A yeast infection breast while breastfeeding
Thrush on the nipple is a problem faced by almost every second young and inexperienced mother. After giving birth unpleasant «guest» may arise not only in the vagina, but the Breasts. Usually thrush in nursing brings a lot of inconvenience and discomfort, sometimes due to her young mother needs to stop breastfeeding the baby. Newly-made mothers worry about many questions, for example, what are the reasons due to which there is a yeast infection of the breast, how to recognize illness, how to treat, what drugs to use and whether to use vaginal suppositories.
Thrush on the nipples: what is it?
What is a thrush in nursing? It is a fungal disease that is triggered by pathogenic fungi of the genus Candida, therefore, in medical terminology it is called the candidiasis.
Fungi of the genus Candida are present in the body of every healthy person, not exceeding the normal level. But when the body is formed of a favourable environment and conditions for active reproduction of fungi, it takes over.
Due to the fact that after pregnancy, childbirth and lactation the immune system women can weaken the yeast infection in nursing mothers are very common.
Fungus multiplies rapidly in warm and moist environment that is why many women suffer vaginal yeast infection. The disease can cause the administration of antibacterial drugs that reduce the protective functions of the body. Often doctors prescribe antibiotics along with the right antifungal drugs for prophylaxis. Also suffer from candidiasis girls with anemia and diabetes.
Thrush during pregnancy: the symptoms
Nursing a young mother obliged every day to examine their Breasts in order to detect abnormalities and seek medical attention.
What lactating woman needs to pay attention to:
- the nipple enlarges, becomes more than usual;
- the skin of the areola and the nipple starts to peel off, sometimes it can be of a scale;
- nipples are pink and shiny that tells about the inflammatory process;
- the skin near the areola can have high humidity;
- on the skin near the nipple can cause bubbles;
- white patches;
- burning and painful sensations;
- nipples become very sensitive, when feeding occurs pain and discomfort.
If the case started — possible sharp pain from the nipple down to the chest, back or armpit. Due to the increased sensitivity of the nipples can get injured even in close contract with the clothing. The pain appears even during the hygiene procedures.
In such a situation you must consult a doctor. Before doing this, to minimize the multiplication of fungus and to create a positive environment requires the use of special nozzles for breast feeding. Through them, the child will easily get their milk.
Sometimes pain may not be a symptom of thrush the main causes of pain is poor attachment to the breast and cracked nipples.
Thrush in nursing occurs for various reasons, which need to be identified and addressed. To thrush breast left a woman permanently it is necessary to properly determine the cause and factors that trigger the development of the disease to prevent them from occurring in the future.
Causes of yeast infection during pregnancy:
- Violation of the microflora of the gastrointestinal tract. Usually, this is because the nursing mother is limited to food and certain foods. Sometimes this deficit Mama wants to fill with sweets and flour, and is a favorable environment for pathogenic fungus.
- Antibacterial drugs, suppositories, vaginal tablets, creams and gels — their intake is strictly contraindicated in nursing.
- The decrease in immunity after birth.
- Hormonal change in the body;
- Also appearing thrush with breastfeeding may if there is damage to the nipple. This may result in the wearing of poor quality or non-nursing bra, dry skin in the breast area.
- Poor attachment of baby to the breast. Typically, inexperienced mothers do not know how to feed the baby without harm to themselves.
- Infection from a partner or the baby, which has thrush in his mouth.
- The poor personal hygiene of the breast, under the breast and hands.
A yeast infection of the breast: how to treat?
Thrush on the nipple successfully and quickly treated if the time to visit the doctor-gynecologist, who will prescribe appropriate treatment if breastfeeding.
Important! It’s clear that a nursing mother is busy, all her attention takes a newborn baby. But to find a few hours to in the future to face the serious consequences. Not worth to be treated yourself and try to experiment. You can hurt the baby and reduce milk production.
Yeast infection treatment during lactation is carried out in two stages:
- prescribers who fight and kill a pathogenic fungus;
- is alkaline microflora, which prevents new reproduction.
Feature of the treatment of candidiasis during lactation is associated with a limited list of approved drugs. Many of the tools of toxic and adversely affect the body of the newborn.
Active enzymes many drugs have the ability to penetrate the milk, that is why take the pills inside during lactation impossible. Of course, if the case is severe, you can, but in this situation, breast-feeding during treatment stops.
Some medications local therapy can also harm the baby, so it is allowed to use only some of them.
Lactating woman is at risk during administration of local impact, having in its composition an antibiotic. This can be explained by the fact that some vaginal tablets and candles reduce normal levels of lactobacilli.
If the yeast infection on the breast is acute, the gynecologist may prescribe capsules and tablets, an active enzyme which acts as fluconazole. During reception of such preparations feeding should be discontinued.
As a rule, most of the local spectrum do not have these contraindications, and breastfeeding. Quite often appointed by such candles, and ointments as «Nystatin», «Miconazole», «terbinafine», «Nizoral», «Terbinafine», «Terzian», «Clotrimazole», «Candide» and «Pimafucin».
So we figured out what yeast infection breast how to treat the disease which suppositories, ointments and drugs can be used for successful therapy. Often in the initial stages and lungs in HS used antifungal medicines in the form of ointments.