Renal ultrasound during pregnancy: is it possible?
Pregnancy is a big burden on the female body, because it was during this period exacerbated the existing chronic diseases. On the kidneys women who bears a child, have a huge burden — they work for the mother and the child, removing waste products, both of them.
Why is it important to examine the kidneys and bladder during pregnancy?
In the period of gestation, a woman’s body is poorly protected from infection. Immune system reduces its protective properties for maintenance of pregnancy, sphincter muscles of the bladder relax, because of this infection penetrates easily by ascending pathways to the kidney. Growing uterus perelavlivaet bladder, which can evolve stagnation of urine – an ideal environment for bacterial growth.
In preparation for the examination
Ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder does not require any complex training. A few days before the study should be excluded from the consumption of foods that increase flatulence. These include beans, fresh cabbage, fruits, vegetables, milk and dairy products, fizzy juices. In that case, if a woman suffers from flatulence, you can take carminative drugs.
Ultrasound of the kidneys done on filled bladder, so a half hour before the test to prepare is recommended to drink 2 cups of fluid, water.
How goes the research?
Ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder in most cases, do side-lying or back. In cases where the doctor suspects nephroptosis, in another way- omission of the kidneys, the examination is held in the standing position. In the study, it is important to maintain immobility.
When conducting the examination, the doctor draws attention to the many factors is the anatomical structure, the size of the kidneys, their localization, mobility relative to surrounding tissues, the presence of foreign formations in a body organ, as the outer shell of the bladder.
List normal values
- Localization of the kidneys — normally, they are located behind peritoneum on either side of the spine, at the level of 1-2 vertebrae in the lumbar or 12th thoracic.
- The mobility of the body, the normal limited, only possible vertical movement.
- Dimensions — length, renal sonography is an average of about 11 cm, thickness 4 – 5 cm, width 5 – 6 cm This is a very important parameter that can indicate the presence of various diseases. For example, the increase in size can be observed in the development of inflammatory processes or pathological lesions, reducing the size indicates the presence of chronic disease.
- The condition of the renal pelvis – pelvis normal empty, the presence of stones or sand about the disease.
- The thickness of renal parenchyma — an average of 1.5 – 2 cm, normal flat structure.The increase in thickness is observed in inflammatory processes, reducing the parameter characteristic degenerative processes.
- The capsule body is clearly defined on the apparatus, has a smooth edge.
- Bladder – symmetrical shape, with crisp smooth edges. The presence of asymmetry may indicate the development of tumor masses.
Using renal ultrasound together with ultrasound of the bladder can reveal many diseases:
- Cystic masses.
- The expansion of the renal pelvis – hydronephrosis.
- Narrowing of the urinary tract.
- Structural abnormalities of the kidneys.
Most doctors do not put the exact diagnosis on the basis of one ultrasound. This method is insufficient because it shows only a violation of the structure of the organ.
Is it safe ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder in pregnancy?
The woman carrying a wanted child, always wary the direction of additional examination methods, and ultrasound is no exception. In modern medicine there has been research about the possible negative impact of ultrasound waves on fetal development, but years of practice has not detected cases of negative influence of ultrasound on pregnancy. The woman must convince the fact that the presence of undiagnosed diseases of urinary system represent a far greater danger than ultrasound examination. You cannot ignore the direction of your gynecologist for further examination, you can skip the beginning of the disease, and this will lead to serious complications during pregnancy.