Urethroscopy in women: indications, preparation, complications
Urethroscopy is a diagnostic and treatment method which is carried out with the help of the ureteroscope to prevent and treat diseases of the urethra (the urethra). The procedure is the front and rear. The first kind is when you need to examine the anterior urethra, and to diagnose the entire channel hold back.. Urethroscopy in women can be conducted not only for diagnosis but also to perform some manipulations.
From the history
Method ureteroscopy appeared in the last century. Before was invented urethroscope, examinations carried cytoscope developed in the eighteenth century. If you compare the ureteroscope and cytoscopy, the first smaller and he had the best angle. Over time urethroscope improved. You can now watch all the changes in the body on the monitor screen.
To diagnose can apply different survey methods. This:
- Irrigation method. It is performed with a special liquid, which fills the bladder.
- Dry diagnosis. Used for it pumping the bladder with oxygen. This technique helps to assess the condition of the urethra intact, no sprains.
In each case, the doctor determines the type of diagnosis that would be most informative.
Indications for use
Following the inspection the urologist or the venereologist, appoint.. Indications for manipulation are:
- chronic pathology of the urinary canal;
- the suspicion of a cyst;
- suspected tumor;
- the presence of a foreign body in the urethra;
The indications for manipulation may serve as diverticula in the urethra and other pathological conditions.
Contraindications to the diagnosis no. However, in some cases, it is not recommended for women who have inflammation severely neglected. In other words, when the channel there is an obstacle in the form of wounds, the procedure was canceled because of the risk of rupture of the urethra. In such cases, first carried out treatment of wounds, and then assigned to the instrumental method of examination.
According to experts ureteroscope is a safe procedure. In this type of examination can detect a variety of diseases and to evaluate their complexity, stage. However, if to trust the non-professional, the procedure can lead to rupture of the urethra.
The procedure is done under anesthesia.
So before you go for inspection, you must inform your doctor about intolerance of anesthesia. Among the possible complications is to provide a feeling of discomfort after the procedure, pain during urination. Can occur of bleeding from the canal. In a few days all these symptoms will pass.
After diagnosis, may experience changes such as:
- the weakening of the jet;
- temperature rise;
- the bleeding continued for a long time;
- stabbing pains.
All these symptoms say that you need to see a doctor. If this is not done in time, the consequences could be dire.
Urethroscopy is considered one of the most informative methods of diagnostics. During the examination, the doctor obtains enough information about the state of the mucosa can see the walls of the channel. Doctors believe that the procedure is very informative and allows you to get the most accurate information about the condition of the patient.. the results of the survey can track the dynamics of recovery.
For reviews of those who did., it is clear that it does not cause any consequences and a positive effect on recovery (with the introduction of medications directly to the lesion). Of course, the procedure is not very pleasant, but due to the anesthesia during it there will be no significant pain.
Preparations for the diagnosis
To explore the female urethra, no need special training. The only thing done is the psychological preparation of the physician, namely that:
- to offer the most effective pain medications;
- tell us about the course of the study;
- to name the possible complications.
Before procedure it is necessary to pass a number of tests. In each case, the doctor selects certain types of laboratory diagnostics that will help in conducting ureteroscopy. Including smear, urine, and other types of research.
The course of the study
What is a urethroscopy and how it is carried out?
- Depending on the method ureteroscopy, its goals, the applied method and equipment, the doctor may ask you to empty your bladder. This is usually done in cases when it is necessary to measure the amount of residual urine. In other situations this is not necessary.
- Before manipulation of the patient is the standard position for urological chair with extended aside and bent in knees legs.
- The procedure is somewhat painful. That patients do not experience discomfort, anaesthesia is given. To do this, use lidocaine or any other anesthetic.
- A doctor treats external opening of the anesthetic external urinary canal. Then the selected tube of the desired diameter. Further, the tube ureteroscope is smeared with a special gel or cream and gently inserted into the urethra.
- During examination noticed the hue of the lining of the channel, the presence of vascular pattern, around the gaps, deformation, and erosion. While manipulation can occur ulcers, tumors.
- In normal condition, the urethra should be pink, shiny, without visible changes. The mucosal surface should be smooth, uniform. Closer to the outer part of the surface should be lighter than the inner.
Modern diagnostic techniques allow us to obtain the maximum amount of information for setting very accurate diagnosis. The results of the survey help to choose the most effective treatment and evaluate its effectiveness.