Can you die from sinusitis: what are the odds of fatality
Die from sinusitis?
Sinusitis is a serious disease, characteristic feature of which is the development of the inflammatory process in the maxillary sinuses. The occurrence of this disease in almost every case, caused by repeated cold or untreated cold. Some people have formed an erroneous opinion that sinusitis can pass on its own, and if it occurs in mild form, it can’t even be treated.
In reality, the situation is quite different. A disease, such as sinusitis, to treat should be mandatory. Therapy should be initiated in a timely manner. Otherwise there may be serious complications, which often take the form of self-pathology and can cause patient’s death. And if you wonder: «died from sinusitis?», the answer is obvious: such an outcome is possible, especially if you run the disease. Although in each case all depends on the severity of illness, presence of associated pathologies, complications, and individual characteristics of the organism.
The reasons for the development of pathology
The main cause of the sinusitis is any infection in the nasal cavity with air or through blood. Among the indirect factors contributing to the violation of nasal breathing, isolated deformation of the nasal septum, rhinitis, allergic reactions and adenoids in children. An important role in the development of the disease plays a the immune system.
Causes of sinusitis there are many, among them are the following:
- injury of the nasal mucosa;
- getting into the nasopharynx viral and bacterial infections;
- the negative impact of chemical elements on the mucosa of the respiratory tract;
- running, bad teeth;
- a weak immune system;
- polyps in your nose;
- violation of the functional characteristics of secretory glands;
Sinusitis may occur due to such dangerous pathologies, such as pulmonary tuberculosis, cancer tumors, lesions of the nasal mucosa fungal infection.
In addition to the colds, accompanied by nasal congestion, the cause of sinusitis are often bad teeth, especially the upper. Typical manifestations are: the appearance of mucus, accumulation of mucus and pus secretion.
Among the typical signs of illness are the following:
- pressure at bridge of nose, worse when bending the head;
- the loss of smell;
- poor sleep;
- poor appetite;
- the twang in the voice;
- the occurrence of pain in the temporal region and the nose;
- runny nose;
- pain in the nasal area, forehead, gums and eye sockets;
- the increase in body temperature to 38 degrees;
- the loss of health.
Faced with such symptoms as runny nose and nasal congestion, few people think about whether it is possible from sinusitis to die.
The patient delays the visit to the doctor, hoping that the illness itself uses for the treatment of inappropriate drugs or folk remedies. Such attitude leads to disastrous consequences.
The probability of death in the sinus
The best results are obtained by the treatment of sinusitis in the beginning of its development. In this case there is almost no risk of death. If the time to take action, it is possible to exclude the development of complications. If you let it go, it is likely that the sinusitis from the acute form will go into the festering, which can lead to the development of other equally serious diseases.
Pathology in the acute form is characterized by active inflammation of the mucous membrane of the maxillary sinus, which has an impact on spider and connective tissue. The chronic process is accompanied by damage to the maxillary walls and submucosal tissue.
The probability of death in severe forms of sinusitis approximately 80%.
The most dangerous sinusitis is manifested in a latent form. Pathology asymptomatic patients noted fatigue and fatigue.
A considerable threat to human health are bad habits:
- Smoking in the sinusitis triggers the transition of the acute form of the disease in chronic. On the background of the disease increases the likelihood of developing cancer under the influence of nicotine.
- Alcohol leads to vasodilation, which promotes the penetration of infection into the bloodstream and reduces the body’s defense against disease-causing agent. Antibiotic therapy in this case loses its effectiveness.
The presence of harmful habits significantly increases the risk of death in the sinus. This fact must be considered in the treatment of disease.
Death by sinus infection may occur in case of inadequate treatment, which allowed the development of serious complications.
Inflammation of the maxillary sinuses can cause the emergence of threat States, often represents a disease with an independent current, including:
- the development of purulent inflammatory process in the maxillary bones;
- lesions of the visual organs (thrombosis of the orbital veins, swelling of eye tissue);
- complications in the kidneys, liver, heart muscle;
- dysfunction of the respiratory system;
- blood poisoning (sepsis).
The most dangerous cases are the brain lesions and infection of the patient’s blood. Disease progression is very fast and the probability of death is very high. That’s why to treat sinusitis need in a timely manner. In this case we apply conservative methods and laser therapy is carried out. In more complicated cases, appointed by lavage of the sinuses or made a puncture.
With timely and proper approach to the treatment of sinusitis does not pose great danger. But it should be remembered that sinusitis may die of complications.
The longer you postpone visit to the doctor, the longer you’re a «grandma’s techniques» or incorrectly chosen medication, the higher the probability of death.