Acute stenosing laryngotracheitis in children: symptoms and treatment
How to treat laryngotracheitis in the child: emergency care
Lesions of the upper respiratory tract – the most common diseases in childhood. Most often it is an infectious inflammation of viral origin, localized in the nasopharynx. One of the pathologies accompanying the kids for the first 7 years of life, is laryngotracheitis. According to the statistics, boys are susceptible to the disease 2-3 times more than girls. What is laryngotracheitis in children what is dangerous, and how to assist the child without hurting him?
Description and symptoms of the disease
Laryngotracheitis – infectious lesions of the larynx, involving the upper trachea, covering many the «company» SARS. In the adult, the disease manifests as fever, Osoblaha voice and frequent dry cough, which in process of recovery becomes easier. In children the picture is somewhat different.
Due to the fact that the airway of the child several times already smaller than in an adult, any respiratory tract involvement may cause a hazardous condition. But that laryngotracheitis is a champion in number of threats. Because of the narrowness of the larynx on the background of infectious diseases may develop stenosis – narrowing of the lumen that interferes with normal breathing. Laryngotracheitis accompanied by a stenosis, referred to as stenotic.
There are three specific features of this disease:
- hoarse/husky voice;
- barking or croaking cough;
- stenotic (labored, noisy) breathing.
In most cases, stenosing laryngotracheitis occurs in the background of SARS, but can develop suddenly, even without signs of inflammation.
Most often, the action begins at night: the child peacefully falls asleep, and after a few hours there barking cough, accompanied by noisy breathing.
Like other diseases, stenosing laryngotracheitis can be viral, bacterial or allergic origin, may be associated with inhalation of highly irritating chemicals.
Laryngotracheitis with stenosis developing during infection called croup. Breathing difficulties due to three main factors:
- Inflammatory swelling of the mucous membranes of the larynx.
- Spasm, impeding the passage of air.
- Hypersecretion (excessive formation) of slime due to the narrowing and spasm not easy to cough up.
The stronger these effects, the harder it is to breathe. Therefore, when symptoms of acute stenosing laryngotracheitis in children treatment it is desirable to entrust to specialists, since a really big risk of suffocation threatening condition.
The degree of laryngotracheitis with stenosis
Experts group the symptoms of an acute disease in three categories, allowing to assess the severity of stenosis. Parents, knowing these degrees, unable to Orient in time and determine when you can help your child on their own, and when to seek emergency help.
- The compensated stage is characterized by the change of voice, barking cough and mild shortness of breath during physical exertion, crying or feeding. In the rest position of the change in respiration is practically not observed. Coughing with this degree may continue for a couple of minutes, but sometimes take 2-3 hours.
- At the stage of partial compensation to the previous symptoms can be added bruising nasolabial triangle and sweating. The child coughs more worried, shortness of breath becomes stronger, accompanied by swelling of the nasal wings.
- Decompensated stenosis degree manifested by severe anxiety, inability to be in a horizontal position, to a sharp breakdown. The kid turns pale, looks tired, gives up games and favourite treats, does not respond to communication. The coughing with this practical non-stop, accompanied by severe shortness of breath and noisy breathing. It is at this stage there is a threat of suffocation, so if you notice such symptoms, parents should not think how to treat laryngotracheitis in children in the home, and immediately call specialists.
Diagnosis and treatment
A doctor or an experienced parent for only one cough, one can correctly determine the diagnosis, however, is only half the way to adequate therapy, and the easiest. The second part of the task – the search for the culprit, as tactics aid in viral stenosing laryngotracheitis is very different from the actions in bacterial infections or allergic reactions.
With a quick and affordable way to determine the nature of the disease – General blood analysis with the expanded formula of white blood cells. The number of certain elements you can understand who is to blame: a virus or bacterium; or stenosis triggered by an allergic reaction.
How to treat laryngotracheitis in the child, depends on the causes of disease, which has to understand the doctor. However, the tactics of first aid is basically the same for all variants:
- At the first suspicion on stenosis of the larynx child needs to provide fresh cool air. You can open open a window to pop up to the balcony or run out into the street.
- Thick and sticky sputum complicates the process of clearing, so we need all the forces it to liquefy. The best option is permanent drink of something warm: juice, tea, carbonated mineral water. Better to drink little by little slowly, but constantly, as a large amount of fluid in the cough attack may provoke vomiting.
- In the absence of temperature and the child reaches 3 years of age to facilitate breathing, you can use steam inhalations, however, you have to be triple careful: burn additional reasons for getting to the hospital very few people will appreciate. You should not do kids inhalation at elevated temperatures.
- For removing the swelling and spasm are used for inhalation of Pulmicort or Dexamethasone, but the use of these drugs in order of self-help is possible only after consultation with your doctor.
The currently popular method of parental care, consisting in the making of hot water and inhaled, so the warm vapor, is dangerous, especially when laryngotracheitis in infants. The mucus can quickly swell, increase in volume, which will cause severe obstruction. Moreover, if the stenosis is caused by allergic swelling or spasm, this method did not help.
To urgent care for stenosing laryngotracheitis in children are NOT related:
- Antiviral drugs like «Viferon», «Alferon» and other counterparts.
- Antibacterial agents.
- Antihistamines outdoor and indoor use.
- The people’s technique of steaming the legs, warming, treatment of the throat the herbal.
- Welcome expectorants, bronchodilators and mucolytic drugs.
What you need to minimize the risk of stenosis with laryngotracheitis? To provide conditions for normal functioning of the body:
- To make the air in the room with a sick child cool, the optimal temperature range of 17 to 22 degrees.
- To raise humidity to 50-60%. Faster all this can be achieved using household humidifiers. In the absence of the device need to hang wet linen on the battery or the dryer, put a wide container with warm water, use a spray bottle.
- Give warm drinks, by all available means to force the child to drink.
- The use of vasoconstrictors to facilitate nasal breathing and antipyretics, if the baby does not tolerate temperature.
- Regularly ventilate the room.
- Not to force there to limit the amount of food, preferring warm and liquid food. It is better to feed more often, but smaller portions.
Children up to 2-3 years because of the risk of obstruction and deterioration of condition due to the inability to cough up excessive sputum is CONTRAINDICATED:
- drugs expectorant and mucolytic action;
- steam inhalation.
A few important provisions:
- As in the majority of cases of acute laryngotracheitis viral origin, antibiotics for treatment are not shown. Moreover, the administration of drugs against the bacteria while the viral disease can cause complications.
- Unfortunately, the effectiveness of modern antiviral drugs, which is teeming with the domestic market, has not been proven, so their reception is considered irrational.
- Homeopathy ineffective.
- The methods of traditional practices known to be dangerous.
To treat acute laryngotracheitis in children needs or specialist, or parents, pre-acquainted with the tactics of the emergency and subsequent action.