Lymphocytes increased, neutrophils increased
Leukocytes − white blood cells, which is of great importance for immune protection. Among their main functions: absorption and dissolution of foreign particles from outside the body, and also destruction of tumor cells. To combat external threats, the white blood cells produce antibodies. Lymphocytes and neutrophils are types of leukocyte cells.
For people of all ages there are rules on the total number of leukocytes and each of the species separately. Deviations from the norm in more or less evidence of serious changes in the body and are often a sign of disease. The increase in the level of lymphocytes is called lymphocytosis, neutrophils – neutrophilia or neutrophilia.
Lymphocytosis and its causes
In most cases the human body starts producing extra lymphatic cells to protect from external infections. Many diseases of infectious nature (chicken pox, measles, tuberculosis, etc.) lead to an increase in the concentration of lymphocytes in the blood in 1.5 − 2 times. Usually, a strong increase in the number of lymphocytes occurs simultaneously with the increase in the temperature of the human body or in the course of chronic disease. The lymphocyte count returns to normal immediately after recovery of the person. Normal blood 19 − 37% of lymphocytes relative to total number of leukocyte cells. In addition to infectious diseases, there are many other reasons why lymphocytes are raised:
- Hyperimmunity – excessive activity of the immune system where the body reacts disproportionately strongly to external stimuli. In this case, the lymphocytosis may be due even common colds.
- Leukemia, lymphocytic type, with the growth of the tumor in the bone marrow. In this disease the content of lymphocytes often grows in 5 – 6 times. If the content of lymphocytes or other cells of the immune system grows 3 times or more, it indicates the presence of the cancer process.
- Mononucleosis – an infection of viral nature, characterized in that the cells of viruses are located in the lymphatic tissues. Their presence provokes an increase in the synthesis of lymphocytes.
- Autoimmune diseases such as lupus erythematosus. With this diagnosis it is the lymphocytes attack the body’s own tissues.
- Multiple myeloma is a type of malignant tumor of the bone marrow. Along with other clinical manifestations, causes an increase in synthesis of lymphocytes.
- Crohn’s disease leads to accumulation of lymphocytes in the blood and subsequent infiltration of intestinal tissues with the formation of inflammations and sores.
Hypertension in the past now?
Cardiologists risk to remain without work — hypertension now curable!
Neutrophilia and its causes
Neutrophils – the most abundant type of white blood cell. There are 6 stages of development of these immune cells. Their quantitative ratio (WBC) is one of the most important diagnostic indicators of the condition of the body. In normal relation to the total number of leukocytes in the blood of a healthy person contains 48 − 78% neutrophils (47 − 72% of segmented 1 − 6% of band).
The higher total number of neutrophils in infections, the more severe the disease. The level of neutrophils may go beyond the upper normal range for the following reasons:
- infectious diseases of bacterial origin, accompanied by acute inflammation and suppuration;
- necrosis (as a consequence of myocardial infarction, stroke, gangrene, severe burns);
- tumor of malignant nature.
- poisoning by toxins from a pronounced effect on the bone marrow (alcohol, heavy metals);
- poisoning toxins of bacterial nature in the absence of infection by a microorganism (for example, consumption of food with toxins of botulism, but does not contain live bacteria).
As the level of lymphocytes is restored not at once after recovery of the patient, high numbers of neutrophils can be indicative of recent disease. Neutrophilia is not always evidence of a pathological process in the body. Sometimes slight increase in the level of neutrophils in the absence of other symptoms is a normal variant. Possible causes of temporary increase in the level of neutrophils in a healthy body:
- high physical load;
The increase in the number of lymphocytes and neutrophils is not an independent disease, but a nonspecific symptom of other diseases. It is impossible to reduce the level of leukocytes, without knowing the true cause of this symptom, as elevated levels of immune cells is a key factor in protecting the body against dangers. Only after an accurate diagnosis and development of treatment programs causes of leukocytosis can start to reduce the level of lymphocytes and neutrophils in the blood.