Bladder lavage: description of the procedure, recommendations
Some diseases of the bladder are accompanied by the stagnation of urine in it, the accumulation of pus. This complicates the course of disease, leads to further irritation of the walls of the body and severe inflammation. In such cases, positive therapeutic effect the irrigation of the bladder. Procedure to withdraw products of metabolism and to handle the damaged wall with an antiseptic solution, which leads to their rapid healing and the relief of the patient.
The usual practice is lavage in the treatment of acute infectious cystitis. In addition to the treatment of inflammatory conditions of various etiologies lavage is performed in the following cases:
- the stagnation of urine in the bladder result in kidney stones, tumors (adenoma of the prostate) or disorders of the neuromuscular apparatus of the body (paralysis, paresis, cramps);
- long-term use of medications that affect the lining of the bladder causing the changes.
- before performing cystoscopy.
Contraindications for the procedure
Therapeutic lavage can not be done in acute inflammations and injuries of the urethra (the urethra) and urinary bladder sphincter, as well as some sexually transmitted diseases (gonorrhea).
How is the wash?
Bladder lavage is performed in hospital using special tools. If necessary, the procedure can be done at home. A catheter for the lavage is introduced into the urethra, which explains the more simple manipulation in women with a relatively short and wide urethra. Self-introduction of catheter in males is difficult due to the fact that the urethra has considerable length and tapers in several places.
The necessary tools and means:
- rubber catheter;
- syringe 100-200 cubes or mug Esmarch;
- therapeutic solution (boric acid, penicillin, silver, potassium permanganate, protargol, collargol) or distilled water.
Water or liquid that is injected into the urethra, must be warm (have a body temperature).
Pre-calculates the bladder volume of a patient by measuring the amount of urine that is allocated for a single act of urination.
The patient takes the supine position on the back, bends his knees and spreads his thighs. The pelvis must lift. Convenient lavage in the treatment chair, where it is easier to provide a comfortable position.
Mug Esmarch fixed on a tripod at a height of half a meter.
- First of all, washed the urethra.
- Washed in a solution furatsilina the catheter is slowly and carefully pushed through the urethra. Signal reaching the bladder becomes the secretion of urine.
- All urine must be allowed to exit and then to the rubber catheter attached to a syringe or Cup and start the wash procedure.
- The amount of fluid which must be injected into the body individually, it depends on the volume of the bladder of the patient, which must be measured in advance. On average, it is 200-300 ml, which are introduced in small portions (50 ml).
- When stable urination in the toilet, the infusion is stopped, disconnect the syringe or Cup from the catheter, allowing urine to exit.
- Lavage continues until, until the liquid flowing from the catheter is clean. Usually it takes 8-10 reps.
- Finishing the procedure, the bladder is half filled medical solution. The catheter is removed.
- The patient should another half hour to be in a reclining position for maximum therapeutic effect.
The occurrence of severe pain is an indication of incorrect carrying out these procedures, excessive stretching of the bladder. In this case, it is necessary to stop the introduction of liquid and to let it quietly go out.
- The catheter can deliver unpleasant feelings, touching of the body wall. To remove them, you should slightly withdraw the tool (couple of inches).
- When you have a difficult catheter insertion, spasm of the urethra, the manipulation is halted. The patient should take several deep breaths and relax. Especially often this problem occur patients men.
- If the bleeding, immediately stop the procedure.
- If the solution doesn’t spring back, this indicates a blockage of the catheter. There is a mucus, which must be dissolved by rinsing the catheter with a special tool.
- Under insufficient aseptic processing tools it is possible to bladder infection, the development of inflammation, a rise in temperature.
- Careless introduction of the catheter possible injury of the urethra. Should be particularly attentive with metal tools, which are used for washing, for example, with prostate adenoma.
- To complications causes incorrect selection of drug, which can cause burns of mucous.
- The movement of the liquid inside the bubble leads to the movement of large urinary stones that can cause injuries.
Very important thorough preparation for the procedure, determine the volume of the body and the anatomical features of the urethra. When carrying out washing in the home requires special attention to the measures of asepsis.