After the impact, laying the ear — what you can do, and what not
What to do when, after a blow to the head lays the ear?
Head trauma is not a rare phenomenon, as it may seem at first glance. Getting hit on the head not only during fights, but also through negligence, in the home or at work. Such incidents were never considered safe for humans, because the concussion is just one of many problems caused by traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Even a minor injury can cause a malfunction of the organs of sight or hearing, and to exclude serious complications, should be given the value of any alarming signals, such as congestion in the ear. Therefore, after the injury you should immediately seek professional medical help immediately. To diagnose and prescribe treatment is only entitled specialist, otolaryngologist, or trauma.
What are the problems with hearing can cause a blow to the head
What if from a blow laid the ear? The question that cannot be ignored. It is naive to believe that the clogged ear will pass by itself. The fact that the organs of hearing are very complex and fragile structure, so even a small pathology can lead to dangerous consequences.
If after blow laid the ear, then can be seen as a deformation of the tympanic membrane that is fixed in the home and serious damage to the organs of the inner ear. Not even heavy bleeding can lead to the formation of edema and hematoma that later becomes the cause of hearing loss.
Due to the differential pressure can occur, perforation of the eardrum, which could lead to penetration of infection in the hearing aid and the development of otitis media. If the patient will not receive timely aid, it risks completely losing the hearing.
Not eliminated, and more severe consequences of blows to the head, including fractures of the auditory bones and a complete rupture of the eardrum. Such a situation is possible only in rare cases and under very serious head injury.
Injuries to the external ear
Blows to the head with blunt objects can cause damage to the ear, at least – injury to the external auditory meatus. As a result of the injury of the shell the deformation of the cartilage, there are bruises, blood clots accumulate between the cartilage tissue and perichondrium.
As a result, the ears become shapeless. In tissue often become infected, developing into necrosis and abscesses.
Injury of the external auditory canal are accompanied by damage to bone and cartilage, and rupture of membranes. The patient complains of severe pain, hearing loss and bleeding from the ear canals. With timely treatment the ears back to their original form, and hearing is fully restored.
Injuries to the middle ear
Damage to the middle ear structures resulting from the shock include rupture of the membrane, and barotrauma, provoked by the sharp jumps of pressure in the ear. These pathologies cause infection of the organs of hearing, which leads to the appearance of purulent lesions in the tympanic cavity.
Important! Without qualified help auditory dysfunction becomes more pronounced, the patient completely loses the ability to hear.
Symptoms of damage to the middle ear:
- noise in the ears;
- partial hearing loss;
- pain syndrome;
- suppuration (in the development of otitis media).
The inner ear trauma
The problems associated with the ear labyrinth is a rare phenomenon. If the patient received a head injury high severity, damage to the inner ear, in addition to the feeling of stuffiness, will prompt the following symptoms:
- acute vestibular problems – some disorientation, dizziness;
- pain syndrome;
- bleeding from the ear;
- partial loss of hearing.
What if after the shot can not hear the ear, there is at least one of these symptoms? It is important, call a doctor immediately as delayed treatment of injuries of the ear labyrinth becomes a cause of meningitis, facial palsy, brain abscess.
For studies of hearing acuity and detect any abnormalities in modern hospitals used a special device — audiometer. In an emergency, contacting the emergency service, the patient likely will not be able audiometry without delay.
First of all, the doctor will resort to the most available diagnostic methods of hearing:
- Check the patient’s ability to hear sounds by using a tuning fork.
- Will conduct a visual inspection of the ear canal using the Otoscope.
- Check the rest of the ENT organs directly associated with the ear canals (nasopharynx, nose).
- The noise in the ear after a blow to the head can cause the pathological processes of the nervous system. Therefore, the technician will check the reflexes, will hold promotionally used to test the work of the auditory nerve.
- If you suspect infection of your hearing due to damage of the eardrum to the patient will appoint the General analysis of blood.
- To diagnose the state of the middle ear conduct the timpanometry.
- Destruction of bone structures and soft brain tissue – another reason that the ear can not hear after the strike. If you suspect this disease, the specialist will prescribe a CT scan of the brain.
Only the results obtained after medical examination and diagnosis, should serve as a basis for action.
Do not trust people’s methods to eliminate congestion or to take medication without a doctor’s prescription. But this does not mean that before the visit to the specialist is worth nothing. To resolve after hitting congestion, the doctors offer some simple methods.
Methods of eliminating congestion
Independently resolve congestion is a snap, but to proceed to such measures is only in cases where serious injury is excluded. If a blow to the head was not strong, but ears still can not hear, then the reason for the congestion is slight deformation of the membrane.
Allowable next actions:
- Application of the method of Valsalva. Dial a deep breath and exhale it through your nose while closing your mouth and nostrils.
- Toynbee Method. For application of the method is to pinch the nose and swallow several times, thereby pushing the air through the ears.
- Method Franzella is the muscle tension of the throat and making swallowing movements. The lower jaw push forward and the nose clamp.
- Taking painkillers. In the presence of pain use painkillers based on paracetamol, over-the-counter without a prescription.
Important! You can’t exhale the air sharply, as there is a risk of more serious damage.
At home it is strictly forbidden to take the following measures for self-addressing congestion:
- to pick your ear with a cotton swab or a match, trying to self clean the channels;
- put in ear plugs, cotton wool and any other foreign objects;
- the use of antiseptics, pour in ear medications, or any other fluid according to folk recipes.
Depending on the diagnosis and extent of hearing damage, the doctor will conduct the following activities:
- Therapeutic measures to eliminate the inflammatory processes consist in the use of anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial drugs, as well as in the receiving analgesics for the relief of pain.
- Vasoconstrictor drugs used in the presence of edema. A bleeding wound is treated with antiseptics.
- Sanitizing operations are assigned to the patient for elimination of the purulent foci. Surgery may be required if you have a tense hematoma.
- Reconstructive surgery is assigned to the patient if found to have severe mechanical damage to the eardrum or auditory ossicles.
- Plastic surgery is performed to correct aesthetic defects.
If you completely restore hearing fails, the patient is asked to take the hearing aid. Modern hearing AIDS can compensate for pathologies of the hearing function of the ear, helping to restore quality of life. But this does not mean that to protect the fragile bodies is optional.
So we reviewed what to do if after a blow laying the ear. The main recommendation of a hearing after trauma – immediate access to high-quality medical care. You should not ignore troubling symptoms or to follow the advice of «knowledgeable» family – it means a complete loss of hearing.