Preparation for abdominal CT
CT of the abdomen is prescribed for suspected inflammatory or neoplastic processes in the digestive tract, urinary system, retroperitoneal space and small pelvis. Depending on the purpose of the study, computed tomography may be performed with contrast enhancement.
To study was as informative as possible, it is necessary to properly prepare. Preparation for CT this area includes special diet and in some cases medication. It is not always possible to ask your doctor what you can eat and how many days need to sit on a special diet, so there are universal rules that apply in most cases.
To reduce flatulence in the gut and make it less intense motor skills, but at the same time freeing him from the stool, diet prior to conducting the computer tomography of the abdomen you need to follow in 2-3 days. For those who like to follow the rules of healthy nutrition, training takes place almost imperceptibly.
Excluded from the diet foods that affect intestinal motility:
- enhancing gas production: peas, beans, fresh bread and pastries, raw fruits and vegetables, fresh and pickled cabbage, nuts, prunes;
- reduces peristalsis and contributes to constipation: strong tea and coffee, chocolate, milk, sweets, pasta and pastries.
2-3 days before performing a CT of the abdomen you can eat as much as you like:
- meals from lean meats and poultry (chicken, beef, Turkey): steam cutlets, meatballs, puddings, and casseroles;
- vegetables, steamed or boiled, liquid vegetable soups;
- fresh cheese;
- fish boiled or steamed, in the form of cutlets, meatballs and other dishes;
- dried white bread or cookies app.
A computer tomography doing fasting, that is after the last meal should take at least 6-8 hours, so:
- if the test is scheduled for morning, you need to eat a light dinner and stop eating until morning;
- if CT of the abdomen should pass after dinner, in the morning can be a bit to eat, but not later than 6 hours before the scheduled time.
What contrast is and how it is entered when a CT scan of the abdomen?
As a contrast in the study of abdominal organs use iodine-containing substances and Urografin omnipak. If you have an existing Allergy to iodine drugs are not used or prescribed with caution.
Contrast CT of the abdominal cavity is administered in one of three ways:
- oral – in this case, the patient is preparing to survey yourself drinking a solution of contrast medium at the right time;
- rectal enema is used in the study of the distal bowel, is a nurse before the start of the study;
- intravenous contrast is injected into the case, if you need to visualize the abdominal vessels.
Features of training with the introduction of contrast
Intravenous contrast agent is carried out strictly on an empty stomach. If you plan rectal contrast before you need to drink a laxative or do a cleansing enema.
You should consult with your doctor about the need and method of administration of contrast agent if you plan oral contrast. A common scheme may vary depending on the objectives of the study.
If the recommended oral route of administration of contrast, the patient is required before the study purchase pharmacy contrast agent for medical prescription to prepare a solution in accordance with its recommendations. A model drug, which may be specified in the regulations may be changed depending on the purpose of the study and the characteristics of the patient. Typically, pharmaceutical solution diluted in 1 – 1,5 l of boiled water and take fractionally in 3 or 4 doses during the day before the study.
Do I need to take any medications?
The question of the necessity of taking medications to prepare for imaging should be discussed with your doctor. Assign them to afford their own should not, it may distort the picture of the disease and diagnosis become less informative.
Usually when preparing for a CT appointed:
- Chelators: activated charcoal or white charcoal, smectite, enterosgel administered 1-2 days before the study. They help to reduce intestinal gas production. Taking sorbents, you need to drink plenty of fluids, otherwise it may develop constipation;
- Laxative (Fortrans) take the day before the study according to the scheme in the instructions to clean the intestines;
- Antispasmodics administered immediately prior to scanning in those cases where increased motility of the intestine – the part of the clinical picture of the disease or a consequence of pronounced pain syndrome.