You need to take with you to undergo a gastroscopy?
EGD fibrogastroduodenoscopy is the study of the digestive tact with the probe. The probe is an endoscopic equipment, is equipped with an optical fiber and a special light bulb. The method allows to visually inspect the esophagus, stomach and part of duodenum 12. In addition, with the help of device, it is possible to take samples from the digestive tract for analysis.
Indications for the procedure
What purpose carry out the study? Indications for gastroscopy appointment are:
What you can identify on the basis of the obtained data? The study can determine:
- The inflammatory process in the stomach, 12-duodenum and esophagus.
- Foreign body in upper digestive tract.
- The presence of ulcers and erosions in the lining of the organs and their localization.
- The presence of bleeding.
- The tumor process.
- Changes in the blood vessels of the esophagus with liver disease.
- Other pathological conditions.
To schedule an appointment for gastroscopy you in the direction of the attending physician. To conduct the study patient, you need to prepare. So, how to prepare for EGD?
In preparation for the examination
Before undergoing the procedure to follow a special diet is not required. However, before the study should avoid eating some indigestible food. To such food include:
- Sweets and butter cakes, including sponge cakes with butter cream.
- Chocolate and candies with fillings.
- Mushrooms in any form: fried, salted, pickled.
- Alcohol and carbonated drinks.
- Spicy dishes, rich with condiments, spices, sauces and mayonnaise.
- Cereals, nuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin.
- Fatty meats, lard, bacon, sausage and sausages.
- Other foods and dishes containing large amounts of fat, fiber, etc.
Before the study, in the evening to be eaten up to 18 hours. For example, for dinner can be a protein dish and a tea drink. You can eat a piece of boiled chicken breast and drink a Cup of chamomile tea with a little honey. Alternative low-fat meat can be low-calorie dairy product – curd or cheese pie. If you do not overeat for the day before the EGD, the food by the time research is completely digested.
If the procedure is scheduled for the second half of the day, in the morning you can drink a little water, but not later than 5 hours before the study.
Smoking on this day is forbidden, since the smoke can trigger the gag reflex during EGD. Also in the morning not to take medicines in form of capsules and tablets.
What to bring to the procedure?
What it takes to take on EGD? The study take:
- Documents: passport, health card, patient card, referral for investigation from a doctor.
- Disposable bed sheets and Shoe covers. In some hospitals, especially if the EGD is performed in the framework of the provision of services necessary disposable underwear will be given at the office diagnostics.
- A handkerchief, wet wipes.
How is the procedure? If the patient came to the study prepared, EGD, or FGS pass without complications. Usually this test is done without the use of General anesthesia. But in some cases, a gastroscopy may be performed under General anesthesia.
The physician conducting the study will explain to the patient how to go. Gastroscopy is carried out with the patient lying on his left side. Before examining the oral cavity treated with antiseptic preparation and local anesthetic. Local anesthesia, and is subject to the nasopharynx.
EGD can take place by introducing a probe through the nose or mouth. Patients reported that the introduction of a probe through the nose is less painful and does not cause gag reflex and spit up.
What not to do before gastroscopy? Do not eat the day of the test, drink later than five hours prior to gastroscopy, Smoking, taking pills and capsules.
Contraindications to the study
Gastroscopic procedure has contraindications to the appointment. EGD cannot be applied in the following cases:
- Severe course of asthma or its exacerbation.
- Diseases of the thyroid gland (goiter).
- In the first two weeks after myocardial infarction.
- Mental illness in the acute stage.
- In some cases, the study is contraindicated during pregnancy.
- The serious condition of the patient.
- The problem of blood coagulation.
What to do before gastroscopy if the patient is afraid to be tested or too excited? In this case, the physician should reassure the patient by conversation. The specialist should explain to the patient about the procedure, what it involves, what purpose it is held and what you need EGD. Also the doctor will explain what will be useful for the procedure and what you need to take a gastroscopy.
Diagnostic EGD in most cases proceeds without complications. Adverse reactions can occur with improper preparation of the patient, as well as in a situation when a physician was not considered contraindications available to the patient.