Bleeding from an ear — a sign of pathology?
The blood from the ear is always a sign of pathological processes in the body. The symptom indicates damage to the ear or to the development of diseases.
Traumatic causes of injuries are in the external effects on the elements of the ear, due to which their integrity is violated. Such consequences may result:
- Cleaning ears with cotton swabs — the least dangerous reason due to which bleeding from the ear. A cotton swab can scratch the skin of the ear canal, especially easy this way damage the child’s ear. This injury does not require medical care is enough to wash the wound with boiled water and put a tampon with antiseptic (Chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide). However, if the wand is pushed too deeply into the ear or when cleaning the man made a sudden movement can damage the eardrum. Perforation is accompanied by severe pain, tinnitus and hearing loss. In this case, you need to go to the doctor. Slight injury with treatment heal within a few weeks. If the injury is extensive, you may need surgery — tympanoplasty.
- Foreign body in the ear — a common cause of bleeding from ear in children. Children 1-3 years in the game sometimes put into the ear canal parts of toys, buttons, little figures. Parents may not notice this until you see the blood from the ear, irritability, inflammation of the ear canal. The child can hold onto the ear and scream when you try to take away the handle and examine the sink. To remove the object from the ear can not, otherwise, you can drive it even deeper. The child should be as quickly as possible to take to the audiologist.
- Shock in the ear is usually accompanied by bruising and swelling, but in some cases due to rupture of the skin of the auditory canal can cause bleeding. The wound should be washed with a swab of cotton wool and gauze soaked in antiseptic. To stop the development of hematoma and blood flow, you can apply a cooling compress by wrapping ice in a towel or several layers of cheesecloth.
- Injuries to the skull during head injuries, concussion, fractures of the skull. The blood from the ear is in large quantity, also nausea, dizziness, headache, vomiting. In such a situation, the bleeding due to damage to the temporal bone, a ruptured eardrum, trauma to major vessels and of the mucous membrane of the middle ear. Bleeding may occur immediately after exposure, and after a few hours, if in the cranial cavity formed hematoma. Head trauma and bleeding from the ear the patient is placed on its side so that fluid freely flowed from the meatus, and then call an ambulance.
- A sharp pressure drop, for example, when immersed in water to a greater depth, is the cause of the rupture of the tympanic membrane; the ear while bleeding. State requires professional assistance.
Pathological States and diseases
Often the blood from the ear is due to inflammatory and infectious diseases, tumor formation and some other pathological conditions:
- Hypertension. Why some people with high blood pressure bleeding from nose and ears, and others this symptom does not develop? On the occurrence of bleeding affect the condition of blood vessels: the weaker the wall, the more likely bleeding. In the case of hypertension the blood for a long time does not stop, there are dizziness, throbbing pain in his head, spots before eyes, nausea, reddening of the skin.
- Middle purulent otitis media in the acute phase, occurs due to bacterial, fungal or viral lesions. This is a fairly common disease, and to answer why it arose, is not difficult. The most common reasons for hypothermia head, finding in the draft, listening to music at high volume in headphones. The child this type of otitis media occurs if while bathing in his ear hit the water, and he couldn’t get her out of there to pour. The disease is characterized by pain, radiating to the temple, hearing loss, ear congestion, increased body temperature to 38-39 ° C. When otitis media in the acute phase pus mixed with blood comes in 2-3 days without treatment. The appearance of a liquid tells about perforated eardrum. The treatment prescribed by the doctor-the otolaryngologist. In therapy includes the use of drops with antibiotics (antimicotice, antiviral components), taking analgesics, antihistamines, and antipyretics drugs, flushing the ears with saline. If not treated, chronic otitis media can cause the development of meningitis.
- Furuncle of the ear. Many people somehow ignore the first symptoms of this disease is the narrowing of the external opening of the ear canal, itchy in ear. Meanwhile, these signs of development of purulent inflammation of the sebaceous, sulfuric glands or hair follicles, located in the ear canal. The cause of the disease microtrauma of the skin and reproduction in them of Staphylococcus aureus. If you skip the first stage, the inflammation extends and is accompanied by pain radiating to the jaw, and rise in temperature. Gradually, the boil ripens and bursts, coming from the pus and blood. To avoid complications will help the therapy prescribed by the doctor-otolaryngologist. Usually the treatment is to apply drops with antibiotics and pain medicine.
- Candidiasis ear — a disease triggered by activity of conditionally pathogenic yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida. Why infection in the ear, depends on the immune status of the patient. Usually preceded by the candidiasis of the vagina, glans penis, or mucous membranes of the mouth, decreased immunity. Fungi adversely act on blood vessels located in the ear, making them fragile. They also provoke itching and maceration of the skin. Bleeding from the ears is a complication of candidiasis that occurs if you do not treat the disease.
- Benign tumors. Why are there tumors in the ear, science can not yet answer. Benign tumors include polyps, which sometimes appear after purulent otitis media. They represent tissue growths attached to the mucous membrane of the ear. If the damage of a polyp from the ear bleeding and pus. Another benign tumor called glamurnoe. It occurs in the bulb of the jugular and grow and injure the ear canal. The development of these formations are accompanied by hearing loss and itching, so a consultation with an otolaryngologist should be raised the question of their removal.
- A malignant neoplasm. Called carcinoma cancerous tumor of epithelial cells of the middle ear. Growing, it compresses and damages the blood vessels that leads to bleeding. Treatment of tumors involved the oncologist.
Bleeding from the ear is a dangerous symptom, and if it was not triggered by minor mechanical damage, the patient should soon consult a doctor.