
An MRI with contrast of the pituitary gland gives the possibility to obtain the following information:
- To study the structure of the body.
- To identify the boundaries of the pathological process.
- To assess involvement of adjacent tissues.
- To assess the functional reserve of the pituitary gland.
All these data are necessary to establish an accurate diagnosis, which will depend on the future treatment plan of the patient. A significant advantage of this study is the ability to diagnose almost any pathological process in the preclinical stage or with minimal changes in the structure of the pituitary gland.
Despite the fact that contrast MRI is a valuable diagnostic method, to carry it in all cases is impossible, as there are some contraindications. They presented the following conditions and diseases:
- Metal implants that are implanted in the human body.
- A built-in pacemaker.
- Fear of being in an enclosed space.
- Failure of kidney function in the terminal stage.
- Allergic reaction that develops on the input contrast.
- Pregnancy (an MRI that is performed without contrast enhancement during pregnancy is permitted, as bears no radiation exposure unlike x-ray examination).
Thus, MRI of the pituitary gland with the use of contrast provides the opportunity to examine the smallest deviations of the normal structure of the gland. Non-invasive studies and high accuracy make it indispensable for early diagnosis of pituitary tumors.