The FCC (fibrocolonoscopy): preparation, performance, decryption
Diseases of the large intestine are often found among the population. However, their range extends from completely harmless condition, for example, single polyps, and neoplastic lesions of the colon with poor prognosis. In this regard, especially relevant is the conduct of periodic surveys, which often use the FCC’s intestines. The FCC is fibrocolonoscopy, endoscopic method of research based on the study of the large intestine using a special probe with the established light source and a video camera. As with any diagnostic procedure, colonofibroscopy has certain indications and contraindications to their conduct.
The FCC is one of the most common types of endoscopic analysis of gastrointestinal tract.
Description of the procedure
The main goal of the FCC procedure – visual inspection condition of the mucous membrane of the rectum, and the various divisions of the colon. It uses a special instrument called fibrocolonoscope. Besides the possibility of visual inspection of the condition of the intestine, this method allows to take a biopsy of part of the stacks of the colon for subsequent morphological examination and accurate diagnosis. And also it allows you to perform a number of simple surgical procedures: cauterization of the bleeding vessel, removal of a polyp, etc. In this regard, fibrocolonoscopy and found wide acceptance in clinical practice as a method of diagnosis of pathological conditions in the intestines and a method for the treatment of some of them.
What is the difference fibrocolonoscope from standard colonoscopy? In the latter case, use of a conventional rubber tube, a sufficient large diameter and low flexibility.
In the case of the FCC, the handset is small in size and easy to bend, which allows to reduce significantly the discomfort of the patient.
There are a number of fiberscopes, which differ from one another along the length of the probe that is necessary in the study of the ultimate divisions of the intestine (the shorter probe) or its initial part (longer probe). It is important to note that the procedure is performed under anesthesia, and without the use of any means of local or General anesthesia. When the flexible probe is inserted through the anus into the intestine of the patient and is conducted into, allowing you to assess the condition of all its parts.
Allowing you to explore the FCC?
- To assess the condition of the large intestine, in particular, its inner shell and to reveal inflammatory or other pathological processes.
- To estimate the diameter of the intestine on its expansion in cicatricial changes.
- An indispensable method for the diagnosis of small changes in the mucous membrane – polyps, an early stage of growth of tumors, ulcers and inflammatory lesions, etc.
- Identify the source of internal bleeding and it stop.
- Evaluation of the anatomical features of the structure of the body: pockets, bends, etc.
However, before using this method, you should consult a physician to assess the current indications and contraindications.
Indications for research
For the survey, there is a certain number of indications in which the patient shows fibrocolonoscope.
- Suspected internal intestinal bleeding or obvious clinical symptoms.
- The appearance of abnormal discharge from the anus – mucous, pus, blood, etc.
- The detection of x-ray examination of foreign objects in the lumen of the colon.
- Identification of tumor in the body wall, which requires a biopsy and a careful examination of the place of its localization.
- The presence in patient’s family cases of colon cancer (may carry hereditary).
- Suspected Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis. Carrying out morphological research for their differential diagnosis.
- Any other lesion of the intestinal mucosa.
What is a biopsy? This procedure takes a small section of the mucous membrane of the large intestine in the conduct of the FCC.
In addition to these, there are indications and contraindications, under which the FCC do not.
- Acute stage of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, in connection with the risk of perforation of the bowel wall and the development of peritonitis.
- Any acute infectious disease or exacerbation of chronic process.
- Any decompensation of somatic diseases (diseases of the cardiovascular system, respiratory, urinary, etc.).
- Peritonitis, diverticulitis, intestinal perforation and hernia, are also contraindications for the FCC.
In case of identification the patient has contraindications to the procedure are similar – ultrasonic examination, radiographic examination methods, retromantique, etc. it is Important to note that in each case the decision procedure remains with the attending physician, are able to objectively evaluate the available clinical information about the patient.
How to prepare for fibrocolonoscopy?
In order that the procedure was completed efficiently and safely, you must follow certain rules of preparation for the FCC. More info can be found by a doctor in a medical facility. There are two main recommendations for the study: certain diets and cleansing the bowel.
For tests it is necessary that the intestines were empty, not only from food but also from gases. In this regard, it is important to change your diet for 2-3 days prior to the date of the FCC. You must understand that dieting does not imply renunciation of food and fasting, and requires a more rational approach to it.
Of diet to remove all foods from fruits and vegetables, even if the latter are fresh. In addition, eliminate different types of greens, legumes, nuts, and berries. Need to give up fatty foods, smoked or cooked sausages, fish, pasta and cereals. It is recommended not to drink coffee, sodas and dairy products, as they affect the intestinal motility and can increase gas in it. All these foods are digested very long time, which can lead to incomplete emptying of the bowel before the examination.
You can eat the following products:
- Broths diet of meats.
- Wheat bread.
- Brewed with a few meat, it is best if it will be chicken or lean beef.
It is important not to overeat and not to eat at night. The last meal should be 24 hours before the procedure. In these days you can drink plain water or weak tea.
Cleaning the colon
Cleaning the colon is a necessary procedure before the FCC to get rid of the remnants of undigested food and gases. In this procedure can be performed in two ways. One of them is the usual enema, which is held twice (the day before the procedure and immediately before the study). It is not recommended to use any decoction of herbs, it is best to fit the usual enema warm water. The procedure is repeated until then, until discharge water is clear.
In addition to the enemas you can use medications. In particular, this method is indicated for patients with changes in the anus (fissure, hemorrhoids, etc.). One of the most common means – Fortas, representing a powder which must be diluted in water shortly before the procedure. May use other drugs that speed up the colon cleanse. Recently this method is used most often.
Despite the wide dissemination of the FCC, people continue to ask the question, what is it? It is an endoscopic method of research, allowing to evaluate the condition and functioning of the large intestine and to carry out some simple manipulations, such as biopsy or removal of polyp. Done correctly, the method of fibrocolonoscopy safely allows for the patient to carry out such procedure without any remote negative consequences.