Bacterial rhinitis (common cold): treatment and symptoms how to treat in children
How to recognize and treat bacterial runny nose?
Rhinitis, is rhinitis, is characterized as a disease of the mucous parts of the nasal sinuses. This inflammation appears to infections of the body when due to hypothermia or a weak immune system in the mucosa includes malicious microbes. Based on this information, we distinguish viral rhinitis or infectious rhinitis, but in some cases patients have an allergic form the mucous secretions.
Rhinitis is often an underlying cause of otitis media or sinusitis. To avoid such ailments it is recommended to timely treatment of patients. How to treat bacterial runny nose and what are the symptoms of bacterial rhinitis to learn after reading the material.
Why comes the rhinitis and how to define it
Rhinitis is an inflammatory process of the mucous membrane of the nasal passage. Most often patients are diagnosed with an infectious form of the disease, the cause of which is the defeat of an organism by viruses, bacteria or fungi. But in some cases bacterial rhinitis can be triggered by different pathologies. Such causes include measles, colds, influenza, diphtheria.
Given the nature of the disease patients complain of severe pain in the head and nasopharynx, nasal congestion, frequent sneezing, cough, General discomfort.
To determine the type of rhinitis and prescribe treatment can only be attending physician.
Independent determination of the nature of the disease it is impossible, but we can assume the cause of the inflammation.
In case of untimely treatment of rhinitis becomes chronic stage, in which the treatment is longer and more complex.
In this form occurs dysfunction of the airway, hypoxia of the surrounding tissues near the nasal cavity and the development of various pathologies.
The most dangerous of all types of rhinitis is the infiltration of a bacterial infection in the nasal cavity. Understand that the patient has bacterial rhinitis following symptoms:
- nasal congestion;
- copious mucous fluid;
- unpleasant sensation in the temples;
- redness of the tip of the nose.
It should be noted that in case of weak immune system there is a rapid complication in which the paranasal sinuses suffer. It causes sinusitis, otitis media. In children, rhinitis may cause pharyngitis, tonsillitis, laryngitis, and inflammation of the trachea.
Usually in the formation of infectious rhinitis the patient goes through three stages of the disease, each of which occurs with certain symptoms.
At the first stage, called reflex rhinitis inflammation formed due to minor reasons. These include hypothermia or being in the wind. This stage lasts no more than five hours. At this time the patient plagued by the following symptoms:rhinitis
- feeling of dryness in the nasal cavity;
- burning and itching;
- severe swelling;
- nasal congestion;
- the inability to breathe through the nose;
- frequent sneezing.
If you notice these signs of disease, start treatment. In this case, you will avoid complications and long-lasting rhinitis.
If you do not pay attention to signs of the reflex rhinitis, comes the catarrhal stage.
The catarrhal form, serous rhinitis, lasts until two or three days. At this time you may notice the following signs:
- constant nasal congestion;
- formation of crusts in the nasal cavity;
- congestion tends to worsen in the evening, which greatly interferes with sleep;
- the patient has decreased appetite;
- profuse discharge are formed in the mucosal part;
- impaired sense of smell;
- there is a strong and frequent watering;
- changing your own voice;
- appears stuffy ears;
- pain in the middle of the ear;
- change the color of the nose and the skin under the nose;
- the patient feels the intoxication of the organism;
- increased body temperature up to 39 degrees Celsius;
- deteriorating overall health.
Usually after the third day of formation rhinitis and receiving proper treatment, bacterial inflammation goes away. During the retreat of a cold the patient feels recovery of breath, edema of the mucosa, improvement in health. But patients complain of a purulent discharge from the sinuses.
It is known that in the third stage of inflammation of mucous becomes thick, purulent secretions, yellow or green. In some cases, the allocation penetrate the area of the pharynx, provoking the appearance of reflex cough.
This stage occurs during the week. The number of days may vary depending on treatment and immune system as a whole.
The usual duration of rhinitis takes up to twelve days.
With proper treatment already in the early stages the inflammation may go through three days without reaching the stage of formation of pus. Under adverse nature of the disease bacterial rhinitis can cause serious complications and cause the onset of sinusitis, tracheitis, adenoiditis.
The standard treatment
When these symptoms of inflammation, the doctor quickly determines the form and prescribes treatment. But to get it right, you need to install the root cause of the formation of the disease.
Bacterial rhinitis is usually easy to cure at home. To treat a runny nose in the hospital is required only in the case of acute inflammation, when there is a risk of consequences.
When bacterial rhinitis the patient must stay in bed and take plenty of fluids. Don’t forget to follow the room stay patient, keep the room and also hold wet cleaning.
In rhinitis, the cause of which was frostbite, it is necessary to conduct heat treatment. It is possible to soar feet in hot water or use an alcohol lotion. Don’t forget thermotherapy using salt washes and use the blue lamp.
Such procedures can only be performed in the absence of purulent discharge.
For a comprehensive treatment of bacterial rhinitis should use medication. The drug list included:
- Antiviral drugs that will reduce the development of bacteria and prevent their reproduction. For such purposes are the following drugs – «Interferon», «Acyclovir», «Remantadin», «Ingavirin», «Kagocel».
- In the case of strong raise the temperature of the patient will prescribe anti-inflammatories and painkillers – «Nurofen», «Paracetamol», «Nise», «Ketanov».
- To reduce swelling in the mucous membrane of necessary antihistamines medications «claritin», «Zyrtec», «Tavegil».
- In addition to antihistamines, you must apply vasoconstrictor drops. Nasal sprays will reduce the swelling and secretion of mucous secretions. For this prescribed «Vibrocil», «ksimelin», «Ephedrine», «Naphazoline».
- To decrease purulent discharge the patient is prescribed «Protargol» or «Collargol».
- In the case of formation of a purulent discharge, which are not amenable to treatment, the patient is prescribed antibiotics. In the acute phase are assigned to antibacterial drugs broad spectrum – «Izofra», «Polideksa», «Sofradeks», «Bioparoks».
- When taking antibiotics it is necessary to moisten the mucous membrane. Use apricot oil or special medication «Penal» or «Kameton.»
- Don’t forget to rinse with specialized solutions. For daily washing suitable for «constant stress» or «Physiomer».
At the possible risk of transition of the acute phase of rhinitis in chronic form the patient put bacterial vaccine.
If you notice that the treatment does not give proper result, you should consult with a qualified physician.
In the case of complications the patient may form an acute adenoiditis or sinusitis.
In this case, the patient will prescribe the administration of antibacterial tablets.
Treatment of bacterial rhinitis in children should be done with great care.
Often in inappropriate treatment in the acute stage passes quickly into the chronic form.
Remember that you can not lavage in case of inflammation in newborns. It is fraught with the penetration of the virus in the Eustachian tube. In addition, do not use antibacterial drugs in the treatment of children. Antibiotics in the early stages if bacterial rhinitis can significantly reduce the immune system and create resistant viruses.
How to treat bacterial runny nose in a child, should consult a specialist.
In the case of rhinitis, which is accompanied by mild symptoms, do not recommend the use of vasoconstrictor drugs. They should be applied only in the case of the risk of developing sinusitis or swelling of the mucous membrane. In other cases, such drugs are recommended to be replaced by a more gentle procedure, for example lavage.
To avoid rhinitis can adhering to preventive measures. To do this, strongly quenched the body and follow the diet. In taken the diet should be large amounts of vitamins. In the event of their failure the patient may need to use supplements.
To increase local protective reaction of the body having a nose lavage by using immunomodulators.