Brain hemorrhage in newborns
Births are difficult, though a physiological process, and always unpredictable. Various adverse factors can affect pregnancy and the birth itself, causing complications. One of the most dangerous is the brain hemorrhage of the newborn, or cephalohematoma.
Causes and risk factors
Bleeding in the brain, just born baby may be a consequence of pathologically proceeding pregnancy or birth trauma. The risk of intracranial hematomas exist in the first week of life. The main mechanisms influencing the formation of intracerebral hematoma in neonates:
- abnormal pregnancy in which the fetus is suffering from intrauterine infection with microorganisms affecting the vascular wall, either from hypoxia (oxygen starvation);
- the birth of a premature or, conversely, post-term infant;
- large fruit with inappropriate size of the baby’s head and the birth canal of the mother;
- childbirth with a breech presentation;
- rapidly deliveries;
- the protracted process of labor activity;
- the use of the obstetric forceps, the errors of health workers in the management of labor;
- a cesarean delivery.
The types of pathology
Symptoms of bleeding into the brain in newborns
For any kind of brain hemorrhage in newborns characterized several common symptoms that indicate the presence of pathology:
- lethargy, detachment, lethargy behavior;
- frequent regurgitation and vomiting;
- cramps due to compression of brain tissue.
When hemorrhage into the deeper parts of the brain will be observed:
Hypertension is no longer a disease?
Doctors are shocked by the statement, the chief cardiac surgeon in the country Leo Beaucaire.
- oppression to a complete absence of pupillary reaction to light;
- a sudden disturbance of function of limbs on the same (affected) side of hemiplegia;
- slowing of the cardiac rhythm – the development of bradycardia;
- the development of hypothermia – lowering the temperature of the body;
- a violation of the respiratory rhythm;
- falling into a state of deep coma.
In hemorrhages in the substance of the brain (grey and/or white):
- accordionist in space;
- irritability or sudden confusion;
- the appearance of hemiplegia;
- pathological stopnye syndromes (reflex extension of the toes with light tapping on it).
Hemorrhage in the tissue of the cerebellum:
- disturbed consciousness;
- constricted pupils;
- tension of the occipital muscles with rotated head position back or to the side;
- persistent evasion of view;
- uncontrollable vomiting;
- uncoordinated movements.
Bleeding in the adrenal glands
Such a pathological condition in newborns, occurs when the forceps and other supplementary benefits in childbirth and also in the breech. Passing through the birth canal, the child receives an injury to internal organs and rupture of blood vessels. The «bright period» without any symptoms lasts about two days. Then comes the sharp deterioration of the newborn:
- muscle hypotonia or atony (lack of tone);
- atony of the intestine;
- repeated regurgitation and vomiting;
- a drop in blood pressure with inhibition of consciousness.
Methods of diagnosis of hemorrhage:
- computed tomography;
- lumbar puncture with subsequent analysis of liquor;
- blood tests: coagulation, General and detailed analysis;
Therapeutic measures are aimed at stopping bleeding, normalization of the functioning of the Central and peripheral nervous system, restoration of the respiratory system, cardiovascular system, adrenal glands, which suffer not only when hemorrhage directly in their tissue, but also in intracranial hematomas. Therapies can include the following:
Overcame hypertension for 1 month
After 10 years of struggle with the disease Oleg Tabakov has told how was able to get rid of hypertension.
- infusion of blood substitutes (isotonic sodium chloride solution, ringer solution);
- the introduction of diuretics (Diacarb, Lasix);
- lumbar puncture to reduce intracranial pressure;
- introduction hemostatic drugs (aminocaproic acid, etamzilat sodium Menadione);
- in adrenal insufficiency – introduction of the steroid drug Hydrocortisone (adrenal hormone);
- when excited by the introduction of tranquilizers and sedative drugs (Droperidol, Phenobarbital, Diazepam);
- the introduction of products with micro — and macroelements (potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, calcium gluconate).
In extremely severe cases, according to the testimony surgical treatment – excision of the hematoma.
After suffering a hemorrhage in children require the supervision of a neonatologist, a neurologist, and then as a pediatrician. Need careful maintenance, required daily massage with gymnastics. At an older age if needed, lessons with a speech therapist to establish a correct speech function.