Ultrasound at 10-11 weeks pregnant: conduct, results
Ultrasound diagnosis in the period 10-11 weeks of pregnancy – a mandatory procedure, as it is at this period can be suspected genetic abnormalities in the fetus. This survey is done for free for all pregnant women. It is advisable to take it in 10-11 weeks to the doctor as early as possible has determined that there is no medical indication to abort an ongoing pregnancy pathologically.
Screening is a set of surveys that produce of all pregnant women at risk for a particular disease. In the period 10-11 weeks into it include an ultrasound and a blood test from a vein in special proteins produced by the placenta. Deviation from normal values indicates elevated risk of having a child with genetic diseases.
How do ultrasound at 10-11 weeks?
Usually the examination is carried out by placing the sensor on the anterior abdominal wall. You do not want to stick to a diet or to empty the bowel before the procedure. It is recommended only to drink 500 ml of water and not to urinate for 1 hour prior to inspection – the presence of fluid in the bladder improves the picture quality on the camera.
At this point, the baby is already grown up – you can see his anatomical features to perform important measurements.
- The doctor again calculate the exact duration of pregnancy from the date of the last menstrual period.
- Determine the number of fetuses in the uterus.
- Kopcik-parietal size (10 should be in the range of 33-49 mm, 11 week – 42-58 mm).
- Biparietal size (the width of the head of the baby) is 10 weeks is usually 14 mm in the 11 weeks to 17 mm.
- The frequency of fetal heart rate (normal 150-180 beats per minute).
- The thickness of the nuchal translucency should not exceed 2.4 mm.
- The size of the nasal bones, although 12 weeks can determine only its presence.
- The presence and size of the yolk SAC.
- Will be viewed by the bones of the skull, anterior abdominal wall, stomach, bladder, spine, heart, arms and legs of the baby.
Special attention is paid to the state of the uterus, cervix and chorion precursor of the placenta:
- where there is a chorion – on a wall or in the bottom of the uterus, not whether it covers domestic Xev, what is its thickness,
- the presence of chorion of calcification, hemorrhage and other structural disorders
- be sure to inspect the fallopian tubes and ovaries are on the subject of concomitant diseases (cysts, neoplasms),
- determines the tone of the myometrium and cervical status.
Many parents can’t wait to hear the sex of the baby, but at this period the reproductive organs are still too small. The second screening date in 20-24 weeks, the probability of sex determination substantially increases, however, the baby can «turn away» from the sensor, to cross legs, and then the question will remain a mystery.
What anomalies tell us results at the 10-11 week?
All sizes of fruit must correspond to the term of pregnancy. If they are behind normal, performed in-depth diagnosis for detection of missed abortion or intrauterine growth retardation.
The heart rate of a fetus speaks about his condition in General – abundance of oxygen and nutrients, and in combination with other signs – the risk of genetic abnormalities.
Nuchal translucency is the distance between the soft tissues of the neck and skin. To 10 weeks it is difficult to measure, as the embryo is still too small, but after 14 weeks it is increased in connection with the formation of the lymphatic system, it cannot be assessed as a diagnostic criterion. Too large nuchal translucency indicates elevated risk of the birth of a baby with down syndrome.
The lack of 10-11 weeks is formed of the nasal bone also indicates a possible down syndrome and Edwards syndrome.
In the first ultrasound screening is not only considered the limbs of the baby, but also to count the fingers. In a well-organized office diagnosis the doctor will be able to show you the palm of crumbs.
Increased tone of the uterus and opening of the internal OS talking about the threat of abortion. This condition requires immediate consultation with a gynecologist watching. It will help to determine the cause of disease and prescribe the appropriate treatment in a hospital or at home.
What other genetic anomalies can be identified and what to do if the result of the ultrasound wrong?
In addition to these diseases, inspection on 10-11 week will show a number of congenital abnormalities:
- anomalies in the structure of the brain and spinal cord,
- omphalocele – a condition in which part of the internal organs is not located in the abdomen, and the hernial SAC formed by the tissue of the umbilical cord,
- patau syndrome – additional chromosome 13, accompanied by multiple malformations of internal organs, kids with this diagnosis rarely survive to 1 year,
- triploidy – chromosome set of triple instead of double, also accompanied by numerous anatomical anomalies,
- syndrome Cornelia de Lange is a genetic disease with multiple birth defects and mental retardation, most patients are unable even to swallow food, life expectancy depends on the quality of care
- syndrome, Smith-Opitz – genetic disorder accompanied by metabolic disorders, mental retardation, autism.
Deviation from normal values on the ultrasound has not said clearly about a particular disease. This is just a reason more to examine the woman.
Such patients are sent to genetic or prenatal center, where they repeated the ultrasound procedure, blood sampling at the placental proteins and additional diagnosis – chorionic biopsy, amniocentesis or cordocentesis.
These procedures require a puncture of the uterus and sampling of fetal tissues, which is associated with an increased risk for mother and child. Their necessity is discussed in detail with your doctor. Eventually the patient herself makes the decision about optional screening and termination of pregnancy.
Ultrasound examination in the period 10-11 weeks of pregnancy is an extremely important diagnostic procedure and the possibility for my mother for the first time to meet baby. It allows already in the first trimester to identify increased risk of having a seriously ill child and allows women to make a decision about continuation or interruption of pregnancy.