Ultrasound of the brain in detail
The main thing is that the UZI is one of the safest imaging. Due to the use of ultrasonic waves whose frequency does not harm the human body. Doppler blood vessels of the head is a noninvasive, contrast ultrasound, which is used for the diagnosis of vascular disease, in both adults and children.
As practice shows, such a common medical applications of ultrasound for assessment of blood vessels is due to the lack of application of ionizing radiation, as well as reusability. You need to add that transcranial dopplerography of cerebral vessels used in pregnant women.
Indications for ultrasound of the vascular system of the head the following:
- headaches of unspecified nature;
- noise in ears and head;
- weakness, bouts of poor health of the patient;
- heaviness in the head and neck;
- loss of memory, attention;
- hypertension (high blood pressure);
- a suspected stroke;
- the presence of stroke in anamnesis;
- intermittent (transient) circulatory disorders of the brain;
- a sense of pulse formation in the head or neck;
- disturbed coordination of movements;
- complete loss of vision or decrease its severity;
- blurred vision, manifested by loss of one of the fields;
- the patient has the disease, complicated by vascular lesions (diabetes, CHD);
- a rise in the level of cholesterol in the biochemical analysis of blood;
- numbness and weakness of the fingers and toes;
- the presence of degenerative-dystrophic lesions of the cervical spine (diagnosed low back pain with other methods of study).
Preparing the patient for the Doppler
Transcranial Doppler does not require preparation of the patient. There is no need of dieting. However, it is not recommended before the procedure to consume alcohol, large amounts of coffee or tea. This is due to the fact that these drinks lead to changes in vascular tone and as a consequence, an incorrect interpretation of ultrasound findings.
Before the examination it is necessary to release the inspected surface (head and neck) from clothing and jewelry. Duration: on average thirty minutes (up to a maximum of sixty minutes). After the Doppler, the patient can immediately return to normal activities.
That are identified by Doppler of the vessels of the head
I must say that doing an ultrasound to measure the diameter of arteries and veins, assessment of the vascular wall and the measurement of hemodynamic parameters of the arterial or venous circulation.
This ultrasound shows:
- the permeability of blood vessels;
- narrowing (stenosis) of the arteries of the head and neck;
- the presence of a blood clot in the lumen;
- malformations (vascular malformations, aneurysms);
- atherosclerotic or other disease of the vascular wall;
- the state of the soft tissues surrounding the vessel;
- to establish the degree of impaired blood flow;
- to determine the speed characteristics of blood flow in the major arteries of the head,
- necessary the arteries of the neck;
- to determine the cause of headaches.
In this context, Doppler ultrasound of cerebral vessels used in neurology, vascular surgery, cardiology and therapy.
The advantages of this ultrasonic procedure
- Non-invasive (that is, this method does not produce a skin puncture needle for injection of a contrast agent into an artery as in angiography).
- Painless implementation.
- The lack of application of contrast media (rules out the possibility of Allergy to contrast).
- Highly informative in identifying vascular pathology (allows to detect pathological changes in the vessels of the head and neck before the appearance of any clinical manifestations).
- The relative simplicity of the ultrasound (in comparison with other methods, for example, angiography).
- In Doppler ultrasound of vessels of head no radiation load on the subject (so it is conducted for pregnant and lactating women, adults and children).
- The relative cheapness of the study (compared to other radiation methods, for example, CT angiography head with contrast).
- The availability of the method (in comparison with CT or magnetic resonance study).
- Doppler of the head and neck is carried out in real time.
- Magadana high sensitivity (compared with chest x-ray).
- Doppler is carried out for patients in serious condition (in contrast to CT and Mr studies).
- In addition to the evaluation of blood flow in the brain parallel to the ultrasound shows the blood flow in the vessels of the neck.
- Does not require the use of anesthesia, even if the research makes the newborn (unlike CT or Mr-imaging).
What are the limitations of Doppler ultrasound
Don’t forget that Doppler blood vessels of the brain allows to diagnose pathological changes in the vessels, but to completely replace angiography (radiographic study of blood vessels with contrast medium) she can’t.
Limitations of ultrasound of the vascular system are:
- insufficient assessment of vessels of small diameter (better visualized arteries of large diameter);
- in some cases the bones of the skull interfere with the carrying out uzdg vessels of the head (this is because the bone structure preventing the passage of ultrasonic waves);
- the presence of calcification in the arteries associated with atherosclerotic changes in them, can also interfere with the full carrying out Doppler.
Don’t forget, Doppler ultrasound of cerebral vessels should be performed only on devices of the latest generation. Also this study is conducted by experienced doctor of ultrasonic diagnostics.
It should be noted that Doppler ultrasound of cerebral vessels is an indispensable method in identifying serious blood flow disorders that threaten the patient’s life.
The advantage of ultrasound is the ability to detect pathological vascular changes at an early stage, when it is possible to conduct timely and adequate treatment.