What kind of doctor gives direction and makes a colonoscopy?
A colonoscopy is an examination of the colon using special equipment. Referral for colonoscopy can prescribe the doctors of various specializations depending on the source of the patient’s complaints and data of physical examination.
Possibilities of the method
What is the procedure? How is it performed? Colonoscopy is an endoscopic examination of the lumen of the colon. The procedure allows the technician to evaluate a number of indicators and conduct small surgical intervention, including:
So, what your doctor may send the patient to the study?
- If the patient complains of pain in the intestines, disorders of the chair, the stool streaked with blood or other abnormal discharge from the rectum, direction of the study will prescribe the physician or gastroenterologist.
- When often exacerbated deep hemorrhoids, fissures of the colon to the diagnosis will direct the doctor-the proctologist.
- If in the process of General examination of the patient suspected the presence of cancer, after prior consultation of the study will guide the oncologist.
- In the case of violations of blood counts (decrease in hemoglobin), a hematologist may suspect hidden bleeding of the digestive system and encourages the patient to a colonoscopy of the bowel.
- If there is a patient’s genetic susceptibility to malignant diseases of the intestines make colonoscopy may recommend any of the above professionals.
Preparation for the procedure
Colonoscopy, like most endoscopic examinations, require special training of the patient.
The preparation involves following a special diet and medication that help cleanse the colon.
The basic principles of nutrition before the procedure:
- Restrictions in diet you need to stick around for 3-5 days before the diagnostic procedure.
- From the diet exclude or limit consumption of foods that contain large amounts of fiber, as well as products that contribute to increased production of intestinal gas: bananas, cabbage, beets, carrots, radish, black bread, grapes, peaches, nuts, oatmeal and barley cereals, milk, legumes, carbonated beverages, red wine.
- Dishes should be prepared from low-fat varieties meat, poultry and fish. You can also use rice and buckwheat. Of the drinks shown herbal tea, mineral water and juices.
- On the eve of the examination, the lunch should be easy, dinner is excluded on examination day can only drink water.
Diet helps to clean the intestines from the fecal mass, which will improve the quality of diagnosis of diseases of the colon.
In addition to diet, used medical methods for cleansing the bowel using special drugs. For example, this purpose can be assigned to the drug Fortrans, or Duphalac. To lower high gas formation in the period of diet can be used chelators: POLYSORB, Polyphepan, Activated carbon, Filtrum-STI Enterosgel. Eliminate flatulence used drugs containing Simethicone: Espumizan, Ûniènzim and other.
In the case when the bowel is liberated from the stool is not fully shown enema the evening before and morning prior to the colonoscopy. Enema can be performed with a mug Esmarch by introducing into the colon of clean water. Then the bowel movements, which contributes to its complete cleansing.
Who conducts the study?
What kind of doctor does colonoscopy? The procedure performs the doctor-endoscopist. The doctor who performs the endoscopic diagnosis, has adequate clinical experience. This specialist regularly attended a course of advanced training in endoscopy.