Acute rhinitis in children: symptoms and treatment how to treat
How to treat acute rhinitis in child?
Rhinitis in children is characterized as an inflammation in the nasal cavity, directly on the mucosa. In the course of the inflammatory process in a patient are formed copious mucous character, as well as a violation of nasal breathing, increase of body temperature and other signs of the clinical picture. This inflammation occurs quite often: almost forty percent of children rhinitis occurs before the age of three years, more than five times a year.
If the inflammation is not cured in time, the patient may develop inflammation of the nasopharynx, otitis media, sinusitis and tonsillitis. Such dangerous diseases in childhood, so it is important to know the main symptoms and treatment of acute rhinitis in children. In almost all cases to rid of a cold in infants a few days. However, it is very important to follow all rules and safety when taking medications.
What is acute rhinitis
Acute rhinitis in children is more common than other types of diseases. This type of disease is characterized by high body temperature, weakness, muscle pain, redness of the tip of the nose, profuse mucous secretions, and other characteristic features.
At this time, the little patient must stay in bed, and his parents to monitor the child’s diet, his condition and clinical picture inflammation.
If during the treatment you will notice the local manifestations of inflammation that can be treated easily, the baby is not allowed to swim or engage in physical activity, but in other cases it is important to follow all the rules.
Otherwise, rhinitis can become chronic.
Acute rhinitis often occurs with SARS, colds, inflammation of the paranasal sinuses or in the case of an allergic reaction. When inflammation of rhinitis primarily affects the vessels in the mucosa. They expand and provoke the formation of edema, which in turn causes difficulty in breathing.
Catarrhal runny nose stage of a baby feels abnormal breathing and severe nasal congestion. Such symptoms are moodiness, refusal to eat, sleep disturbance. If treatment is not received in this phase, comes the exudative stage. At this time, the part of blood plasma and mucosal fluid flows in a vascular tissue that forms in the lumen of the nasal cavity. Thus, in the nasal cavity formed by the exudate.
The separated fragments are usually quite slimy, but in violation of rules of treatment or lack of it, it becomes purulent. In some cases, acute rhinitis may occur with bloody secretions.
Regardless of the stage of inflammation, acute rhinitis needs to be cured. How and what to treat acute rhinitis in a child can be defined only by a qualified doctor. Keep in mind, that the treatment of cure is determined based on the child’s age, weight and growth, as well as after the analysis of the individual characteristics of the baby.
Symptoms of inflammation
Each period of acute rhinitis is accompanied by certain symptoms.
So, the incubation period of the common cold may occur several hours. At this time, the kid has the following symptoms:
- you receive a stuffy nose;
- the dysfunction of the organ of respiration;
- redness of the mucous membrane.
The next stage is accompanied by the formation of significant quantities of mucous secretion and impaired patency of the nasal passages. At this time there is the formation of abundant liquid discharge, and sneezing, itching, and burning. Patients there is plenty of watery eyes and the first symptoms of conjunctivitis.
On the fifth day of the disease the baby appears purulent education. At this time, mucus to thicken, and the secret is formed pus. Snot at that, find a yellow, green, brown or black shade.
In the case of complications of inflammation of the baby, the body temperature rises, there is a violation of smell, drowsiness, fatigue, moodiness, refusal to eat, insomnia. Such signs are accompanied by abundant discharge, pain in the throat, feeling of pressure in the nasal cavity and nose, headaches and shooting sensations in the temples.
If the inflammation is not cured, the child may form rhinopharyngitis. It is possible to replace the redness of the mucous membrane, sore throat and severe malaise.
Children of adolescence is often marked by memory impairment, pain in the ears, complete loss of smell.
Acute rhinitis lasts from seven days to two weeks. If you notice signs of inflammation in time, to cure rhinitis can in less time.
A comprehensive treatment of rhinitis
Acute rhinitis in infants should be treated under the strict supervision of a physician. Sometimes long and severe runny nose occurs with complications, which is impossible to identify independently. In addition, it is important to know the individual characteristics of the baby to correctly prescribe medications and do not cause side effects.
In most cases, acute rhinitis treated about one week. At this time, the baby needs to stay in bed. You should limit the communication of the baby, therefore, in acute rhinitis it is impossible to go to school or kindergarten.
Before beginning treatment it is important to get a full diagnosis in the office of ENT.
To make diagnosis possible in a personal consultation with the doctor, after rhinoscopy and pharyngoscope.
If necessary, your doctor may order additional testing.
It includes x-ray, endoscopy, visits to the allergist and other studies.
In the case of severe forms of inflammation or a small child’s age, the baby can be hospitalized. In addition, reasons for treatment in hospital can be several factors:
- in case of fever or convulsions;
- in acute intoxication;
- serious respiratory disorder;
- in the case of education risks and complications.
In other cases, the treatment takes place at home. During the treatment the little patient is prescribed the following procedure:
- Treatment of acute rhinitis begins with active influence on inflammation. For this the patient needs to take antiviral medicines and antibiotics. In the first case, antiviral drugs are effective in the earliest stages of inflammation. In this case, appoint Anaferon, Viferon. If the baby is already three years in the course of treatment may enter Arbidol.
- If acute rhinitis arose due to bacterial destruction, in the course of treatment includes taking antibiotics. Administration of an antibiotic after sensitivity analysis of the baby’s body to prescribed microorganisms. In addition, antibiotics are necessary in the presence of chronic diseases sinusitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis. In this case, the patient will be prescribed antibiotics of local action: Bioparox or Izofra and ointment Baktroban. Treatment of this kind continues for more than seven days.
- The next stage of treatment will be the reorganization of the nasal passages. This is necessary for getting rid of accumulations of pus and mucus. Nasal rinses contribute to the improvement of nasal breathing and a good rest of the child.
- It is important not to forget to spend inhalations with essential oils. In addition, you can use the «Balsam Golden star» or «Dr. mom».
- To help you breathe easier and return functions of the nose, kids nasanay vasoconstrictor nose drops: Otrivin, Nazivin, Naphazoline, Oxymetazoline and others. Moreover, the treatment means should be no more than five days, but if necessary, the doctor may increase the treatment to one week.
Keep in mind that babies under two years of treatment is chosen individually.
During recovery of function of the organs of respiration and elimination of the reasons for the formation of acute rhinitis, it is important to improve the condition of the baby.
- In case of high fever the baby can assign antipyretics: Nurofen, Panadol, Paracetamol and others.
- If a child is coughing, it is important to drink a course of the expectorant drugs.
- Kids about three years assigned to thermotherapy, and more young patients are allowed for certain physiotherapeutic procedures. The choice of treatment is only your doctor. To undergo the procedure UHF, electrophoresis and other physical treatments without the appointment of a specialist is prohibited.
To facilitate overall well-being, the child is assigned to a massage. It is necessary to enhance the protective functions of the body.
Treatment of acute rhinitis in infants and older children should be supervised by a specialist. If you have an home therapy, you must follow all the prescribed dosages and not to disturb the length of treatment.
In addition, monitor the overall health of the child and in case of significant complications inflammation seek immediate medical help.