Preparations for CT (computed tomography) of the kidneys
One of the most informative methods of x-ray examination is computed tomography. At the present time it is quite common, and is used to obtain three-dimensional and layered images of various organs. Later in the article, you will learn about the indications for computer tomography of the kidneys and the necessary preliminary preparation.
This procedure is carried out with the purpose of revealing of pathological conditions of the kidneys. CT provides the opportunity to get some pictures for better study. Imaging can be performed with the use of a contrast agent and without it.
Indications and contraindications to
CT scan of the kidneys is mainly prescribed in order to diagnose:
- The presence of tumor formation and metastasis.
- The presence of salts, stones or crystals in the urinary tract and kidneys.
- The various manifestations of cystic.
- Abscesses and other pathologies of kidneys of an infectious nature.
- All kinds of injuries – ruptures of the parenchyma of the kidney, ruptures of the fibrous cap, the damage of renal vessels.
- Congenital anomalies – horseshoe kidney, ectopia, agenesis of the kidney.
CT scan is performed to determine the size of the kidneys, the differentiation of various tumors in the kidneys determine the state of the kidney bed after surgical interventions, to identify sites for biopsy of the kidney tissue.
CT is a completely safe procedure, but in some cases, to obtain a clearer picture of the disease recommended the introduction of a contrast agent in this context can be observed:
- The development of various allergic manifestations (rash, swelling of the lips), in such situations, it is recommended to use antihistamines – tavegil, klaridol, lomilan.
- Feeling a metallic taste in the mouth, a feeling of warmth in the injection site of the contrast.
- Renal failure is very rare, but possible complication when using contrast enhancement. If the patient suffers diabetes, you should notify your health care specialist as combination of medications with contrast can provoke kidney failure.
- In rare cases may lower blood pressure, or shortness of breath.
Remember! During pregnancy, routine CT is not performed. This is important to avoid the harmful effects on the fetus. In very rare cases during pregnancy, imaging is carried out for medical reasons.
The first trimester of pregnancy is very important for the fetus since there is a bookmark all organs and systems. In such a situation, the specialist will be asked to perform alternative diagnosis: magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound.
Conditions CT with contrast
In order for CT scan of the kidneys using contrast gave informative results should be:
- Notify technician of the radiologist about the presence of allergic reactions to anything, especially to substances containing iodine.
- When taking any drugs you must consult with your doctor on the subject of suspending some of them. Therefore, the admission of less important drugs recommended to gradually cancel 10 days prior to CT of the kidneys.
- For 3-3,5 hours before the procedure you cannot eat.
CT without the use of contrasting substances of a special preparation is not required.
Preparation for the procedure
First of all I want to say that before entering the CT room should be comfortable to wear. This is important so as to determine the condition of the kidneys to remove clothes.
In order to avoid distortion of research results at the stage of preparation it is necessary to remove pins, studs, glasses and other items containing metal, dentures.
To prepare for a CT scan of the kidneys, especially with use of contrast, are not recommended eating for 6-8 hours and is strictly prohibited for 3-3,5 hours before the procedure. This is because with a full stomach, an injection of contrast may cause vomiting or nausea.
Conducting this study with the contrast implies its intravenous administration. The presence of metal parts the body is a direct contraindication to the performance, as the results will be distorted.
Essential before introduction of the contrast is to conduct a CT scan of the kidneys without it, with obligatory complete fixation of the body. During the procedure, the specialist is constantly in contact with the patient and monitored his condition.
In the presence of claustrophobia or constant pain before CT scan, the patient is administered a sedative or painkillers. If imaging is carried out to the child next to him can be parents. This will allow you to diagnose more quickly and without distortion of the results.