Allergic cough in adults: symptoms and treatment, signs and causes
How to treat allergic cough in adults?
Allergy is recognized as the most common disease of our time. Most often, allergic the cough is occurring as a consequence of prolonged contact with animals or by contact with dust, cosmetics. Stimuli can be flowering when Hiking in the spring become a real torture. Signs of dysfunction of the nasal cavity and respiratory tract violate the patient’s quality of life and provoked a strong deterioration of health, therefore it is very important to know how and what to treat allergic cough.
The treatment of this pathological process begins with establishing a cause. By eliminating the irritant, symptoms and signs of allergic cough becomes less severe. But to get rid of all factors of the disease should receive comprehensive medical treatment.
What is an allergic cough
The signs of allergic cough can be confused with symptoms of cold, as at first they are similar. However, allergic disease of the respiratory tract accompanied by histamine release , so to get rid of the inflammation only a mucolytic and anti-inflammatory medications impossible.
This reaction may start on any kind of stimulus. The main pathogens include:
- wool Pets;
- a variety of household aerosols
- the smells of dyes;
- synthetic things;
- washing powders;
- some foods, especially eggs, citrus fruits and fish.
Irritant, penetrating into the mucous membrane, causing severe itching and burning sensation, and a rush of blood to the site of the lesion. This process causes the swelling of tissues. As a result of this effect the body takes the agents as foreign objects on the eye and trying to get rid of them, causing the formation of cough.
Thus, an allergic cough occurs as a protective reaction of the organism. The Airways try to protect themselves and to eliminate the irritant, causing spasms in the mucous membrane of the pharynx. To cure this process should establish the type of stimulus and as quickly as possible to bring it out.
Allergy in the form of cough manifests a specific clinical picture. Not to confuse any infectious inflammation with allergic manifestation, it is important to know certain symptoms which accompany the disease.
Important! Due to the fact that an allergic cough is similar to that of catarrhal inflammation, it is important to know the cause of the formation of the reflex process. Otherwise, the patient may start wrong treatment, which will lead to dangerous consequences.
For allergic forms of inflammation of the respiratory tract characteristic manifestations of the following signs:
- the lack of increase in body temperature. Due to the fact that the body no viruses or infections, the immune system begins its activity. However, temperature change may occur in the chronic stage, when allergies are not treated at all or had incorrect drug therapy;
- dryness of the mucous membrane;
- suffocating cough;
- congestion in the sternum;
- the lack of production of large amounts of phlegm in the throat;
- a small quantity of mucus when coughing indicates an allergic manifestation;
- the absence of pain in the throat;
- the presence of water secretions from the nasal cavity;
- itching and burning in the throat;
- respiratory failure;
- wheezing when breathing;
- severe headaches;
- signs of suffocation.
Patients are often tormented by the question whether it may be an allergic cough? A small amount of mucus is the primary symptom of allergic inflammation. Therefore, the manifestation of phlegm and combination of the above symptoms, you must take immediate action.
Usually the symptoms of inflammation are amplified by the evening or night, disturbing the sleeping patient. Thus, the cough causes insomnia, fatigue and lethargy, loss of performance and severe irritation of the patient.
Remember! Untreated allergic cough provokes a decrease in the immune system, which leads to viral infections and inflammation. Treatment of the combined process is much harder.
Identify symptoms and prescribe treatment of allergic cough in adults should only by a qualified doctor. It is impossible to apply the methods of traditional medicine and to drink medicines without prior consultation.
Causes of allergic cough in adults are rooted in the conditions of life of the patient.
Mostly cough caused due to the abundant production of histamine from mast cells of the patient in the mucosa of the upper respiratory tract. To provoke the formation of histamine can the following processes:
- the penetration of the mucous membranes clear of allergens: dust, dirt, blooming and so on;
- due to overcooling, overheating, trauma;
- in the case of hereditary predisposition;
- in the case of environmental or occupational exposures;
- for long periods in dusty areas;
- the effects of mold;
- overly dry air;
- certain foods.
One of the reasons for the rapid development of cough may be allergic rhinitis or bronchitis. How to cure seasonal allergic rhinitis to clarify here.
It should be noted that in the case of congenital Allergy to get rid of the disease permanently is almost impossible. The patient can only relieve the seizures with medication.
Types of cough
Cough in allergic inflammation is of several types.
The manifestation of dry cough Allergy does not occur the outflow of mucus and the production of mucus. The reason for this process lies in the penetration of the upper airway particles of hair, dust, skin and other dirt. Also, to provoke such a process can cigarette smoke.
Another reason for the formation of dry cough is the consequence of prolonged drug therapy. Some drugs cause side effect, which manifests itself in this way.
The second type of lesion is an allergic cough. The risk of allergic kind is the accumulation of harmful elements in the mucus. Therefore, it is crucial to get rid of the secretions with mucolytics, antihistamines and other treatments.
When treating allergies it is important to follow a few basic rules:
- The first thing you need to get rid of things that can accumulate dust. These include carpets, soft toys, large pillow, fur with long pile.
- If the allergies you can’t have Pets.
- Should be daily wet cleaning and airing the room several times a day.
- Moisturize the sleeping area with the help of special devices. To choose a quality humidifier possible using this material.
- Use only hypoallergenic bedding.
Completely eliminated the inflammation only after identifying the type of irritant and eliminate it. After that, the patient is prescribed medication:
- The first thing you need to undergo a whole body detox using drugs «Enterosgel» or «POLYSORB». For these purposes some doctors prescribe activated charcoal.
- To reduce the amount of histamine in the blood, the patient is administered antihistamine drugs – «Suprastin», «Tavegil», «Zyrtec», «Zodak», «Effective», «Aerius» and others.
- As prevention you can use the «claritin» or «Ketotifen», but be prepared for the fact that the drugs cause severe drowsiness.
- In severe attacks of coughing prescribers for the expansion of the bronchi — «Pulmicort», «Flixotide», «Benacort».
- To eliminate spasms in the bronchi may hormone medicines «Aminophylline» or «Salbutamol».
- In order to facilitate attacks and to bring thick mucus are assigned to «Bromhexine», «Mucosolvan» or «sodium Cromoglicate».
After that, the patient is prescribed the suppression of sensitivity to basic stimuli using desensitization. To carry out this procedure in house conditions it is impossible, so the patient put in the hospital.
The treatment begins with the introduction of small doses. After the adaptation of the organism in the skin are increased dosages, which allow to develop the tolerance of the immune system.
Cure allergies completely is quite difficult. However, in the combination therapy and the correct use of drugs, the patient can control its manifestations.
Allergic dangerous by its consequences. If untreated, the patient may form angioedema, which can block the function of respiration. In addition, the patient may receive bronchial asthma.
It is important to understand that Allergy affects not only the respiratory tract but also on the entire body. Thus, a decrease in the immune system, which in turn causes the development of infectious or viral diseases.