Sclerosis of the aorta of the heart: what is it?
The aorta is one of the most important blood vessels in the human body. It starts its movement to tissues arterial blood, rich with oxygen and nutrients. Sclerosis, or narrowing of the aorta occurs for many reasons and reduces the amount of arterial blood flowing to the tissues. Knowing the causes of this disease, you can prevent its occurrence and to prevent the serious consequences of this disease.
Sclerosis of the aorta of the heart. What is it?
This is a disease that is manifested by narrowing of the lumen of the aorta and occurs when the condition of the high content of cholesterol in the blood. The excess of cholesterol deposited on endothelium (inner wall) of the vessel, gradually forming atherosclerotic plaque. Over time it increases in size, attach it to salts of calcium and platelets circulating in the blood. All this creates a huge plaque, which reduces the lumen of the aorta and blocks blood flow to the tissues. Multiple sclerosis can occur in any of the divisions of the aorta – thoracic and abdominal. Depending on this will differ and symptoms characteristic of sclerosis of the aorta.
Causes and risk factors of sclerosis of the aorta
- Atherosclerosis and obesity. For these diseases characterized by elevated cholesterol and low-density lipoproteins, which in excess are prone to accumulation and the formation of the walls of blood vessels, including the aorta, atherosclerotic plaques.
- Diabetes, which leads to a significant decrease in elasticity of the vessel walls.
- Hypertension. The disease accompanied by high blood pressure, which is characterized by spasm of the blood vessels. In high cholesterol and narrowed vessel atherosclerotic plaque will form much faster.
- The lack of exercise. Reduced physical activity leads to slowing of blood flow in vessels, which promotes thrombus formation and growth of atherosclerotic plaques.
- Frequent stress. Each stress is accompanied by the release of adrenaline, vascular spasm, high blood pressure, which reduces the elasticity of blood vessels.
- Autoimmune diseases. For this pathology typical of immune aggressiveness to the surrounding connective tissues of the body, including blood vessels.
- Alcohol abuse, Smoking, drug use.
Symptoms of sclerosis of the thoracic aorta
This portion of the aorta, supply the arterial blood, and therefore oxygen and nutrients, the head (brain), neck, upper limb and thorax (heart, lungs). With the defeat of the thoracic aorta symptoms will be manifested on the part of these bodies. It should be noted that the disease may for a long time does not manifest any symptoms and is detected only with the development of severe complications.
Hypertension is no longer a disease?
Doctors are shocked by the statement, the chief cardiac surgeon in the country Leo Beaucaire.
This portion of the vessel supplies blood to the digestive tract, kidneys, bladder, uterus and ovaries in women, prostate and seminal glands in males and the lower limbs. Accordingly, the symptoms of sclerosis of the abdominal part will be manifested on the part of these bodies.
A serious complication of sclerosis of the abdominal aorta is a blockage by a blood clot mesenteric arteries, which is manifested sharp pain in the abdomen and can cause necrosis (death) of the tissues of the intestine.