Bladder catheterization: procedure
By using the method of holding catherization in a muscular organ that performs the accumulation function and excretion of urine, it is possible to obtain both therapeutic and diagnostic results. Catheterization of the bladder for therapeutic purposes is performed with the use of radiopaque substances to get answers after conducting cystography.
Upon detection of some diseases using the introduction of pharmaceutical drugs. For therapeutic purposes katerinice is used to remove complicated violations of the outflow of urine, when it impossible to self-defecation and if you want to run through a catheter or lavage. In the diagnosis of bladder catheterization is performed to Refine the already obtained information or to determine the residual volume of urine.
A common view of the procedure of catherization
Catheterization of the bladder in women occurs with the introduction of a system of tubes placed in the path of urine, for the purpose of drainage and collection of urine from the bladder. Urinary catheters are widely used to correct incontinence or urinary retention for both women and men.
Different types of catheters can be used based on the existing problems of the patients. This procedure requires special attention and skill of the doctor. In some cases, catheterization of the bladder with the knowledge base basic information about this procedure can be carried out independently.
One of the important factors of the procedure is the risk of infection after all the manipulations. Before entering the tube into your urethra, there should be a thorough treatment with an antiseptic solution, the opening of the urinary canal. Then injected an anesthetic gel and carefully they must be lubricated end of the catheter. You also need to consult with your doctor about the physiological characteristics of urethral channel. As with self-introduction of the catheter it is possible to injury the channels, when ignorance of the catheter is inserted by false paths.
Catheterization of the bladder by surgery is the suprapubic drainage of the ureter. For surgery using local anesthesia. The data manipulations required when the patient establish permanent drainage. After surgery self-urination becomes impossible.
Therefore, doctors remove the obstruction of the urethra, bladder neck, it impossible to self-emission of urine. The operation fails when the patients have a small bladder volume, scar formation above the pubis. After surgery may arise various complications in the urinary streaks, bleeding, damage to the folds of the stomach, the intestines, the formation of peritonitis.
The catheter brings an invaluable aid if you need to hold the patient irrigation of the ureter, when in the inner space of the bladder was formed of purulent processes or cystitis. Also flush helps to cleanse the body from decay products of the tissues in the tumor, small stones.
In such cases, after removal of urine through the probing tool is introduced antiseptic liquid. Irrigation of the ureter through catherization can not be produced if the fresh injury on the urinary system or the bladder, acute urethritis.
Put the probe as a medical instrument to women and what set is required for the manipulation? Catheterization of the bladder in women is faster and easier than men.
Catheterization of the bladder occurs in women in the following order:
- Before proceeding to manipulation (or need to lavage), buy a full set, which includes the following equipment: catheter, moisturizing gel, a pair of medical gloves, clean wipes, syringe with water to inflate the balloon, the bag.
- Wash hands using antiseptic and to treat the external opening of the urethra, labia flowing movements from top to bottom, without affecting the anal area.
- Carefully put on medical gloves, avoiding touching with hands the outer surface of the gloves.
- Lubricate the tube.
- Dilute labia and accurately find the location of the organ of the urinary system.
- Slowly introduce the tube into the hole on the urinary system.
- Gently push the probe tool on the channel.
- When you see urine, the probing tool needs to move another couple of inches. Keep sounding the instrument in a fixed position, at a time when the inflation of the balloon. At occurrence of painful sensations and she should stop the process. After a short time produce a pumping cylinder and push the catheter another couple of inches and try again to inflate the balloon.
- After the introduction of the tube, lock it, and secure the receiver to the urine.
The types of catheters used in practice
Kinds of medical tubes can be subdivided by form, structure, composition, size. In medicine quite often use hard and soft catheter. Soft (rubber) catheter is a flexible tube, the length is thirty inches. A solid consists of a handle, stem and beak, the input end has a rounded shape. This catheter is made of a metal alloy.
The types of probing tools are divided into male and female. Women’s tubes can be manufactured up to a maximum twenty five centimeters, and men up to thirty. If the opportunity to carry out the procedure with a soft catheter, go to the introduction hard. All this is due to the structure of the urethra and in other individual aspects of the patient’s body. Depending on the condition of the patient apply suprapubic (permanent) and short term (periodic) types of probing medical instruments.
After prolonged stay of the probing tube in the body, in many cases, there are inflammatory processes in the urinary channel. Any tube material can cause irritation, and micro abrasions in the mucosa. And after removal of the probing tool doctors recommend a few days to do anti-inflammatory baths.
The alleged negative effects after a long walk with bladder tubes:
- The appearance of gallstones. Swelling and dropsy.
- Infectious diseases in blood and lymph.
- The allocation of blood with urine.
- Violation of the integrity of skin and urethra.
- Infection of the urinary tract and kidneys.
Catheterization of the bladder, as practice shows, in most cases, does not provide any complications to the health and General condition of the patient. The procedure is basically painless, provided that you comply with all the rules and algorithm of the process. You should be wary of the rough manipulations that can damage the urethra and bladder directly.