What you can and can’t eat with pancreatitis: diet, a list of permitted and prohibited foods
The pancreas is an important organ in the human body, and is necessary for normal protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism, which it supports through a synthesis of pancreatic juice and hormone insulin. Malfunction of the pancreas leads to the formation of dangerous diseases such as pancreatitis, in the course of which the body is suffering because of their own enzymes.
At the initial stage of developing acute form, which in the absence of therapeutic measures flows into chronic. However, in each of these cases the first event, which should begin the treatment of pancreatitis, is the observance of strict diet.
Specifics of diet for pancreatitis
The main purpose of the diet is the prevention of more acute symptoms and progression of destruction of the pancreas. Doctor prescribed diet is designed to normalize the work of the pancreas and to repair chemical and mechanical damage to the mucous membranes of the stomach and intestines, prevent fatty degeneration of the pancreas and liver.
In determining the list of products allowed to the patient under this disease focus mainly on the stage of the inflammatory process. Regardless of the form of the disease patients prescribed the following diet:
- the presence of products containing a lot of protein and a limited amount of fats and carbohydrates;
- the presence of foods rich in vitamins;
- the decrease in the amount in the diet of spicy, salty, smoked and spicy dishes;
- limit consumption of products which have irritating effects on the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines.
Patients with signs of incipient pancreatitis shows the food steamed, braised or baked. Products should be consumed in powdered or grated form, resolve dishes which have neutral temperature. In daily menu should not be recipes that contain lots of seasoning.
What can I eat with pancreatitis
Patients, who are often marked by the exacerbation of the disease or after the regular bouts recommended the following products:
- Lean meat, which is permitted in boiled, steam or mashed form. Because it should cook meatballs, meatballs and homemade pâté. In diet can include lean beef, Turkey, pheasant, chicken. In the process of processing meat, be sure to remove the tendons, the skin and fascia.
- You can cook low-fat fish which is boiled or steamed. Recommended fish: pike, Pollack, plaice, codfish, bream. Salmon and carp are allowed to eat only in the absence of individual tolerance.
- In the diet you can add prawns, patients suffering from a chronic form of the disease in the period of remission allowed to give mussels.
- From dairy products allowed are those which have low fat cheese, percent yogurt, fermented baked milk, yogurt. Allowed cow’s and goat’s milk is used to prepare porridge, but before it is diluted in water.
- It is useful to prepare porridge from oats, buckwheat, rice and semolina. Them you can boil water or diluted milk. If over time the patient is not marked exacerbations, then add in the diet can be wheat or oat bran.
In case of acute pancreatitis the pancreas, the patient can eat chicken proteins, supplied in the form of omelets, souffles consumption should be limited to 4 pieces per week. Acute pancreatitis is shown quail eggs because of the better digestibility of protein.
But here it is necessary to observe a measure — the rate of consumption of quail eggs should be no more than 5 pieces. After bouts of illness can be included in the diet eggs which are prepared boiled and used as ingredient for various dishes.
From drinks weakly brewed tea with lemon or milk, juices and jellies made from permitted fruits and berries, definitely diluted with water, broth hips. Useful to drink mineral water. Recommended are Essentuki and Borjomi, which necessarily include in the diet menu for pancreatitis of the pancreas.
What not to eat with pancreatitis
This diagnosis should be to eat less fatty foods containing a lot of roughage and extractives:
- From the diet is necessary to remove meat and meat products with high fat content and hard to assimilate. Fall under the ban goose, brains, kidneys, bacon, sausages and canned food.
- The patient should not intake and high-fat fish: mackerel, eel, sardines, herring. Also in the diet does not should be fried, smoked and salted fish as well as caviar and canned food.
- Should not be on the table and milk products in the form of ice cream, whole milk, condensed milk. A similar prohibition applies to processed, spicy and smoked cheeses.
- Really need to be careful when you eat legumes and cereals in the diet should be dishes of lentils, corn, grain beans and peas.
- Patients with pancreatitis contraindicated mushrooms, because their composition contains a lot of chitin, which properties apply to crude fiber.
- It is forbidden to consume any alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages. The same applies to beverages with high caffeine content.
Vegetables and fruits
In the list of allowed foods you can include carrots, beets, cauliflower, zucchini, potatoes, broccoli, beets. Of them can cook pureed soups, or serve them mashed.
Regardless of the form of the disease in the table should be spinach, sorrel, horseradish, onions, nuts, peppers, garlic. Limit use, and during exacerbation of the disease completely exclude green peas, eggplant, tomatoes, celery, cabbage.
Extremely careful you have to be sauerkraut and pickles, which also should not be in the diet.
Patients were allowed to give ripe, soft, sweet fruit without hard skin. There can be only pre-purified from the seeds and thick shell. In the list of allowed fruits include sweet apples, melons, pears, pineapples.
Under the ban are sour apples, grapefruit, currants and lemons. In order to avoid the return of symptoms of pancreatitis it is impossible to give the sick cherries, pomegranates, cranberries and kiwi. During the escalation to consume oranges, avocados, persimmons and apricots are required in a limited quantity.
You can eat strawberries and raspberries, but only in the form of the kissels, jelly, mousses and compotes. They can also be used as additives in other dishes — yogurt and cottage cheese. In the period of exacerbation can cook compotes from dried fruits.
After the attack the patient can be given in a limited amount of prunes, raisins, dates and apricots. Before use, the dried fruit is soaked in hot water.
The peculiarities of nutrition in pancreatitis the pancreas
Patients with pancreatitis in the absence of seizures, it is recommended to eat yesterday’s bread from the flour of first or higher grade, as well as in dried form.
Welcome the presence in the diet of crackers, which before use to soften to its rough shell, they have not damaged the lining. Until a stable remission, the diet should not be a lot of black and bran bread and whole-grain crops.
Is it possible for pancreatitis to eat bananas? Diet allowed bananas in the chronic form of the disease in remission. They are used mainly in baked or mashed form.
Nuts and seeds. In acute pancreatitis it is forbidden to give ill nuts. Should not be their diet in the first six months after the exacerbation. In case of absence for a long time attacks are allowed in a limited number of chestnuts, cashews and walnuts.
You need to be careful with hazelnuts, pistachios and peanuts due to the presence in their composition of a large number of fiber and fat. Sunflower seeds are high in calories, so they fall under the ban. To replace them can pumpkin, flax or sesame seeds.
Sweets with pancreatitis
Patients with acute pancreatitis, and in the first month after an exacerbation it is impossible to give sweet dishes. In this period it is necessary to provide rest to the pancreas. Instead of sweets, you can use sweeteners that are added to the relevant recipes.
If over time no deterioration, as well as in the number of diseases missing diabetes mellitus, the patient can be given a marshmallow, candied fruit, candy, honey, marmalade and jam. In any case, in the list of allowed foods must not be cakes with cream, halva, sweet baking chocolate.
Pancreatitis can cause a lot of problems for anyone who is faced with this disease. Each meal for him would be a serious torture, since it will result in unpleasant symptoms.
Therefore, the first recommendation that must be performed by the patient with pancreatitis is to change your diet. But before going for a therapeutic diet, you need to decide on products which will help to avoid aggravation of the disease.
This is very important because the cause of pancreatitis is a dysfunction of the pancreas. To achieve stable remission it is necessary to provide maximum comfortable, so the basis of the diet should be easily digestible and low-fat products.