That shows a chest x-ray?
X-ray examination of lung structure allows you to see the anatomical structure and of other organs of the chest, including lung tissue, pleura, ribs, aorta, shadow heart bags, shoulder joints.
All of the above patterns may show an x-ray due to the fact that they all have different density. And as you know, different density structures, different absorb x-rays. The structure of the lungs is air, so in order more specifically to describe radiographic picture was created such concepts as «enlightenment» and «the shadow.»
Pockets of enlightenment say that in this area the increased airiness, and the shadow indicates the presence of a tighter focus. Normal pathologically unchanged chest x-ray will be characterized in this way:
- Light is enlightenment.
- Heart & bones is the shadow.
Diagnosis of any disease of the pulmonary structure will depend on what amount of shadow and enlightenment on the lung tissue, and how they interconnect.
Algorithm description x-ray picture
Factors which is diagnosed a chest x-ray:
- The image of the heart bag and the presence of shadows.
- Comparison of lung structure on both sides, the symmetry of the figure the root of the lung.
- For cardiac and pulmonary structures x-rayed the vertebrae, which can determine the presence of spinal pathology.
The elements that can set the disease:
- The presence of calcified dark spots (foci of calcium deposits) — is a clear characteristic of tuberculosis, especially if a similar phenomenon is recorded in the upper lobe of the right lung.
- Multiple lesions — the x-rays in the presence of multiple tumours, local — the presence of pneumonia.
- A large number of enlightenment can show x-rays in the presence of emphysema.
- Oblique shading in the pleural cavity indicates the presence of inflammation of the pleura.
- Enlarged shadow of the heart suggests that developing heart failure or cardiomyopathy.
- Clear dark border along the contour of the cardiac muscle can be seen in acute pericarditis.
The most frequent reason for which is assigned to the chest x-ray is to exclude pneumonia.
But using a chest x-ray can also be seen other diseases such as:
- Acute or chronic bronchitis.
If the patient is a heavy smoker, a chest x-ray can show the strengthening and deformation of lung pattern, as well as the excessive accumulation of calcium in the roots of the lungs. All radiological signs of smokers are indirect signs of disease, but do not forget that on circumstantial evidence the diagnosis may not be delivered. Therefore, in the case of indirect signs is assigned to complete clinical diagnosis of the organism, and only after that can be diagnosed.
Indications for diagnostic procedures
A chest x-ray can be prescribed only after other diagnostic procedures, to get the most out of this method of diagnosis, due to the fact that it is radiation and can cause harm to the body.
To describe a chest x-ray, experts have in their Arsenal a huge number of terms that are incomprehensible to the ordinary person. Therefore, in order to deliver high quality diagnosis, it is recommended to contact the experts. And all the doctors can say that without medical education it is advisable not to attempt to decipher the x-ray. Still, an appointment to the doctor and long queues are pushing some patients to self-decryption of x-rays.
Description of the most common pathologies, which are diagnosed by x-ray
For people who still want to understand x-ray picture, we will describe short characteristic of pathological phenomena on the x-rays that make up the syndromes of the disease:
- The blackout, which has clear boundaries, – it can show x-rays during development of lung cancer or in the presence of a foreign body in the lung tissue.
- The blackout, which has no clear boundaries, with one or two sides – it can show x-rays in the presence of pneumonia or fungal diseases of the lungs.
- Darkening the rounded shape more than one centimeter can be seen when the hydatid disease and carcinoma of the lung.
- Multiple focal dimmable rounded up to one centimeter – can be seen during the development of TB, sarcoidosis or silicosis of the lungs.
- Multiple patchy darkening of more than one centimeter occur during the development of pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Dimmable round shape, which have a clear, dark border, but more transparent inside, you can see the formation of cysts in the lungs.
- Pockets of enlightenment can be seen during the when you develop increased airiness of the lungs — this occurs in diseases such as pneumothorax, emphysema and atelectasis of lung tissue.
The above pathology can be seen on radiographic images, but they do not give an absolute guarantee about the presence of a pathologic process, because there are diseases in which combined some of these manifestations and talking about a completely different disease.
So still better to decipher x-rays and diagnosis by specialists.
The radiologist to describe light uses the main characteristics, namely:
Also, in order to put this or that diagnosis, it is necessary to assess the blood tests, temperature readings, and monitor the body’s response to the administration of antibacterial therapy and other medications.
In conclusion, I would like to note that some patients during the onset of a cold or a slight rise in temperature tend to perform a chest x-ray. But remember that the actual harm of x-ray radiation in this case exceeds practical use.
So first of all, you must still contact the physician to ensure that he appointed the less dangerous clinical research. Even if the specialist suspects the presence of pneumonia, he will initially prescribe antibiotic therapy, and only if it does not give any results, will be assigned to performing x-ray examination.
This approach allows us to protect people from radiation damage, and is considered the best scheme in the diagnosis and diagnosis.