Burst vessels in the eye: what photo
Subconjunctival hemorrhage, or subconjunctival bleeding is blood under the conjunctiva as a result of rupture of the vascular wall. It is the most common pathology among all types of hemorrhages in the organ of vision.
Localization of hemorrhage in the eye that occur as a result of the bursting of the vessel
- subconjunctival (hypospermia) – blood under the conjunctiva;
- hyphema – accumulation of blood in the anterior eye chamber;
- haemorrhage in the retina;
- bleeding in the eye socket;
- hemophthalmus – the presence of blood in the vitreous body.
The etiology of the hemorrhage
The causes of pathology are numerous. Conditionally they can be divided into several groups.
Exogenous causes (not associated with the disease and resulting effects on the body physical factors):
- eye strain under prolonged load on the visual analyzer;
- changes in atmospheric pressure;
- bright sun;
- sharp change of weather conditions (affects the well-being meteodependent patients);
- dry air, dusty or smoky areas;
- the use of masks for diving;
- hypothermia or Vice versa, a high temperature (for example, when visiting the sauna or steam room at the bath);
- bad habits – Smoking, alcoholism;
- poor nutrition, frequent consumption of coffee;
- eye injuries of varying severity (from a simple rough potiranie the eye to penetrating wounds);
- foreign body.
Endogenous reasons related to the health of the patient or the processes in the body:
Hypertension no longer a death sentence?
The cardiologist said that there is finally a cure for hypertension …
- closed craniocerebral injury;
- a sharp jump of arterial pressure;
- thinning of the blood (a side effect of certain medications);
- attempts with constipation or during childbirth;
- postoperative complications of microsurgery of the eye (e.g. LASIK);
- the fragility of the vascular walls (occurs when taking certain medications, and diseases);
- Valsalva test – the functional test for the diagnosis of certain diseases;
- increased venous pressure (severe coughing, sneezing, lifting, or vomiting).
Diseases which may develop subconjunctival hemorrhage:
- severe hypertension;
- various endocrine pathologies, in particular, diabetic retinopathy (a complication of diabetes);
- outer exudative-hemorrhagic retinitis Coates – disease, which widens the lumen of blood vessels and increases the permeability of their walls;
- the syndrome of «dry eye»;
- acute bacterial, viral, hemorrhagic conjunctivitis or keratitis;
- pathology of blood vessels – systemic vasculitis (Wegener’s granulomatosis, Takayasu’s disease, hemorrhagic vasculitis, temporal arteritis, behçet’s syndrome);
- leptospirosis and infection, occur at high temperatures;
- lupus erythematosus;
- a vitamin deficiency, especially lack of vitamins C and P;
- tumor (cause deformation of vessels and their destruction);
- attack of glaucoma;
- the syndrome of intracranial hypertension (with neurocirculatory dystonia, migraines, tumors, etc., as well as idiopathic origin);
- hematologic diseases – leukemia, lymphoma, myelodysplastic syndrome;
- congenital or acquired coagulopathy (bleeding disorder) – thrombocytopenic purpura, hemophilia;
- Sjogren’s syndrome is an autoimmune systemic disease that affects the glands of external secretions, including the tear that leads to the development of the syndrome of «dry eye»;
- thrombocytopenia and thrombocytopathy.
In an infant, even a newborn, can occur when a lack of vitamin C, syndrome or traumatic asphyxia as a result of strong crying.
Symptoms of subconjunctival hemorrhage
The General condition of the patient, who has burst blood vessels in the eye depends on the cause of the hemorrhage. Visually under the conjunctiva it is possible to see a spot of bright red. Its dimensions are very different. Gradually over time, it acquires a green or yellow color. Completely disappears in about two weeks. Subconjunctival itself is painless hemorrhage, visual acuity at it remains, and broken blood vessels are gradually being restored.
Symptoms of bleeding into the anterior eye chamber
Hyphema develops mainly in case of accident or attack of glaucoma. The blood visible to the naked eye. It collects in the lower portion of the front surface of the eye.
Symptoms of bleeding in the retina
Hemorrhage occurs as a result of the jump in blood pressure, retinopathy or vascular pathology of the retina. Main features:
Overcame hypertension for 1 month
After 10 years of struggle with the disease Oleg Tabakov has told how was able to get rid of hypertension.
- blurred vision.
- flies flashing before my eyes;
- the presence of blind spots in the field of view.
Bleeding is considered a serious disease and can lead to complete loss of vision.
Symptoms of bleeding in the eye socket
Bleeding is characteristic of eye injury. The blood into the retrobulbar fat. Occurs exophthalmos (exophthalmia). May be periorbital edema and hematoma under eye – traces injuries. Patient complaints – the pain, the split objects in the eyes, inability to move eye.
The symptoms of hemorrhage into the vitreous body
When the blood enters the vitreous body, its transparency disappears, the result of which affects vision. This is a severe pathology, which is often caused due to injury.
How to treat bleeding?
Treatment of subconjunctival hemorrhage depends on the precipitating factors. With isolated subconjunctival hemorrhage drug therapy is the use of lubricants – moisturizing drugs that are instilled 4 to 6 times a day. In the absence of infection or injury during the month usually comes self-treatment. If healing processes are very slow, it is recommended to take a blood test and coagulogram time to stop bleeding.
The patient should be warned by the doctor that the first spot size may increase slightly, and over time it will change color, becoming yellowish or greenish tint. The natural color of the sclera and the bursting of the vessel is eventually restored.
What to do at home?
If the burst vessel in the result of eyestrain, lack of sleep, excessive exercise, or if excessive intake of alcoholic drinks is enough to give the eyes and the entire body just relax. It is best in this situation will help a long sleep. If the reason is dry air in the room (during the heating season or when air conditioning is constantly running), you need to install humidifiers. In the bright sun to use sunglasses or hats with a wide brim.
Avoid dusty and smoke-filled rooms, to temporarily refuse to visit the bath or sauna, warm up with hypothermia or to take an analgesic at high temperature – all the patient needs to be aimed at addressing the causes of the hemorrhage. Avoiding harmful habits nutrition correction, adherence – is not only preventive measures, but also part of the therapy. If the hemorrhage occurred on the background of other pathologies, do not waste time and immediately seek qualified help.
What not to do when a broken vessel in your eye?
- Avoid rubbing your eyes and touching them with dirty hands;
- it is impossible to independently assign itself an treatment and prescribe medications;
- it is not necessary to wash the eyes with tea brewing;
- do not use vasoconstrictor drops.
In any cases, you should seek the advice of an ophthalmologist?
- The spot of blood on the sclera over time, not decreases or increases in size;
- the re-appearance of a subconjunctival hemorrhage;
- the blur prevents the vision;
- a sharp decline in visual acuity.
- the development of additional symptoms like pain, itching, burning, epiphora, photophobia, or swelling;
- pus draining from the eye.
All this testifies to the diseases of the organs of vision, and if not to begin immediate treatment, possible complications and reduction in visual acuity up to blindness.
When should you seek help from a qualified specialist?
First of all, it concerns those people who have very often burst blood vessels, and if the hemorrhage is a symptom or complication of serious pathologies listed above. In vain attempts because of the constant constipation, which can provoke rupture of the vessel, you also need to consult a doctor. He will prescribe appropriate medication and correct diet.
With an overdose of anticoagulants included in the treatment of some pathologies – atrial fibrillation, thrombophilia, ischemic heart disease, it is possible the development of subconjunctival hemorrhage. In such cases you will have to visit a doctor to find an appropriate medication or changed the dosage.
If a vessel burst in the patient with hypertension, measure blood pressure and take prescribed antihypertensive medications, with pain in heart, chew two Aspirin. At high numbers, indicating a hypertensive crisis, to call an ambulance for its relief.
When glaucoma attack every 15 minutes to set a 1% solution of pilocarpine. A pain to remove by the introduction of parenteral analgesics. Taking any diuretic drug such as Furosemide. These activities contribute to the reduction of intraocular pressure and prevent ruptures of the capillary wall. However, the patient in this state hospitalization in the hospital.
Preparations for local treatment
When subconjunctival hemorrhage the patient will help the following medications:
- Visine. Vasoconstrictor and anti-edema drug. Quickly removes slight redness, eliminates the feeling of discomfort in the eyes. The effect of the drops lasts for 8 – 12 hours. It is impossible to apply with increased intraocular pressure and individual sensitivity. The course of treatment is not more than 4 days, otherwise it may be addictive.
- Taufon. Used to accelerate tissue regeneration. Drops are good for eye strain. Normalize blood circulation, stimulate the metabolism and energy processes, stabilize the intraocular pressure. Prescribe not only when subconjunctival hemorrhage, but also for the treatment of retinal diseases, in injuries of the cornea, cataract and conjunctivitis. Taufon is contraindicated in pregnancy and individual intolerance of taurine that is part of the drug. Not indicated for patients under 18 years.
- Defiles. Eye drops relieve dryness and irritation of the conjunctiva. The funds will help in those cases where the hemorrhage was the result of microtrauma. The drug is also prescribed for conjunctivitis and keratitis.
- The emoxipin. Effectively helps with hemorrhage. Bury it not less than 3 times a day 1 drop. The course of treatment can last for about a month.
- Drops «Natural tear». Designate patients who wear contact lenses. Often such people because of insufficient moistening of the conjunctiva begin to burst blood vessels. The drug helps to maintain normal hydration levels.
- Stillavin. Drops complex action. They moisten the conjunctiva, relieve inflammation, stimulate the healing process.
- Vitamin complexes with beta-carotene and blueberry extract. In some cases, help to eliminate traces of even very large bruises of the eyeball.
- «Axial», «Artificial tears», «Optiva», «Oftagel» — these medicines help to maintain natural moisture level of the conjunctiva.
Any drug for the treatment must be prescribed by a doctor. Only after consultation with him you can begin to eliminate the consequences of the hemorrhage.